Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:10 PM   #1

Hello

I got my new FZ20 last week. Have been playing with it. It is great !!

I have 2 questions about this camera... please tell me if these are normal behavior or mechanical defects :

1) The on/off power switch seems to be a little wiggly. I can wiggle it as if it is not fixed securely in place. I mean, it is not tight in place. Seems to be a little loose.

I am worried that it might give away after a while and I will be holding a camera that I cannot switch on / off.

2) When the lens is zoomed out, if I move the camera, I hear sliding noises inside... as if the lenses are sliding. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help.

k_bharadwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:33 PM   #2

1. Mine is tight. It is not loose at all.

2. Do you have it set for Continuous AF?
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:22 PM   #3

My switch has very little movement. The lens doesn't make a noise... as such. There is a slight "scraping" sort of noise at times and I have been told several times this is the IS operating(basically a gyroscope).

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:43 PM   #4

Hello... Thanks for the replies...

ukwoody, When you say your switch hasvery littlemovement, does it move like 1 mm ? or Less? Mine moves about 1 mm left and right. It also makes a littlechattering noise because of the loose switch.

rcci, I will check if I have set it to Continuous AF.. does this setting causing the sliding noise?

I think the scraping noise ukwoody is talking about is what I am noticing too. It makes a "krrk krrk" noise when the camera is moved or tilted at a large angle.

Thanks.

Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:00 PM   #5

I have a teeny bit of horizontal movement about half a mil or so, vertically I have about the same but it is failr loose and I suppose a bit noisy, but it is notenough for me to worry about in the least.

I guess at the end of the day, either pop back to where you got it from or go to a REPUTABLE AND KNOWLEDGABLE local camera shop especially if they are familiar with the FZ series and get their opinion. I emphasis this because I recently went to my local camera shop - a so called reputable one - who basically lived in the past, weren't great on digi cameras and told me catagorically that NO I could not get a tele converter for my camera. %**$£!&*#! was my reply!

woody
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:22 PM   #6
RDV

Did you really tell him that Woody? Huh? Did you? Well, I'm telling you, you're a real man. Treating folks the way you want to be treated huh? You're the same self-righteous Woody with the silly avatar that couldn't understand ISO for stop action unless I typed it in block letters and then wrote this "learn some manners, appologise like a grown up, treat others as you would like to be treated" in my post. If you don't practice what you preach stay out of my post.
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:56 AM   #7

RDV. What has this particular posting got to do with you? The Op asked a question and I gave some help. As far as I'm aware nowhere in this post have you responded.

I posted that comment you quoted in reply to your Moonie avatar which APPEARED to be a bit nasty. You made it clear it wasn't intended that way, so matter closed.

I haven't nor do I intend to start slagging people off for no apparent reason, especially in somebody elses post. Please lets give answers and help when it is asked.

One more point, although I've been out of photography for several years, I do happen to know quite a lot and have had pictures professionally published and sold in the past!!!

Lets leave the matter closed like adults please.

Woody
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:12 AM   #8

Hello...

RDV,

I do not appreciate your unnecessary comments in my post. We are here to discuss matters of photography. Wehave NO interest inyoursilly banter. Please say anything you have on the topic of discussion or stay out.

Thanks

Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:52 AM   #9
RDV

Hi

1) My switch is not loose.

2) Read the manual and you will know what the noise is.

ISO is about photography.

Sorry you took offence to a reply to Woodys post.

Now does that meet your criterion to post on a public forum?

Have a nice day!
BTW who is we? Did you ask them all if they had any interest in my silly banter?
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:04 PM   #10

RDV,

Thanks for the reply about the switch. Thanks again for pointing me to the manual.(DUH !!) Nothing wrong in clarifying a possible "problem" ina $500 investment.

Regarding public forum.... "WE" is the civilized world. Did you read the forum rules and agreement beforeregistering?

It is funny that YOU are doing exactly the same you are accusing someone else of.

I am not goining to come back to this post again since my questions are answered. So save your time and dont reply to this.

Thanks to all of you for answering my quesitons.