Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

There have been enough comments from past postings on this forum expressing reluctance toward altering the original image whether imprinted on film or digital memory card.

I thought it would be interesting to get a good cross-section of opinions on the subject of post-processing.

None at all, or is the sky the limit? How much is too much?

Here is your chance to sound off on the subject!!!!!

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:06 AM   #2

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
There have been enough comments from past postings on this forum expressing reluctance toward altering the original image whether imprinted on film or digital memory card.

I thought it would be interesting to get a good cross-section of opinions on the subject of post-processing.

None at all, or is the sky the limit? How much is too much?

Here is your chance to sound off on the subject!!!!!

Hiroshi

Depends on what I'm after.. For most things, just a levels adjustment and resize.. I try to frame in the original photo everything I want and keep out what I don't want.. Not always possible but that's what I aim for. Sometimes for a little fun I'll mix a couple photos to make a new one but that becomes graphic art (in my mind) rather than photography.. Even though the original files (or films) are photographs. If I'm messing with IR then the sky is the limit. I like messing around with it to see what comes out of the picture.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:31 AM   #3

I'd say with digital (I'm not talking about RAW here), further postprocessing on the computer at home is part of the photographic process. Why would you settle for 3 levels of in-camera sharpening for example (my FZ15 has something like that - Low, Standard, High), when you can do the same thing with better control on the computer? Why would an image processed only by camera's processor "more real" than one that passed thru some other PP?

Just my 2 eurocents.

Cheers,
Adrian
Adrian Dusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:31 AM   #4

I dont consider myself a photographer yet but heres my take . Truly knowing the Art of photography is mastering the elements involved in it . Composition , lighting , subject matter ,theres alot of things that play into the mix of photography.When you harness all of them you get very good results . Unfortionately with digital you will get some hot pixels that need fixed so the tools are a needed part .

I prefer doing the least amount of repairs to pictures that means getting the right saturation , contrast , lighting etc... when the picture is taken. No matter how little PP you do the original picture quality becomes destorted in some fashion.Sometimes this is a good thing sometimes not .But if i had gotten the picture right from the start i feel better about it .Ive taken alot of pictures that are perfect in my opinion that ive not posted . Everyone looks at a picture differently i want the pic to be exactly as i saw it when taken . Which is not an easy task for me yet :lol:

Everyone has there own style which is why photography is so unique.I like that and i like alot of what i see in this forum . Everyone has alot of creativity here with very good results in how or what they wish to bring out of a picture. From oil paintings to soft focus, blacked out backgrounds , silouettes , B+W's, reflectionsetc...the results are fantastic .Sometimes people pull this off without the use of programs which is a credit to there talent .

Did i make any sense :G.. Oh yea Hiroshi your Av is

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:12 AM   #5

I fully agree with Adrian DUSA:

with digital (except for some goodP&S) and especially with FZ cams, if you do not PP you are missing a lot in your photos.

You may be the best photographer or the one who perfectly knows how FZ1-10-20-15-3-4-5 do work, but what you get from the cam is NEVER or very rarely going to be the best that thare can be on screen or in print.

--- Resizing/cropping, level/contrast adjustments, more sharpening,Noise reduction in OOF zones and sky, + or - saturation and enhancing the blue sky color, levelling underexposed areas, correcting WB color casts... plus eventual framing, cloning,filters for B/W or other effects, stitching panoramas...
These are funny things to do on 10-20 pics, but can become very annoying to carry out when you shot more than 200 pics (like I do nearly each sunday) !!! ---

Also with some Canon P&S you can already have a nice colors and fine WB and exposition, but some sharpening and more effectswill always improve the pics.

The solution to lose less time on images would be: shoot only when you feel that it is going t obe a particular, a special shot. And eventually shot at 1-2 Mp when it is a less important pic, which you will not be post processing and will remain less than 1Mb in size. (But sometimes you could not be aware you are going to take a great shot, so better to use full 5Mp and eventually erase the pic or resize if it's not very good).

Francesco Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:24 AM   #6

i tend to be a little of both. usually i don't do much PP, because i took the picture in the first place because i like what i saw, so i don't want to change it. but i'm also not opposed to taking advantage of technology to make the image better if ithelps.sometimesi just use a touch of sharpening, and sometimes i boost the saturation just a bit or maybe add some contrast. but other times, depending on the image and whatmood i'm in,i'll use PP try for an effect... like those flowers i shot and then blacked out the background for a more striking image, or the selective coloring of a cat's eyes...

to me photography is just like painting... it's an individual view of the subject and the world that is unique to the artist. whether novice or expert, each photographer has his or her own ideas of what looks good and how to achieve it. sometimes that requires PP, other times it doesn't. frankly, i like being able to use PP to tweak or even alter an image if the spirit so moves me... it gives me flexibility, andit lets me get cleaner, clearer, and more colorfulimages than i ever did with my old 35mm SLR. and isn't getting the best image you can of the subject you want what photography is all about? :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:41 AM   #7

I feel digital and film are two separate art forms if you like.
Purely imitating film on digital seems pointless to me as why not then just get a film camera and get the results you need?
Digital is still developing and who knows where it will take us in the future. There are lots of artists (in the true sense of the word) who are now experimenting with digital with some amazing results. That is no longer photography but digital art.
It is apples and pears I think.....
No point in using a digital camera if you are averse to P&P as the results will be dissappointing both on screen and in print unless you tweak a little here and there.
Just my opinion of course.
And I imagine there will come a time when what we now call a digital camera will be something far removed from traditional cameras as they will eventually have all the P&P inside the machine and in your fingertips. (just a guess...)If we look at digital cameras from ten years ago and now you can see how fast they develop.
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:44 AM   #8

forgot to point out that a film photographer also does a lot of tweaking and P&P be it the type of paper he uses etc etc in the dark room. The type of film makes a lot of difference. Digital makes all that a little bit easier as you can add most later on your screen.
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:49 AM   #9

Lazy purist. Straight from the camera 99% of the time. Occasional cropping and/or cloning. A shot of sharpening after resizing for the web. IR shots with the fz1v2 usually get color swaped, auto leveled, denoised, and sharpened.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:14 AM   #10

Are you a photographer or a computer geek? In this age of digital imagery, it is a very fine line. I consider myself both. I strive to obtain the best possible image with the tools provided by the camera for each and every image that I take. Sometimes my best isn't and I post process. Level adjustments, dodging and burning, contast enhancements, etc. can be translated into traditional darkroom techniques and by using these digital processes I still consider myself in the photographer category. It's when I go beyond these basics is when I cross the line. Using cloning, blurring, cutting and pasting, or other Photoshop filters is when the geek comes out in me. Being a traditional 35mm film and SLR user for the past few decades before making the transition to digital makes it tough for me to call some of the images I see on this forum true photography. Don't get me wrong, I love what most of you are doing and am very inspired by the images I see. The definition of what photography is will probably vary from the baby boomers to people who have only known digital cameras and have never used film.
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote