Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:16 PM   #1

I have a Z 20 and I keep it at 2500 res. When I crop out a subject on the picture and it looks good on the monitor. How large does the cropped area have to be in order to still have a quality 8x10? I there any guidelines that I can use to know I have cropped too much. I may be all confused about cropping. The way I understand it is that my 2500 picture can print a very large photo with quality. I cropping just cutting from that size, like cutting 2 inches into 1 or is there more to it. I have taken tons of sports pictures and want to set them up to print but don't want to cut them up so much that they are unusable.

HELP!!!
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:54 PM   #2

I use cropping to center the subject or remove unwanted subjects also bring the subject more in focus from a distant shot . The less you crop the better your over all view of the whole photo will be will be . It depends on what you want to bring out of the picture . Your better offzooming in and filling the view and doing less cropping in my opinion especially when you want to print the photo .

Test it and see how they look on your printer , try only resizing then print .Then cropping out some resize and print .

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:05 PM   #3

If you keep your pixels per inch (ppi) at 150 or above you'll probably be ok. The 2mp fz1 prints excellent 8x10's at around 160 ppi. That's 1600x1200 pixels. If you crop your fz20 images (2560x1920 piixels) down below that to where your under 150ppi, either stop cropping or reduce the print size.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4

I use cropping as a means of add'l zoom as long as I plan on using the shot on my screen only and not for printing. It lets you play with image location as well as editing ouit unwanted objects. I go as low as 800x600 which I believe gives an effective zoom of "times 4"
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:09 PM   #5

When I look into the properties of a picture it shows me that it is 300 res and 2500+ by something else. Then I have cropped it and it shows me at 1601 x 1161 and 300 ppi am I looking at this all wrong or shouldn't the ppi change. Then I cropped the same picture to 901 x 549 and the ppi stayed the same. Now on that picture I think it would be less than the 8 x 10 size. So is tat where I start to loose when it is changed to a 8 x 10 picture?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:11 PM   #6

i prefer not to have to crop, since the more image resolution i have, the sharper the print will be. but sometimes cropping is necessary, either to eliminate unwanted portions of the image, or to make the main subject appear larger. that's one advantage of the FZ20 over, say, an FZ3 - the extra 2 MP gives you some room to crop if need be, and still produce a good, clear print at 8x10.

as a general rule of thumb, itry to maintainat least200ppi for any given print size. for an 8x10, i want at least 1600x2000 resolution; for a 5x7, 1000x1400, and so on. some folks are happy with prints made down to 150-160ppi, but at that resolution i start to see a noticeable degradation in image quality.it matters more at 8x10 print size, because the pixels are biggerthan they would be if the same image (same pixel count)were printed at, say, 5x7.i suspect it's largely a matter of personal taste (and visual acuity), but for me personally, if i don't have enough pixels for a minimum of 175-180 ppi, i'll either print it smaller, or not at all...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:14 PM   #7

I took the same small crop and resized it to 2770 x1680 and I noticed the picture quality went away but the properties still show 300 ppi? Am I looking at something wrong. Using Microsoft Picture ED on this CPU have a picture it program on my other but have not had a chance to look it over. Is this Ms PED any good for what I am trying to learn about?
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:10 AM   #8

the 300ppi you see in M'soft photo editor is a reference toprinter resolution, not the picture. the actual image resolution is what matters, and that's simply the number of pixels in each axis of the photo.also, if you try to resize a small image like the 901x549 image you referred to, your image quality will be poor. you can't put pixels back once you've cropped them out.

with the FZ20, the original, full-res image is 2560x1920. you can crop that to recenter a subject, change a horizontal image to a vertical format, or simply make the subject seem larger. as long as you keep at least 175-180 pixels per inch of desired print size in each axis, you'll get a good print.

for example, the first image below is the way it looked when i took the pic... 2560x1920 resolution, horizontal format, with a sizable portion of uninteresting background on each side...

when i went to make a print of this picture, i wanted it in vertical format, and i decided i wanted just the blossoms to be in the picture, without so much of the empty space on the sides. so i cropped the sides of the picture to dimensions of 1630x1920, which gave me the orientation i wanted, removed some undesirable portions of the image, made the blossoms appear larger, and still gave me 203x192 pixels per inch - enough to make a sharp, clear 8x10.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:18 AM   #9

That cleared up the mud. Thank You.