Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:47 PM   #1

I want to get an adapter, but am torn between 62mm and 55mm. I will use the adapter for filters and an Olympus TCON 17 lens most of the time. As such, will I be better off with 55mm? Will a 62mm stepped down to 55mm degrade the TCON 17 performance? Everything I read hear suggests keeping the filters and TCON lens as close to the Leica lens as possible. Last thing, is there any downsize to 55mm when using the camera without the TCON 17 lens, just with the filters? Thank you all for your suggestions.
wholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:24 PM   #2

Your decision will also depend on whether you plan to get other lenses such as a wide angle and a close up lens. I have a TCON 14B, WCON 08B and Nikon 6T. All three are 62mm threads which fit on my Phayee adapter directly without any step-down rings. It allows me to quickly change lenses without having to worry about a step-down ring.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:23 PM   #3

wholmes wrote:
Quote:
I want to get an adapter, but am torn between 62mm and 55mm. I will use the adapter for filters and an Olympus TCON 17 lens most of the time. As such, will I be better off with 55mm? Will a 62mm stepped down to 55mm degrade the TCON 17 performance? Everything I read hear suggests keeping the filters and TCON lens as close to the Leica lens as possible. Last thing, is there any downsize to 55mm when using the camera without the TCON 17 lens, just with the filters? Thank you all for your suggestions.
If you can wait two weeks I will have the perfect solution.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:29 PM   #4

I have the same setup as Hiroshi and I think it is pretty sweet. No step adapters to fiddle with, just switch the lens as needed. I also decided the magnification difference between the 17 & 14B TCON was pretty small and the 14B has less vignetting. The 17 limits you pretty much to the full 12x to avoid vignetting and the 14B gives you from about 6x up. IMHO this combo (Phayee, TCON 14B, WCON 8B, & Nikon 6t) was the way to go for simplicity sake.

If you really are set on the TCON 17 then I would consider getting everything in 55mm & use the Pemeraal or Raynox 55mm adapter instead.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:10 PM   #5

I had seached a lot before getting TCON14B, WCON08 and MCON35. I think THE MORE LIGHT=THE BETTER PHOTOS. And 62 is MORE than 55!
droral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:28 PM   #6

droral wrote:
Quote:
I had seached a lot before getting TCON14B, WCON08 and MCON35. I think THE MORE LIGHT=THE BETTER PHOTOS. And 62 is MORE than 55!
Putting lens quality aside the larger the rear ocular not thred mount,of a WA and TP converter the better but even 52mm is larger then thethe Leica.It does not seem to matter with macro lenses. The FZ is in reality taking a picture of the rear element.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:04 PM   #7

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
wholmes wrote:
Quote:
It's way past 2 weeks, what's your solution?:-)
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:11 PM   #8

tswill2 wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
wholmes wrote:
Quote:
It's way past 2 weeks, what's your solution?:-)
June 13[suP]th[/suP]? What calendar are you using? Email me for more information.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:42 AM   #9

Putting lens quality aside the larger the rear ocular not thred mount,of a WA and TP converter the better but even 52mm is larger then thethe Leica.It does not seem to matter with macro lenses. The FZ is in reality taking a picture of the rear element.
You're right, but if the rear lens is small then the front one is also small and vignetting occurs just because of the front lens, not of the rear lens. I'm talking about WA and TP lenses. Of course it doesn't matter for macro lenses as they are only 1-1.5 cm thick. I mean front and rear lenses are near to each in macro lenses but not in WA and TP lenses.
droral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:59 AM   #10

droral wrote:
Quote:
You're right, but if the rear lens is small then the front one is also small and vignetting occurs just because of the front lens, not of the rear lens. I'm talking about WA and TP lenses. Of course it doesn't matter for macro lenses as they are only 1-1.5 cm thick. I mean front and rear lenses are near to each in macro lenses but not in WA and TP lenses.
My statement excluded vignetting. I was reffering to sharpnes brightness. The Raynox DCR2020 has a front thread mount of 82mm and a rear glass of 33mm to avoid vignetting you have to shoot at F5 or higher. The DCR6600 has a front of 72mm and a rear of 41. It has a sharper and brighter image. Here is a very good article on vigntting. http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/vign...tml#mechanical