Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:25 PM   #1

I own a FZ15 and I just love it...I dont think that for this price and quality any camera can even come close to it. However, the question is not for me...It is for my brother who wants to upgrade from his current p&s compact digital camera to a prosumer (I am not sure whether I can call FZ15/20 prosumer:?). He thinks that I know a lot about photography (Dont know much...but getting there...). So he decided to walk on my footsteps and order a FZ15...
Now I was tempted to tell him to buy FZ20...but I have not seen any side by side comparisons of Image shot by both the cameras under similar conditions. I tend to believe that FZ15 being a 4mp with similar sized ccd would have a tad better quality of image than FZ20...BUT the problem is that I DONT KNOW FOR SURE IFTHIS IS TRUE.

Please help and let me know if there are any such comparisons available. To me and him..Image Quality is the decision maker..

Thanks
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2

due to the greater MP in the FZ20 the noise is slightly less on the FZ15. however, that's where it stops. the FZ20 has a hotshoe, which comes in handy(external flashes will become a must soon...you'll see) and imo the FZ20 is a better choice, but that's becaused i have one and im biased:|
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:40 PM   #3

You asked a very good question since there is not much as far as FZ15 posters or users that post like the FZ20 here.

I do have the FZ1v2 that is now in Hawai'i (being borrowed by a friend). The FZ10 and the FZ20. I go shooting with a co-worker friend (erkada) of mine who has the FZ15.

When comparing shots I will reluctantly say that the FZ15 does better straight out of the camera and the noise level is less than the FZ20. This is from actually seeing what each camera does and using the same settings as well.

The only differences besides price is no hotshoe and sound when recording video. The obvious is that there is a 1 megapixel difference. I got the FZ20 because of the hotshoe. Using the Vivitar DF200 flash (thanks to NickTrop)with an L-bracket with the FZ15 works in place of not having a hotshoe.

FZ15 is a quality camera from my firsthand experience with it head to head with the FZ20.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Max pain...But I dont see my brother using an external flash anytime soon...and that is not one of his priorities...and BTW...I completely agree that FZ20 is a better camera if one has/uses the external flash.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:46 PM   #5

arunpd wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Max pain...But I dont see my brother using an external flash anytime soon...and that is not one of his priorities...and BTW...I completely agree that FZ20 is a better camera if one has/uses the external flash.
Well, I like my 4MP FZ10 with hotshoe, so there :blah:
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:51 PM   #6

Thanks Tom for your reply...

Yes...I agree FZ20 having a Hotshoe is a big big plus...
But honestly I have not used movie recording since I have bought the camera and that is least of a bother as for Videos Camcorder is always available (BTW..I have a Panasonic PVGS200 Camcorder 3ccd...the best I have owned till dateand under $800..Panasonics should really be given a pat on the back for their equipments)

as you said in your post you have clicked pictures with both the cameras under similar conditions..Is it possible to post few of them here if possible...

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:00 AM   #7

Have you tried Image Resource "compare sample images page? It may help. Here's the URL-http://www.imaging-resource.com/ LOL

Comparitor link is on the left side of web page.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:27 AM   #8

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried Image Resource "compare sample images page? It may help. Here's the URL-http://www.imaging-resource.com/ LOL

Comparitor link is on the left side of web page.
Picsgalore is correct. Specifically go here http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTMand you can find both models.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:09 AM   #9

The truth is that, in more than 2 years, Panasonic has not managed to make sensible improvements to the Lumix FZ line:

FZ10 was already a jewel when it cam out.
FZ20, out in late Summer 2004, suffered for much noise owing to the 1 more Mp on the same FZ10 sensor.
Great cam too, faster, but reatining the yellowish cast in mostWB (I fear also in manual one) and many more small issues. It can take great pics but forces to spend more time in PP...
FZ15, fast and cheap, but no Hotshoe.
FZ5, no yellow cast, less noise, smallerbut no Hotshoe.

It seems that Lumix is very clever in giving and taking bits (new models have improvements but not seldom also new issues -and this also happens with some dSLR and P&S by Canon and others), but great efforts in improving haven't been really done since FZ10.

What about improving battery life, CCD size, LCD and VF, and other troublesome "Freatures" ?
They make half a step each year, so it is not strange that they do not come out with firmware updates, preferring new models which sell out more.

Narmer

PS no will to bash FZ, I have a FZ20 which I really like (even if I cannot just love it, for it could have been made far better with a least effort: but if it'd been already perfect what would have they done in the future?)
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:51 PM   #10

Thanks Picsgalore for the link...and I have seen that....However, I am not sure if lighting is nearly same in all the pictures...Just for e.g. the first one in Sunlight...the lighting is different...so cant make out...

The biggest problem is...the photos have been clicked more than 6 months apart...andI am not sure the circumstances and all other things were similar. However, If I dont get anything better...that is what I have to rely upon..

Also Thanks everyone for your inputs...I appreciate it...stillI think I need to look around some more and then take a decision.

Arun