Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1

After a few hundred pictures, indoors and out, I must say I love this camera. Bigger than my Nikon Coolpix 4300 I had, but the quality of the images are outstanding, indoor and out.

Took pictures from about 50' -75' away (Row O) indoors in a dark auditorium (during my daughter's dance receital), with no flash..many came out really great. I was just playing around, seeing what it could do, and I was amazed.

Went to Sedona this weekend as well.. outside pictures are great. Love the 12x zoom.

So, now I want to protect the lens, and being as I'm cheap (got my 256MB SD card for $9.99 after rebates) I am considering this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...31030&rd=1

And then buying a 62mm polarizing filter and a UV filter, leaving UV filter on permanently to protect the lens that gives me the great pictures and probably using the poarizing filter a bit while outside here in Phoenix.

Anyone ever buy one of these adapters on Ebay? Good, bad, ugly?

varn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:24 PM   #2

Hi,

The adapter looks good.....I am also in the similar situation and I am planning to buy a Phayee adapter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

from Ebay. Can someone please give comments on this too...I'd appreciate it...One of the problems I have is, I have already bought couple of 72 mm filters. And I have learned the hard way that the OEM adapter is useless...too far away from lens of my FZ15.
I guess one of the solutions would be to get a thin 62mm to 72mm step-up ring...What say?
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

arunpd wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

The adapter looks good.....I am also in the similar situation and I am planning to buy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

from Ebay. Can someone please give comments on this too...I'd appreciate it...One of the problems I have is, I have already bought couple of 72 mm filters. And I have learned the hard way that the OEM adapter is useless...too far away from lens of my FZ15.
I guess one of the solutions would be to get a thin 62mm to 72mm step-up ring...What say?

I have the Phayee adapter--it is very popular with forum members--and can't say a thing bad about it. I also bought a 58mm step down ring, a UV filter, and the lens cap with attached ring from Phayee and they are all top quality. The Phayee using only the first section is 62mm on the end and fits my Hama hood or myNikon 6T with no problem.

Perhaps you can sell your 72mm filters on ebay?
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:25 PM   #4

I also use the Phayee adapter and I couldn't be happier. I bought the step down ring for my Tcon-17, a UV filter and the lens cap with cord. It took about two weeks to get them from Hong Kong.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:46 PM   #5

Thanks Beernutz and RCCI,

The thing that is putting me off from buying are mythree 72mm filters. My question to all is whether I can use a stepup ring of 62mm to 72mm with phayee and use 72mm filters ?
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:40 PM   #6

I don't see why you can't. You can buy the step up ring at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=60511&is=REG

Or on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

You would be using the center part of the filter so I don't see that being a problem unless you just didn't like the looks of the larger filter on the smaller lens.

VARN - to answer your question, I don't know anything about this adapter but it looks a lot like the Phayee and it is cheaper and less shipping. I would think it would work fine, but the only thing I don't know is how far away from the front of your lens that it would put your filter. I know the Phayee puts it very close and I guess that this one would be also, but I don't know.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:51 PM   #7

arunpd wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Beernutz and RCCI,

The thing that is putting me off from buying are mythree 72mm filters. My question to all is whether I can use a stepup ring of 62mm to 72mm with phayee and use 72mm filters ?

I believe the outer of the Phayee's three sections is threaded 72mm. I only use the inner 62mm threading for my filter but perhaps you could try using the entire Phayee adapter and put your 72mm filters on the end of that. Caveat: I'm just speculating here as I have no 72mm filters with which to test this.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote