Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:39 AM   #1

I recently purchased a FZ5. I robbed the 128mb card out of my GPS to shoot for a couple of weeks to see if I would be satisfied with the camera. Now I am ready to invest a 512mb card. One of the reasons I bought the FZ5 is for the high speed burst shooting. Research indicates that the camera can benefit from the speed of Sandisk Ultra II cards. But, can the camera write fast enough to take advantage of the new Extreme III cards with 20x read/write speed? What is the fastest that the camera can write?

Thanks!

r_miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:35 PM   #2

I'm thinking max is 8 MB/sec (60X ??) Do a search as I think the quesiton was answered by someone from Panasonic before (maybe on a different FZ model though.) Sorry I can't remember the answer outright.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:09 PM   #3

I remember I read a post where someone said the maximum speed was about 5 Mb. Not 100% positive though.

I guess 20x write will not exactly match the speed of FZ. I guess you need 30+ (1x = 150k).
lokosofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick answers!

Google turned up two sources of information the listed the transfer rate as 4805kb/sec or 4.8mb/sec write speed. So as long as I have a 5.0mb/sec card I should be ok. But, in the spirt of overkill, I will pick up a Sandisk Ultra II tonight.

:-)
r_miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:09 PM   #5

r_miklos wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the quick answers!

Google turned up two sources of information the listed the transfer rate as 4805kb/sec or 4.8mb/sec write speed. So as long as I have a 5.0mb/sec card I should be ok. But, in the spirt of overkill, I will pick up a Sandisk Ultra II tonight.

:-)
I meant for you to do a search within this Panasonic forum (there is a search engine at the top of the page). Sounds like you got your answer anyway though. (The search engine here is quite good I think.) I did not notice any slowdown using a 40X card, but then I'm not all that attuned to speed. Until a month or so ago I was snailing along at 31k modem speed

:roll:
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote