Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:42 AM   #1

Hi everybody,

First of all, please take appologies for my English. I know it isn't perfect.

I am a happy new user of FZ20 and I am fascinated with lens quality and range. Anyhow, I decided to buy the Raynox 6600Pro wide angle conversion lens (and the DCR-250 macro close-up).

I have done some research at ineternet, and I found that with this interesting wideangle converter some vignetting may occur when used with FZ10/FZ20.

At the store where I will order the goods, there are two versions of DCR-6600Pro available: with 52mm thread and with 58mm thread. I guess that the 58mm might not do vignetting at all, or noticably less than the 52mm version. Am I right? Do anybody have personal experience with both versions of DCR-6600Pro and FZ20?

Or is the 58mm completely different product, especially targeted for some specific camera, and is NOT usablewith FZ20 at all? I don't want to buy something which I will must sell immediately because of non-compatibility with FZ20. I know, that the 52mm version is a safe bet, but on the other side, if I would have possibilityto minimize or completely eliminate the vignetting, I would like to do it right this way, simply.. to choose the better one of that two. They are for the same price.

Any experience? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Roman Golis, Prague, Czech Republic.

klenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:08 AM   #2

I have the 52mm dcr6600 and the fz1 and fz5. It is an excellent wa lens with essentailly no barrel distortion. The 58mm is the same lens with a larger thread size only. The rear optic is the same diameter in both. Although I have no first hand knowledge of either with the fz10/20, from what I have seen you will get equal slight vignetting with either. Nevertheless, if I were you I would get the 58mm unless you have other 52mm filters/converters and already have the appropriate 52mm step ring.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:07 PM   #3

klenot wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody,

First of all, please take appologies for my English. I know it isn't perfect.

I am a happy new user of FZ20 and I am fascinated with lens quality and range. Anyhow, I decided to buy the Raynox 6600Pro wide angle conversion lens (and the DCR-250 macro close-up).

I have done some research at ineternet, and I found that with this interesting wideangle converter some vignetting may occur when used with FZ10/FZ20.

At the store where I will order the goods, there are two versions of DCR-6600Pro available: with 52mm thread and with 58mm thread. I guess that the 58mm might not do vignetting at all, or noticably less than the 52mm version. Am I right? Do anybody have personal experience with both versions of DCR-6600Pro and FZ20?

Or is the 58mm completely different product, especially targeted for some specific camera, and is NOT usablewith FZ20 at all? I don't want to buy something which I will must sell immediately because of non-compatibility with FZ20. I know, that the 52mm version is a safe bet, but on the other side, if I would have possibilityto minimize or completely eliminate the vignetting, I would like to do it right this way, simply.. to choose the better one of that two. They are for the same price.

Any experience? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Roman Golis, Prague, Czech Republic.

Both lenses are the same except for the mount. They will cause slight vignetting on the FZ10, 15 and 20, but fixing up a corner is worth the minimal distortion picture.

23.8mm

25mm

26mm

32mm

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:15 PM   #4

fellows,

How comes, that vignetting is stronger at **LONGER** focal lengths and smallest at the widest ones? I was think, that it must be the opposite way.. strongest at widest angle. It's a bit strange to me.. :roll:
klenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:03 PM   #5

klenot wrote:
Quote:
fellows,

How comes, that vignetting is stronger at **LONGER** focal lengths and smallest at the widest ones? I was think, that it must be the opposite way.. strongest at widest angle. It's a bit strange to me.. :roll:
This seems to be aresult of WA lenses on the FZ10,15 and 20. The Wcon07 does the same thing and vignettes as the zoom increases.

Many people take issue with this and do not buy the lenses. I do not mind it because I accept this and do not mind adding and removing lenses to get the shot. Nor do I mind the corner fix up.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/Other/79692The first nine shots are WA.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote