Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1

Maybe this is old news, but it was new for me. Sometimes hard to tell outside in bright sunlight when maximum polarization is achieved. Histogram works, but as real conditions vary is hard to peg perfectly.

Sit in front of your computer and put a nice white page (like the Google home page) on, and rotate the filter. (You can do this throught the camera EVF, or you can take the adapter off altogether and put it up to your eye.

At max polarization, the Google screen goes almost black and you can't read it. Just a few degrees of arc makes a difference. Mark the lens at 6:00 and 12:00 with a sharpie and now when you are taking 12x zoom beach photos of some gal (ok, or guy) in a swimsuit, you won't have to guess at it!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:12 AM   #2

You might add that this only works if you have a LCD monitor.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:42 PM   #3

Now this is a good piece of information. I would have drive myself crazy trying to make that work on my monitor. :?

slipe wrote:
Quote:
You might add that this only works if you have a LCD monitor.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:05 PM   #4

And also may be dependent on the particular maker of the screen even! I've had older linear polarizers that had a dot on the rim to point towards the sun for max effect. I even had one of the first made that had a short post to make it easier to point. Sharpies don't show up well on black finished filter mounts. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:04 PM   #5

Ok, the reality my be different than I thought. I am in Palm Springs this weekend, and when using my polarized filter, I had to turn 90 degrees from the Sharpie marks to see the histogram move farthest left.

Any more experienced folks have any input on this?

Oh, and Tom, they make Sharpies in silver.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:54 AM   #6

Boat electronics were the first I think to shift the polarization layer and electronics so you could see the display clearly wearing polarized glasses. Most fishermen and boaters wear polarized glasses and the electronics were useless the other way. Automobile equipment seems to have started making the shift a few years ago as I can see most auto LCD displays fine with polarized glasses where I couldn't in the past. Same for LCD watches.

There seems to be a trend toward orienting the polarizing layer so that you can see a screen with polarized glasses on. That means that the standard has become that when the screen goes black it is in exactly the wrong orientation to take pictures with a polarized filter.

The easiest way to check is to look at the screen with a pair of polarized glasses on. If you can still see the screen clearly the marks should go at 3 and 9 o'clock with the screen black and should be straight up to shoot. If the screen is black with polarized glasses the marks should go at the top and bottom and you should shoot that way.

Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:16 AM   #7

Thanks Slipe. That clears it up. Wish they would do it on the EVF on Lumix's too, Ever notice how hard it is to read with polarized sunglasses on?
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:58 PM   #8

Outdoors, I believe the "mark" you create on the lens will have a position relation to the position of the sun respective to your position. I recall that some filters have a "dot". At max polarization the "dot" is positioned towards the sun or source of illumination. Been a while since I got into the theory, I usually just adjust for desired saturation.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Wish they would do it on the EVF on Lumix's too, Ever notice how hard it is to read with polarized sunglasses on?

The LCD on my FZ10 blacks out at 45 degrees in one direction only so it is viewable in the two cardinal positions with polarized glasses. My Z750 is the same way. The EVF on my FZ10 is viewable 360 degrees with my sunglasses on.

EDIT: So maybe I should adjust my last post to also check the 45 degree position. Some LCD monitors rotate so you can have the long side up, so maybe they have gone to 45 degrees like the camera LCDs. I have a CRT so I can't check.

You probably get better than 90% of the effect with the mark straight up. I always wear polarized sunglasses and often tilt my head a little to look at the difference in effect. Regardless of the sun position it is hard to do better than having the polarization straight up. Most reflections work that way as well – especially off water.

Back in my film SLR days I would spend effort getting the polarization just right through the lens. After a while it became obvious that the filter was usually in the same position. Sometimes it wasn't perfectly straight but I always suspected there was as much user error as actual difference in the effect. I always messed with it but did just as well with my viewfinder camera with the mark straight up.