Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:33 AM   #11

okay, Pappy - and anyone else who's interested -here's the step by step i got from the latest issue of Popular Photography. i know it works in PS 7.0, not sure about others, they may have changed some of the keystrokes or icons...

first, open the image you want to modify and create a new adjustment layer. click on the layers tab, select 'add new adjustment layer', and then click on hue/saturation. when the dialog box opens, click 'OK'. slide the saturation control all the way to the left (-100%), and click OK. now go to the layers palette in the lower right corner of the screen, and find the new layer icon. it's a blank square between an 'eyeball' icon and a tiny image of the pic you've just opened to edit. select that square to link the layer to the photo. a little 'chain' icon will appear.now hit the 'B' key toselect the brush tool, then hit the 'D' key on your keyboard, followed by 'X'. (the 'D' key makes B&W the foreground/background colors, and the 'X' makes black the foreground.) now click on the brushsize drop-down menu from the top left corner of the brush toolbar. pick the size of brushstroke you want to use, and just move the cursor around in the portion of the image that you want to color, and the original colors will come back wherever you've 'painted'. if you make a mistake (remember when your teachers told you to color inside the lines? this is why! :blah hit the 'D' key, paint over the mistake, which will return it back to B&W. then toggle the 'X' key again and resume 'coloring'. when you're done, save the image. i save it with a different file name to preserve the original for other uses later. i also find it's helpful to enlarge the image using the zoom in/zoom out button... a larger image is easier to paint in, and helps give it that 'clean' look when you zoom back out to original size.

i hope i haven't confused the daylights out of everyone... i'm not the best at writing instructions, especially for something i'm only barely beginning to work with myself... i've only had PS a couple of weeks, so i'm a rank novice at using it!good luck, and i hope this works for you as well as it did for me!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:17 PM   #12

Squirl, if you want to see the image enlarged and quarter-size at the same time, with your image open, navigate to Window | Documents | New Window. Another window will open up with your image in it. This is not another instance of the image, butrather another view of the same document. As you make changes to the enlarged image in one window, they will be immediately viewable in the other window as well. Now you can quickly check what your changes look like when the image is at a viewable size. I use this method a lot when removing red-eye.

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:40 PM   #13

kewl! i'll keep that in mind. thanks, Mtritt! :G BTW, i had this shot printed yesterday, and it came out beautifully in 8x10...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote