Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:20 AM   #1

Can Phayee Lens Adapter users please help answer the following questions?

1. What size petal shaped hood is used with the adapter? It appears 62mm is the one. What is the 67mm petal hood for?

2. Is the 62mm tethered lens cap for the adapter and the 72mm tethered lens cap for the original FZ20 tube?

3. For those who use the TCON 14B, do you use a lens hood? If so, what size?

I am close to ordering and want to get the right pieces. Thank you.
wholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:54 AM   #2

well let me try to answer your questions as well as i can

1) the phayee adapter is a two part metal piece, one part is 62mm, and the other part is 72mm, so you could get a petal hood for either size. dont know anything about that 67mm you're mentioning

2) the tethered caps are both for the phayee adapter. if you only use the 62mm part of the adapter you use the 62mm cap, if you have the 72mm part on, then you use the 72mm cap. i made the mistake of getting the 62mm cap and trust me, it's better if you get the 72mm as you can use the 72mm part of the adapter to act as a token hood and cover the lens. so my suggestion would be to get the 72mm cap.

3) cant help ya here, dont have the tcon...

hope that made sense:lol:
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:33 PM   #3

regarding the lens hood, once you have a Phayee adapter and a protective filter (UV/skylight/clear glass) in place, you can get a collapsible hood like the Hama that will screw onto the filter. I have one and prefer it to the hard plastic petal hoods since it's less in the way, and can be collapsed when not in use. Plus, lens caps will fit directly into the front threads of the hood. I never use the second, or "outer" piece of the Phayee adapter. It's nowhere near deep enough to be useful as a lens hood for the FZ lens, and serves no other useful purpose.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:37 PM   #4

You can use the Panasonic stock petal lens hood on the Phayee adapter if you want.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:16 AM   #5

Which model Hama Lens Hood do you use? Does it work at all zooms from 1-12x without problems?
wholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:39 AM   #6

1. What size petal shaped hood is used with the adapter? It appears 62mm is the one. What is the 67mm petal hood for?

2. Is the 62mm tethered lens cap for the adapter and the 72mm tethered lens cap for the original FZ20 tube?

I use the Phayee 64/62/72 lens adapter withit's "hood" all the time.The Phayee 'hood' has 72mm internal threadsthataccommodates a 72mm Hama hood. This hood collapses to 3/4 inch for storage. The hood also adds protection to the 62mm filter: UV or POL ETC.

FZ20>Phayee lens adapter>filter>Phayee 'hood'>Hama 72mm hood

Esthetically nice and does not vignette at 1x

If I use the TCON-17 attached to the Payee adapter with a 62/55 thin step down ring, I attach the 72mm Hama hood to the lens using a 71/72 step up ring lightly pressed and screwed into the TCON-17. The -17 has no front threads but the step up ring is a snug fit.

With the TCON-14b [62mm]I use a single petal hood cut from sheet plastic and attached with a rubber band. Works! and folds flat. Have not found an 86mm rubber hood for theTCON-14B's front thread. I kinda like the sheet plastic hood and may never buy an 86mm rubber hood.

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:09 AM   #7

stnkline wrote:
Quote:

I use the Phayee 64/62/72 lens adapter withit's "hood" all the time.The Phayee 'hood' has 72mm internal threadsthataccommodates a 72mm Hama hood. This hood collapses to 3/4 inch for storage. The hood also adds protection to the 62mm filter: UV or POL ETC.

FZ20>Phayee lens adapter>filter>Phayee 'hood'>Hama 72mm hood

Esthetically nice and does not vignette at 1x

If I use the TCON-17 attached to the Payee adapter with a 62/55 thin step down ring, I attach the 72mm Hama hood to the lens using a 71/72 step up ring lightly pressed and screwed into the TCON-17. The -17 has no front threads but the step up ring is a snug fit.

With the TCON-14b [62mm]I use a single petal hood cut from sheet plastic and attached with a rubber band. Works! and folds flat. Have not found an 86mm rubber hood for theTCON-14B's front thread. I kinda like the sheet plastic hood and may never buy an 86mm rubber hood.
If you can find it the 86mm Contax #5 hood fit great on the TCON14b.
bumbiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8

bumbiebee wrote:
Quote:
If you can find it the 86mm Contax #5 hood fit great on the TCON14b.

Thanks I Froogled it and found it. Not too bad a price.
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote