Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:58 AM   #1

Hello everybody..
this is my first post here and need help from all of you, i'm sorry for the long post..

Needone of those fz5 soon and already finished my homework of course, but now just confused.., yesterday i saw two fz5 with different serial numbers underside the cameras, one with the C as the first letter, the other one with D as the first letter, indicated that the later (with "D") is the more new as of the production batch...right???, but.. only the "D" one has "R" letter at the end, eg: "DxSP..xx R"

Sooo..., what that R letter meant to be??, REVISED version...(nice)??, RECONDITION(oh no..)...???, REFURBISHED.....?????!!!!!, please help me.....

Still can't decide to get one of those lumix FZ5.., with local or international warranty???
I need your opinion about which one is better without considering the price (they have almost same price in my country and both have 1 year service & spare part).

Is it true that the international warranty is the same as the gray market one?
If so, what gray market items mean?, are they good, or should i avoid them..??

Last thing, what do you think is better technically, to get the black or silver fz5, and why...??

sorry for my bad english, and thx very much alot for your comments & help guys..

-mid-
dian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:20 PM   #2

dian wrote:
Quote:
yesterday i saw two fz5 with different serial numbers underside the cameras, one with the C as the first letter, the other one with D as the first letter, indicated that the later (with "D") is the more new as of the production batch...right???, but.. only the "D" one has "R" letter at the end, eg: "DxSC..xx R"

Sooo..., what that R letter meant to be??, REVISED version...(nice)??, RECONDITION(oh no..)...???, REFURBISHED.....?????!!!!!, please help me.....
Welcome to the forum, mid. I have a relatively early fz5 purchased in the US. Serial no is B5SPxxxxx. No R or any other letter at the end. The x's are all numbers. Are youin Russia perhaps? Otherwise, I haven't a clue.

No technical difference between black and silver. It seems like most people prefer the black for cosmetic reasons.

I would get the local warranty.

Fred

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:35 PM   #3

Thanks Fred :idea:

Most of your photoswith the FZ5 turn out beautiful, you must be in love with this little marvell, dont you?

Btw, I'm in Indonesia, so the R letter doesn't have a relation with regional code, and it still puzzle me alot....

I'll post my FZ5 photos and let you know as soon as I get one of them..

-mid-

Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:20 PM   #4

Mine is about 6 weeks old, is serialized exactly like Fred's.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:40 PM   #5

Hi

My Fz5 is about a month old (silver). Purchased online from Ritz Camera in the US. It's model# D5SPxxxxx R. Hmmm!

Brian
desertcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 1:27 PM   #6

Thx for infos guys, now I'm ready to get one myself....

-mid-
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:58 PM   #7

hello,

Just wondering if anyone came up with an answer on the letter "R" at the end of the serial no. I just purchased my fz5 bout 2 wks ago & i love it so far.

my serial no.begins with a "D" & also has an "R" at the end, so now i'mcurious bout the "R"....

thanks,

TuroK27
TuroK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:31 AM   #8

anyone?
TuroK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:10 AM   #9

Mine starts with CP******7 and no letter at the end....
This one is a japanese edition with manulas etc all in Japanese (bought on eBay).

If you are very concerned why not e-mail Panasonic and ask them?
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote