Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:22 PM   #1

I am about to buy the Tcon 17 for my FZ20 but I am checking one last time for opinions on what others have. I see all sorts of them on E-bay claiming to work on my FZ but I am sure some of them have very poor picture quality. I would like more than a 1.7x maybe as a second lens also is there anything worth buying? I also just got in my Phayee lens tube, what ring will I need if I stay with the Tcon 17. Let me hear all the good and bad about what you have.

Thank You
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2

I have a C-210 that works OK although there is vingetting even at full telephoto. I got a TCON-14B on Ebay and it will be here next week. Most on this forum seem to prefer either the TCON-14B or 17. I tried the Raynox 2020 pro but returned it because of poor results. From most of what I have read I would stay clear of the cheap EBay lenses.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:45 AM   #3

I just got the Panasonic and theres no vigneting that i can see .Even full digital zoom takes a nice photo .The pictures are very sharp and clear . I do wish that it was stronger than 1.5x tho .I havent had good weather yet to fully check it out

Read the post "FZ10 User Guide" for more info on other brands.
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:58 AM   #4

pappy keep in mind the panasonic is

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1) made strictly for the FZ cameras so you would expect them to work 100% fine

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2) a lot of glass at f/2.0

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3) $500 ( i paid $540 for my camera!)

I would recommend the TCON 14B to go with the phayee adapter, it's only 1.45x but its great quality glass for not a lot of money. if you got the dough, get the panasonic of course
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5

Do to the lack of birds in my back yard i shot a few regulars ,heres some quick takes using the panasonic in the hands of an ametuer . I couldnt see any vignetting but i cropped 1 to zoom in closer the other is only resized. Im off to a more scenic area in a few .

Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:43 AM   #6

Very nice Pappy.

Would you prefer the 14 B to the 17.

What about the B 300 is it ok if I can't get a 17?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:41 AM   #7

I thought about the same things , my main reason for getting a TC was to get closer .

The 17 0ffers the best in that catagorey but lots of vignetting . The reviews show better quality in the 14 with vignetting less zoom .I would go with the quality over the zoom in my opinion . Actually im surprised that there not " more powerfull "as far as zoom goes . I guess theres not much of a market yet for even better zoom , im thinking 10x zoom :-)
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:26 AM   #8

I am not into telephoto, but you can see this link here of some excellent shots...:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=136099

He is using
Panasonic Lumix FZ10 + Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2X Teleconversion Len
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:28 AM   #9

I agree with Pappyand his comments. The Raynox shots on the website above look soft on the edges.This is a problem with teleconversion lenses, especially the closer you get to 2X.

The Tcon-14B willoffer higher quality results and more light than the Tcon-17, but at lower magnification. The Panasonic DMW-LTZ10 will offer the best hands down, but is expensive. I too bought thePanasonicand have no regrets. You kind of get what you pay for in this case.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:46 AM   #10

I have both the TCON-14B and the TCON-17. Like the TCON 14B much better then the -17. Sharper lens and no vignetting in the -14B

Look at the following sites for extensive info about lens comparisons.

Covers most of the available lenses.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...e-Compare.html

http://www.pbase.com/image/26137750

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl...language_tools
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote