Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:48 PM   #21

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:26 PM   #22

smac,

Well said, and well illustrated. Beautiful shot and PP helped make this composition look even better. Um, I like the second one best. :-)

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:29 PM   #23

smac wrote:
Quote:
I only offer these two photos to further illustrate the point. Both photos have been cropped the same and are identical except for some minor PP that I think makes a dramatic difference. I know which photo I prefer, however you may choose the one that appeals to your eye.
Excellent example of what "some minor PP" will do, smac.Very effective. And what might that"minor PP" have been? The first oneis a bit hazy to say the leastand the second gets the job done in spades. Wonderful shot as it turrns out.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:21 PM   #24

Tweaker
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:03 PM   #25

Sorry for the delayed post. I've been gone for a couple of days.

Thanks to all that responded. Itlooks like most of us are tweakers on some level. Well, I guess all you have to do is look at my avatar to see what category I fall into. :GYes, I'm a heavy duty tweaker, but it's very much dependent on the subject matter. Many times I will do very little or no processing and other times I will tweak my heart out. I find that in telephoto, or panoramic shots, I always have to PP. In spite of all the new multicoatings I still find that no matter how good a lens is it still falls short of cutting through the haze as well as the human eye, so PP is necessary to bring the picture up to the "eye" level. To further illustrate the point, the before/after picture below is a telephoto shot taken with FZ20+TCON 14B.

What about heavy PP? Many years ago, when I was a young man, I had the privilege of meeting Ansel Adams and having some of my photos reviewed by him. I remember his advise and constructive criticism to this day. Mr Adams, whom I refereed to as "The King of Burn", would burn many of his photos to hi-lite the focal point of this pictures. His Yosemite photos are a testimony to this fact. He was not shy about the notion that the photo paper was the canvas and what was imprinted on it was in his control. In his photographs he controlled where he wanted your eye to go to (the main subject, or focal point) and thought nothing of it. I wonder what he would do with digital photography if he was alive today?

JM2C

Hiroshi

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 7:09 PM   #26

Another excellent example of what out of camera and then what a tweak would do.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:12 PM   #27

Tweaker. For the same reason someone (or probably a few, havent read all the posts, sorry ) said earlier, if you dont want to tweak and intend to get the perfect image straight out of the camera, may as well go for film. Digital lets you do so much more with the image in PP. I know you can scan film etc etc and do the same, but digital brings the image straight to the computer. I'm hoping to get into this PP lark more over the next month or so, when i start a summer university course in digital design, and will hopefully be able to use the camera to my advantage during the course.
Happy tweaking!
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:48 PM   #28

tweak or not to teak , this sky was total white before

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:52 PM   #29

Tweaky Kewl.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:21 PM   #30

FZ series are known for their image which are quite natural (if we except some bad color casts of FZ10-15-20, especially if used with High saturation settings).

The following one had a few saturated grass, tree foliage and sky (the latter was however kept blue, preventing its washing out by metering between tree and sky).

I blurred the foreground (maybe not very well done here) , levelled the darker trees (too dark green in the original), selected the sky color in photoshop and applied Noise Reduction (NNinja filter) to the sky only.

Then I made "Selective color" adjustment and loaded a precomposed color adjustment which I have called "Canon-like" for it seems like many Canon's compact (in vivid mode) and dSLR color, with that strong blue and nice saturated green.
(The darker spots in the blue sky depend on jpg compression, which produces similar artifacts when there are very subtle color shifts and the compression used is medium-high).

Then I selected the inverse and applied Sharpen filter (69-70% circa).

Sadly, contrarily to my cheap Canon A300 (which generally only needs sharpening), FZ 20 pics need much more PP owing to its problems in wide dynamic range scenes, WB color casts and more.

But, even if my FZ pics are rarely WOW pics as out of the camera, they often become such after some PP. The problem comes when I shoot hundreds of pics, all worth of PP...

Narmer

my FZ20 image galleries (trekking in Italy)http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm

Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote