Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:10 PM   #1

I just got home from buying my FZ20. This is my first panasonic. I have two Olympus's. I am charging the battery as I type. I wanted it for my son's high school graduation. It is held out doors on the football field. The zoom should come in very handy!

I am now looking to buy more memory cards. Where have you found the best prices?
snapsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:42 PM   #2

Congats, You are going to love it.
NewEgg.com has pretty good prices. I would recomend that you stick with the faster cards, like the Sandisk Ultra II.
They are guaranteed for life and you need the speed if you want to use the burst mode. You might try a price search on Nextag.com, Pricgrabber.com or any of those. Good luck and be sure to post some pics.

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:26 PM   #3

Try searching here http://dealram.com/prices/30/512MB.html I recommend you stick to either the 512 or 256 mb sizes for the reason that with the 1gb cards you will lose the neat feature of being able to wake from sleep to full zoom.

It has been brought up here in previous posts that with 1gb cards when you wake from sleep while pressing the zoom bar to the zoom position that the camera will start in 1x. With the 512 mb card this maneuver will cause the camera to wake into 6x zoom and I believe the 256 and smaller cards will wake at the full 12x.

This feature is very handy for fast action shots, animal shots, and the like. Sometimes the brief wait to get to 12x means a lost shot.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:37 PM   #4

good going, its a great camera. your son's graduation is held WHERE?!?!

i just graduated from high school myself last friday and it was held inside a building owned by the University of Miami...it was huge...7,9000 seats, 2,600 parking places, 20,000 square feet of very expensive building....and my school is a cheap public school:lol:
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:03 PM   #5

Son goes to High School in Southern Calif. They always have it on the football field. They set up a stage for the speakers and top students. Rest of the graduating class sits in chairs on the field. Familys get he bleachers. Starts at 5:30 pm, so we are always lucky enough to have the sun in the cornor of our eyes till it goes down. This is a public high school. The gym just doesn't accommodate enough people.

Congratulations on your Graduation!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:16 PM   #6

I am really confused by all the memory cards out there. One sandisk ultra II goes for $107. Then another sandisk ultra II goes for $196. What is the difference? Wow! they are expensive! There are so many different ones out there. What do I look for?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:51 PM   #7

I just ordered two 80x Transcend 256mb cards from www.datamem.com at 25$ each with free shipping.

All the reports I have read indicate that the higher speed cards are the way to go - faster image capture and recycle time. There does not appear to be much reported difference between brands at any given speed.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:57 AM   #8

There are many SD cards out there...but whats the point of getting a card w/ a write speed of 15mb/s or greater when the FZ20 has a limit of about 7 mb/s or so. The faster the card the more money....but anything over what the camera needs is just overkill, you aren't using that feature.

In short get a card w/ a write speed of about 60X. A 512 MB SD card @ 60X speed or so should cost about $40 US. Anything less is a decent price, anything more means you should keep shopping.

But 2 512MB rather than 1 GB SD, just in case one goes bad you will have a backup.

jm2c

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:04 AM   #9

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered two 80x Transcend 256mb cards from http://www.datamem.com at 25$ each with free shipping.

All the reports I have read indicate that the higher speed cards are the way to go - faster image capture and recycle time. There does not appear to be much reported difference between brands at any given speed.
I remember a past post stating that above 60X is overkill for the FZs as they can't utilize any additional speed above that? Regarding brands, Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar are viewed as 'king' with no names/off brands having higher failure rates, but someone reported having problems with the Ultra IIs recently, so who knows.

There are a myriad of posts on this. A search would probably be a good idea (especially since I may have remembered wrong.)Many retailers like Frys, CompUSA etc. use storage cardsto get people into their stores. Watchcarefully and you can pickup some512s at next tonothing. It's nice to have more than one card for those times you're using burst mode, etc.

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:41 PM   #10

The speed of the camera transfer may bottleneck, but there is also the card to PC transfer rate that is a part of the overall picture. With the prices between 45, 60 & higher "x" cards being so close (sometimes the faster cards cost less than the slower ones even!), why not get an 80x like I ordered.

I mean it was the same price as a slower card and it will transfer faster from the card to my laptop; I might even use a little less battery juice since I won't have to mount the card reader as long.