Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Now I understand when I used the "Picassa straightening", one building would be straight and then the others wouldn't...
If you consider Picassa an image editor that is probably true. You can get older versions of very good editors like PhotoImpact and Paint Shop Pro on E-Bay for less than ten bucks.

Unless you have an expensive tilt lens used for architectural work, understanding why the buildings are leaning isn't going to help get a picture in many circumstances. The raw input from your eyes will have similar leans from perspective – your brain just corrects. If you want certain content and have limited places to shoot from to get that content you will necessarily end up with leaning buildings.

This can be done easily in any decent image editor. You really should get one. You will notice the building on the right is straightened without tilting the one across the street the other way. Straightening buildings is the least of what you can do in a real image editor. Don't judge image editors by Picassa.

Edit – didn't see Hiroshi's similar post before I posted.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:19 PM   #12

Thanks, Hiroshi. You did a great job and I appreciate your thoughts on PP. I guess after I took these photos I needed to go to the wine cellar. lol Ibelieve thatI'm eventually going to have to invest in some good pp software. I've beenkinda a purest at heart trying not to do too much pp except my little bit of picassa. I'm really learning what my fz5 can and cannot do. I really like your PP of the picture!! Thanks for your suggestions and taking the time. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:48 PM   #13

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Hiroshi. You did a great job and I appreciate your thoughts on PP. I guess after I took these photos I needed to go to the wine cellar. lol Ibelieve thatI'm eventually going to have to invest in some good pp software. I've beenkinda a purest at heart trying not to do too much pp except my little bit of picassa. I'm really learning what my fz5 can and cannot do. I really like your PP of the picture!! Thanks for your suggestions and taking the time. bentleysmom
Microsoft is doing a $40.00 rebate on their latest version "Digital Image Pro #10" $69.95 less $40.00 = $30.00... not bad, I say!

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:07 AM   #14

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Hiroshi. You did a great job and I appreciate your thoughts on PP. I guess after I took these photos I needed to go to the wine cellar. lol I believe that I'm eventually going to have to invest in some good pp software. I've been kinda a purest at heart trying not to do too much pp except my little bit of picassa. I'm really learning what my fz5 can and cannot do. I really like your PP of the picture!! Thanks for your suggestions and taking the time. bentleysmom
I'm in similar situation as you... at this point just trying to learn. However, I HAVE been dabbling in PP for quite some time. I've used the older versions of PhotoShop and several others not quite as 'robust'. IMHO, Paint Shop Pro is one of the best image editors out there for the money (I got ver.8 for $20 awhile back. It's probably a lot cheaper now that new versions are out). Coupled with their Photo Album, you can do just about anything, including nice layouts for printing multiple images, viewing and archiving. It is MUCH easier to learn than PhotoShop AND can use most of the plug-ins that work in PhotoShop too. I've not tried Microsoft's PP software but it's probably good too.

Anyway, I concur with the rest you NEED a good PP software and will be shocked at how much better your images can look with just a little tweaking. In fact, the 'auto correction' in PSP works pretty well oftentimes.

Just my 2C worth.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:32 AM   #15

Is barrel distortion really a factor here? More an issue with perspective error because of an up-tilted camera. A wide angle lens exhibits more perspective "distortion" than a longer lens, but barrel distortion, unless you have a horrible lens, should not be so pronounced.
omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:30 PM   #16

omega wrote:
Quote:
Is barrel distortion really a factor here? More an issue with perspective error because of an up-tilted camera. A wide angle lens exhibits more perspective "distortion" than a longer lens, but barrel distortion, unless you have a horrible lens, should not be so pronounced.
Your definition is correct!!! "Barrel Distortion"was a poor choice to define perspective error. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote