Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1

I recieved the following from a forum member. Below it is my reply.
Quote:
Of the canon TL-55 and the TCON 17, which one has the most thread available on the teleconverter? I'd like to get the TCON 17, but am concerned that the weight might make it pop off the plastic threads of my FZ5 lens adapter.

As it is, the Hoya SMC UV filter I have will occassionally pop off, if it gets bumped while the lens cap is attached to it. I think it only hangs on by about 1 full turn of thread.

I've actually ordered another lens adapter from Panasonic (it's backordered) thinking I might leave it attached to the teleconverter permanently when I get one. Appreciate the help!
The tl-55 has considerably more threads than the tcon17. Enough to give a good connection with the fz5 adapter. And it's much lighter with a closer center of gravity than the tcon17. Unfortunately,the tl55'spower is more like 1.3x rather than 1.4x as listed. One really wonders whether that degree of added reach is useful. The tcon17 has a real power of about 1.6x rather than the listed 1.7x. Another tcon to consider is the Olympus A-200. It's listed as a 1.5x and from my tests it is a true 1.5x. The a-200 has 49mm threads so you will need a 55-49mm step down ring. It starts to vignett at about 6x zoom. B&H has it for $75. If you really want to get a deal, consider the 52mm Oly c-210 1.9x (real 1.8x).Good focusat the center but falls off towards the edges. Nice and light. Currently available on ebay for <$20.At that priceyou can't go wrong.

FZ1/2 owners had/have the same problem with that stock plastic adapter - the start of the threadsis recessed 1mm or so. The fix there can easily be appleid to the fz5 adapter; remove the unwanted plastic by rubbing the front of the adapter against a sheet of fine grit sandpaper placed on a flat horizontal surface. Make sure to keep things levelto get uniform removal. And don't remove too much.

You will still have trouble with the tcon17 due to the meagerness of its threads. I wouldn't trust it with those plastic adapter threads. But having removed that 1mm or so of unnecessary plastic, your uv filter should now make astrong connection and give you sufficient metal threads tosecurely accept the tcon17.

I ended up with a more severe fz5 adapter modification utilizing a 52mm raynox rt5264p aluminum adapter made for the fz10/15/20. See http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm

In case you are thinking of waiting for someone to come up with a third party adapter such as the yoshida, phayee, or pemaraal, don't hold your breath. Mr Yoshida, who has producedexcellent aluminum alloy adapters for all the fz series, has indicated that the fz4/5 design makes the process much more difficult and it is unlikely he will pursue it.

Fred

For comparisons with theseteles on the fz5 see http://www.artmags.com/fz5/teles/
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:31 PM   #2

Thanks for your time in a very detailed and helpful post.

One question regarding the link to the adapter modification you recommend with the raynox 52mm adapter. Is it just a friction fit that keeps it attached to the Panasonic lens adapter? I noticed you have to remove it first before removing the Panasonic adapter from the camera; does it "wear in" the plastic of the Panny adapter? Or do you think it will be a solid fit for a long time?

I'd be a lot more comfy playing around with it if the darn OEM lens adapter wasn't on backorder...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:36 AM   #3

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
One question regarding the link to the adapter modification you recommend with the raynox 52mm adapter. Is it just a friction fit that keeps it attached to the Panasonic lens adapter? I noticed you have to remove it first before removing the Panasonic adapter from the camera; does it "wear in" the plastic of the Panny adapter? Or do you think it will be a solid fit for a long time?
It is a friction grip. It's exactly the right size. The fz5 adapter is very slightly tapered so the raynox slides on perfectly with increasing pressure. The plastic gives slightly and there is no indication of any wearing away of the plastic. It should last a long time. The raynox does not actually have to be removed to remove the Pany adapter. Just sliding it back far enough to relieve the pressure on the internal locking mechanism lip will allow the locking mechanism to turn and unlock for complete adapter removal.

The whole affair will work without modifying (ie, hacksawing) the fz5 adapter. The raynox rt5264p essentiallyreplaces a 55-52mm step down ring with the advantage of being considerably thinner. So, you canuse/try it without all the trauma of truncating the stock adapter. My main concern was getting the 52mm raynox dcr6600 .66x wide angle converter as close to the fz5 lens as possible to eliminate vignetting. That's why I sawed off the front 5-6mm that included the threads. That does not have to be done for the unit to work.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote