Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:13 AM   #1

Its winter downunder so thought I would try some flash assisted closeups with the FZ1v2
I found I needed to set WB to cloudy as Auto gave a cast
I set the FZ1v2 to Auto and used aperture priority f8 for best DOF
if you choose Macro mode you loose the abilty to set aperture priority or shutter priority in the FZ1v2
I set zoom to just under 3x in Auto (red camera icon mode) this gives you a nice working distanca, also I used spot mode found focus more reliable.
I set EV to -1/3 and used the OB flash direct no masking or upward tilting.
I also took various other shots with flash assist but got variable results not sure why yet.
I did try -2EV and tilting the flash upwards.

#1 Geranium leaves

#2 Nandina Domestica

#3 Succulent
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:51 AM   #2

The results are spectacular :|, very nice photo's
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:10 AM   #3

John,

These came out well! I like Freds' flash idea, works pretty well.
Number two and three are my favs.:G

Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:00 PM   #4

Nice shots, John. I like #3. Succulent greens, indeed! I do question the effectiveness of using the ob flash here. From your comments I gather that you were not using a close-up lens which would mean that the working distance would have had to be around 2". If the flash had fired (exif says it did) at an intensity to brighten the subject, I would have expected to see a extension housing shadow at the bottom from that close a distance. My earlier suggestions for using the ob flash with macros were contingent on using a close-up lens which increase the focus distance (to 12" in the case of a +3 diopter lens) thus reducing the chance ofcamera shadow from the flash. Did you take any shots without the flash? Were they much darker?

Fred

Btw, I prefer cloudy wb most of the time outdoors.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:50 PM   #5

Well done John, nic pics. Number 3 gets the top spot for me though.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:05 PM   #6

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots, John. I like #3. Succulent greens, indeed! I do question the effectiveness of using the ob flash here. From your comments I gather that you were not using a close-up lens which would mean that the working distance would have had to be around 2". If the flash had fired (exif says it did) at an intensity to brighten the subject, I would have expected to see a extension housing shadow at the bottom from that close a distance. My earlier suggestions for using the ob flash with macros were contingent on using a close-up lens which increase the focus distance (to 12" in the case of a +3 diopter lens) thus reducing the chance of camera shadow from the flash. Did you take any shots without the flash? Were they much darker?

Fred

Btw, I prefer cloudy wb most of the time outdoors.
Yes I took non flash shots too, they were similar in exposure but had a flatter look I guess.

Fred I used just under 3x zoom so working distance was a lot more than 2" probably near 12" so no housing shadowing occured and I used aperture priority in normal NON macro mode,despite the manuals claim of 1x zoom as max for closeup work in macro mode or normal mode... you can focus quite close with 3x zoom max (undocumented)this gives you more working distance without a closeup lens, if however you want maximum image size then yes 1x zoom and as close as 2" would be typical and shadowing would be a problem.

Still early days for me with this technique need to take more shots.

Actually I took a few shots with the lens hood 3x zoom and OB flash and no shadowing.
At 1x zoom the hood and flash is a no no

The +3 diopter 4T would a usefull addition will get round to getting one for real closeups.

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:50 PM   #7

John,

Not sure what you would pay in OZ for a Nikon 4T, but here in the states it's about like buying one tank of gasoline:!:
About $35.00 USD from B&H or other online places. Very much worth it!
Very nice quality glass. Takes a bit of practice because of the DOF issues.

Happy shooting !:|

Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:37 PM   #8

Nicely done John. All three shots look very natural. I especially like 1 and 3 nicely composed and the lighting is spot on
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote