Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:34 PM   #11

No.A work only enters the public domain after its copyright expires (see http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc) or after the copyright holder explicitly releases the copyright to the public domain. I don't believe either of these events has occurred.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:17 PM   #12

There is a PDF file to download and print that you can sign that releases Wal-Mart for any liability when you come to get your pictures. Problem is, you won't know when or who is going to pull the plug on what they will or will not print. Kind of inconvenient for what was supposedly thought to be economical and convenient.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:35 PM   #13

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:
The only reason to go to Wal-Mart is if you don't have a Target close by. You wonder if anyone in the whole of Wal-Mart knows what the word clean means.

Target has refused to print for a photographer friend of mine before. We all have our reasons for where we shop. [but yes, I seldom shop at Walmart (or Target for that matter). Actually, I'm a Lowe's, Home Depot kind of shopper, arggh, arggh. ]
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:52 AM   #14

It is not only these big places, my wife (runs the business side of our studio) tried to have brochures printed up at Staples. They refused until I gave them a release for the image used on the front. They could make out the copyright at the bottom of the image. This was right after the big copyright infringement court cases, I think they have relaxed a bit by now.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:34 AM   #15

May I suggest squirl033 wrote:

Quote:
beernutz wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
beernutz wrote:
Quote:
Ironically you have likely violated the copyright of the online newspaper by posting the story in this forum. :-)
probably not, since she did include the author, date, and original periodical in which it was published.

snip
Actually probably so, since the right to distribute the copywritten work lies solely with the copyright holder.
ah, but isn't a news article in a published periodical considered to be in the public domain, and therefor open for distribution as long as the author is credited with the work?
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:37 AM   #16

OK final post since I am doing something wrong

Use http://www.winkflash.com/

Download your photos. 12 cents each for 4x6 and 99 cents postage.

No more Wal-Mart
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:52 AM   #17

There were no copywrite violations. If you link to the site you will see you are allowed to 1)save it, 2)e-mail it, and 3)print it. The only way for it to be a violation is if the site explicitly stated "do not link to this site/article and/or do not reproduce this aritcle without written permission".
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:19 PM   #18

JohnJ wrote:
Quote:
There were no copywrite violations. If you link to the site you will see you are allowed to 1)save it, 2)e-mail it, and 3)print it. The only way for it to be a violation is if the site explicitly stated "do not link to this site/article and/or do not reproduce this aritcle without written permission".
Yes, but John what was done in this case was not any of those three things.What was done is that the work was republished in its entireity on another web site. Not even Fair Use is going to allow that.

The right to distribute and reproduce a work lies with the copyright holder and no explicit prohibition needs to be included, such as the one you wrote, in order to maintain that right.

I guess I'm tired of beating my head against the wall on this thread so this will be my last post on it. Do what you like, believe what you like. But I might suggest checking out the US copyright site I listed above as well as www.benedict.com for some actual copyright facts.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:52 PM   #19

To Beernutz

My post was not meant to disagree with you because I do agree with what you've said. I should have added: "The way the post is now..." since the republished works has been removed. And, the last part of my post that said, "...and/or do not reproduce this article without written permission" is incorrect, as you pointed out. So, I apologize for any 'head banging' I have caused.

John
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:21 PM   #20

That is interesting news. However how many people who are serious about their pictures would use Walmart to print them?
I would imagine most hobbyists as well as professionals would use companies who actually care about the results of the prints.
Digital photography is really suffering from bad printing...grazy over saturated colours etc.
I use Jessops in London who also do have a net service and they are not only hobbyists but serious photographers shop and thus you can get good results.
My only gripe is that when it appears that digital cameras are outselling film why do they still print on wrong size papers thus either cutting off some of your photo or if you choose fit to paper leave one white bit on top and one on bottom. One would imagine they would have woken up to the standard sizes of digital photos by now.
Am I alone in thinking this strange?
:?:
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote