Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:46 PM   #21

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:21 AM   #22

Jake D wrote:
Quote:
Good motivation to buy a photo printer. It seems ironic that they are concerned about copyrights when most of their junk is imported from China.

"half-educated, minimum-wage clerk"
Probably hard for them to get an education when they work for an anti-union, pro-global company where half the employees are on food stamps because they are making an income under the poverty level. I doubt the people who made the decision are half educated or making anywhere near minimum.
I assume you're referring to China's 'reluctance' to acknowledge copyrights. Rest of the post doesn't belong on this forum AFAIC.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:10 PM   #23

The solution is simple.. Stay away from Wal-mart.. One of the NASTIEST places I've ever been in..... once. Target isn't much better. :G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:06 AM   #24

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
It is not only these big places, my wife (runs the business side of our studio) tried to have brochures printed up at Staples. They refused until I gave them a release for the image used on the front. They could make out the copyright at the bottom of the image. This was right after the big copyright infringement court cases, I think they have relaxed a bit by now.

Peter
Same problem at Walmart. They have a pre-printed release form. I only had to sign it once and now they'll print all of my photos with no more hassles. -- Wayne
graphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:46 AM   #25

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:55 AM   #26

:GJake D.

Too funny and also very true. Sense of humor is marked down at Wal Mart but since quite a few don't shop there then I guess buying a clue is out of the question too.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:19 AM   #27

I don't think criticism of the huge (multinational) companies is off topic when they do deal with photography. They are also killing off all small independent companies.
It is great to be able to support smaller home made shops or even chains and there does tend to be less exploitation of the workforce.
These huge companies have managed to change the western world into one where every street has the same shops...how boring is that and ultimately it leads to less choice for the consumer. What these international companies have done to London's West End for instance is very very sad.
Smaller photo shops and chains also actually care about photography and have far more knowledgeable staff - in my nearest shop (Jessops) they seem to employ lots of photography students for instance who all can give you good advise. And they do several types of printing from self use machines to professional level.

Speaking of pretty pictures Jake D....your avatar is very cute! Are they yours?
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:01 PM   #28

I have a clue (didn't buy it at WalMart though.) Maybe Jake bought his humor at a Walmart mark down sale.

Then again, maybe I'm just having a bad day and being too 'sensitive'. I'd have appreciated his line more if he had quoted "Half educated minimum wage clerk" (their words, not mine) followed with just
" I doubt the people who made the decision are half educated or making anywhere near minimum."

BTW Jake, the reason I put the word reluctance in marks was because I am totally aware of China's marketing. IOW, to "clue" you in that I WAS aware. I don't think it is WalMart's job to police it. But I DO think China needs some 'pursuading' in that regard.

Things work out. I remember when K-Mart was king, I remember when Sears was king...

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
:GJake D.

Too funny and also very true. Sense of humor is marked down at Wal Mart but since quite a few don't shop there then I guess buying a clue is out of the question too.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:23 PM   #29

Apparently Wal-Mart isn't the only offender, though they seem to be the worst...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050616/...ng_frustration

I get my prints done at the local Kit's Camera store. I take my SD card in , upload the pics to their machine, and that's it. An hour later, I have beautiful 8x10's or 5x7's in hand. Might cost me a little more than Wal-Mart, but I know my dollars are not going to put warheads on Chinese missiles, and the staff there are professional and courteous.

FYI, I recently sent off one of my pics to Adorama.com for printing at 11x14 (the Kit's shop maxes out at 10x13, oddly enough... ), and had no problem whatsoever. Plus it was cheaper, even with shipping, than getting an 11x14 print made at one of the two or three labs in this area that can actually print that big...

Moral of the story? Don't even try to get prints made at "big-box" stores like Wal-Mart, or cheapo chain drugstores like Walgreen's. Either buy a photo-quality-printer and do it yourself (ink and paper get spendy, but you do have complete control), or take your shots to a local photo lab where the staff know what they're doing, and where they can get to know you and your work.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:37 PM   #30

That's a weird country you folks live in! Here in Australia there's a note on the machine that says, more or less, "If you violate copyright it's on your own head". The photo printing people aren't a branch of the copyright enforcement industry.

On a more general note, copyright has changed dramatically in recent years, both from an "opt-in" to an "opt-out" system, and from a "most uses are OK" to "most uses are forbidden" model. Whenever I get a chance, I complain to my elected representatives about this. Of course, they don't care, but that's because not enough people are complaining yet.

So, if bizarre side-effects of copyright law (like the stuff discussed in this thread) are getting in the way of your enjoyment of life, complain both to the store management and to your elected representatives. Eventually there will be reform.

PS This dialog box won't let me have white on black text?! Hope that "lime" is OK!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote