Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

Hi all,

I recently bought Panasonic FZ4 and i am interested in doing close up photography.Does any one know if i can attach close up lenses to FZ-4.

Thank you,
Swapnil
sydhumal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:28 AM   #2

Yes, I believe that the stock lens adapter has 55mm threads on the end so with a step down ring you should be able to mount the Nikon 4T with no problems

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=37296&is=REG

Here are pictures with the FZ5 and Nikon 3T.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...48&forum_id=23
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:47 AM   #3

Thanks!

I need some advice. Canon Powershot S2IS has macro of 0 cm. If I attach close up lens to my panasonic FZ-4 how close i can get (right now its 5cm).
How does the close lenses really work i.e. What improvement will i get in close up photography if i attach a close up lens (for eg. Nikon 4T) to my Fz4.

Thanks in advance.
Swapnil
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4

The T3 or T4 operate through the full range of zoom. You can focus about 12" away (plus or minus) and then zoom to get the magnification that you want. I have the T6 (larger thread size) and am still trying to learn to use it well, but it works very nice.

Here is another set of pictures and he gives the focal distance.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=58478
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:14 PM   #5

sydhumal wrote:
Quote:
Canon Powershot S2IS has macro of 0 cm. If I attach close up lens to my panasonic FZ-4 how close i can get (right now its 5cm).
IMO, the S2 0cm macro is meaningless and useless. So you can take a shot of something with that something touching the lens. Why would you want to do that? Anyway, the FZ4/5 can pretty much do the same thing. The 5cm in the manual is incorrect. This shot was taken from about 1" (2.5cm) away. I could have focused closer but the camera would have cast a shadow.

FZ5 in macro mode from about 1" (2.5cm)

Quote:
How does the close lenses really work i.e. What improvement will i get in close up photography if i attach a close up lens (for eg. Nikon 4T) to my Fz4.
A +3 diopter close-up lens such as thenikon 4t will allow you to focus from about 12" away with much greater magnification. That 12" will decrease shadows and bee stings and snake bites and is constant throughout the zoom so you don't have to keep moving back as you increase the zoom as you would without the macro lens. It alsolets you to shoot in A (or S or M) priority so that you can go to f8 and get greater focus depth (dof).

Here is another daylily with the FZ5 and the +3 diopter Olympus bmacro lens which is quite comparable to the 4t (or 6t). Not as good a shot since there is no dark pollin to shoot for and the light isn't as good but it demonstrates the power of the close-up lens. The second shot of a bug on a daylily is also with the FZ5 and bmacro and is a more interesting shot. Both from about 12" away at full 12x zoom.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:37 PM   #6

fmoore, Thanks for your detailed comments.
Which is the reliable and cheap place to buy close up lenses?
I returned my panasonic Fz-4 and planning to get FZ-5. Does Nikon4t/5t or Olympus B-macro lenses fit on the plastic adapter that comes with FZ4/5?

Another issue i had with FZ-4 is that at night i couldn't see anything from the display. That was not the issue with the canon A85 that i had previously under exactly the same light conditions for which i tested my FZ4 camera. Is this a problem with FZ4/5 cameras?

Thanks,
Swapnil
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:44 PM   #7

sydhumal wrote:
Quote:
fmoore, Thanks for your detailed comments.
Which is the reliable and cheap place to buy close up lenses?
I returned my panasonic Fz-4 and planning to get FZ-5. Does Nikon4t/5t or Olympus B-macro lenses fit on the plastic adapter that comes with FZ4/5?

Another issue i had with FZ-4 is that at night i couldn't see anything from the display. That was not the issue with the canon A85 that i had previously under exactly the same light conditions for which i tested my FZ4 camera. Is this a problem with FZ4/5 cameras?

Thanks,
Swapnil
The fz5 will react the same way as the fz4. If you were unhappy with the fz4 you will be equally unhappy with the fz5. Many have gotten by that evf/lcd darkening issue and use the camera sucessfully. The bmacro has 55mm threads and will fit directly to the fz4/5 adapter. The nikon 4t is 52mm and will require a 55-52 step down ring. The nikon 5t is 62mm. B&H photo is the place to buy.

Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:31 AM   #8

Hi fmoore,

you said "Many have gotten by that evf/lcd darkening issue".
By this did you mean people found a way to avoid this?

How can you do low light/night photography if you can't see what you are shooting.

This is the only thing that is stopping me from buying the Panasonic Fz5.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Swapnil
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:33 PM   #9

sydhumal wrote:
Quote:
you said "Many have gotten by that evf/lcd darkening issue".
By this did you mean people found a way to avoid this?

How can you do low light/night photography if you can't see what you are shooting.
I was referring mainly to macro shots where the af assist will illuminate the subject enough to get focus with a shutter half press, whereupon the evf/lcd will go dark. Assuming itis framed satisfactorily when you half press and you dont move it, you will get a satisfactory shot. If not, take it again. With a little practice you get the hang of it. Generally things go pretty well. As for more distant shots where the af assist will not provide illumination,since theevf/lcddoesn't go dark untilafter the shutter half press, there is a window of opportunity to get proper framing. It is a short coming of the fz series but not insurmountable, IMO. I don't do alot of night shooting, so myexperience is limited.