Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:24 PM   #1

Hi Everyone, I know that most everyone posts great pictures....these aren't...On my vacation to Miami, it rained nearly the whole time I was there. I did attempt to take some pictures in some not so good light.....so the pictures are horrible......I know that.....but all of my buildings are leaning. I used a monopod with most of the pictures, except when I turned the camera. Why do the buildings lean? I'm posting some pictures right out of the camera with some sharpening.on picassa...help.!!! You all are super instructors and I am appreciative ofall your help! bentleysmom
Attached Images

bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:26 PM   #2

Here's another one
Attached Images

Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:43 PM   #3

Here's one more
Attached Images

Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:58 PM   #4

This is barrel distortion. Zooming in a little will help. Mostly it's a matter of seeing what's going on at the periphery of the shot and framing to compensate. The middle shot isn't bad because it was framed better. Nothing bd opportunities at the side. The first shot would have been better if you had repositioned or zoomed in a bit to take away the buildings on the left.There is free software to correct this. And there is also cropping out the offensive sides.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:59 PM   #5

I just used Edit>Transform>Skew with the whole picture selected, then dragged the top left of the picture to the left. Perspective didn't work too well with that shot.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:05 PM   #6

Just noticed the top of the building is tilted. Did the same thing but dragged the corner down a little.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:11 PM   #7

Bently you were most likely using the wide angle end of the zoom (35mm) this makes the camera MOST sentive to camera angle in relation to the subject....
Don't point up or down.

You need to keep the camera azimuth in the vertical and horizontal planes at 0 degrees you can see the effect best in the EVF not so easliy in the LCD.

It can be difficult to get all of a building in particularly in the vertical so lower the camera height still keeping it true azimuthwise in the end you may not succeed try going further back.
If that does not work you may have to clip the top of the building as compromise.

Classical building photography should have no distortions
You can make exceptions as in Lovelifes Skyscraper shot but this is different.

hth

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:34 PM   #8

part of the problem is distortion cause by using the wide-angle end of the zoom range. as Fred mentioned, zooming in a bit will help with that. you can also try the "straighten" feature in Picasa, which is handy for making horizons level and buildings straight u p and down...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:36 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for yor prompt replies. I have learned so much from everybodies posting. I do know one of my problems....John, I think that I pointed the camera up alittle to get the top of the buildings in the picture as I couldn't back up.(heavy traffic expressways) John and Squirl, I know I was at the wide angle of the zoom.Keeping the camera azimuth in the vertical and horizontal planes makes alot of sense. I will try zooming and moving further back as the case may be. I appreciate y'alls time and patience in helping me. Fmoore,Thanks for pointing out barrel distortion, I guess that I am a slow learner. Now I understand whenI used the "Picassa straightening", one building would be straight and then the others wouldn't....I think thatI learn more frommy mistakes than taking good pictures. I really am enjoying my new found hobby and this Panasonic web site has some very knowledgable photographers on it that have been very helpful. Thanks, bentleysmom
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:57 PM   #10

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for yor prompt replies. I have learned so much from everybodies posting. I do know one of my problems....John, I think that I pointed the camera up alittle to get the top of the buildings in the picture as I couldn't back up.(heavy traffic expressways) John and Squirl, I know I was at the wide angle of the zoom.Keeping the camera azimuth in the vertical and horizontal planes makes alot of sense. I will try zooming and moving further back as the case may be. I appreciate y'alls time and patience in helping me. Fmoore,Thanks for pointing out barrel distortion, I guess that I am a slow learner. Now I understand whenI used the "Picassa straightening", one building would be straight and then the others wouldn't....I think thatI learn more frommy mistakes than taking good pictures. I really am enjoying my new found hobby and this Panasonic web site has some very knowledgable photographers on it that have been very helpful. Thanks, bentleysmom
Hi bentlysmom, in situations where you have no choice due to space and you know you're going to have barrel distortion (funnyB.D. almost sounds like the guy that made too many trips to the wine cellar and can't see straight.:G) you can correct it in PP, but remember you're going to loose some of the picture when you reverse the distortion. (widen the top and narrow the bottom)I took the liberty to correct one of your pics to illustrate the point. By the way, I used Microsoft's Digital Image Pro to PP your pic.

Hiroshi
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote