Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:02 PM   #1

While trying to decide on a new digicamIread about a little 35mm dedicated scanner a pro was having great luck with and that compared nicely to some of the better dedicated high quality scanners. I bought one at Staples on sale for less than $100 US. Yes! I thought I had tons of old negatives to play with. But, I found most of them had walked. Meanwhile, my daughter was in a photography class using 35mm. Between her film processing at school and what negatives I coud find we had a great time with the little scanner. We seldom ever print anything. We likeviewing our photos on the screen best anyway. Wal-Mart has killed all the old camera shops for 70 mile in all directions. Now for the Wal-Mart bit. We decided to try some Velvia. They knew what it was, but didn't carry it. "no one does slides anymore." That was a bummer as slides work great in the scanner. The one redeeming aspect of the Super Center deal was 86 cent developing of her film. I haven't processed and printed anything since '65 and I really don't care to start now. So, if you have a slew of negatives you'd like to play with and don't care for the self processing route or you'd just like to bring your 35 mm to the world of digital a decent scanner is the way to go. A side to all this. A commercial photographer who calls me fairly often quit the business due to the emergence of digital. As odd as that seemed to me I found that he never processed or printed anything himself. It was all done out of house. That just made no sense.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:42 PM   #2

hey! The scanner sounds great. i have tons of BW negatives which I was thinking of throwing oof because of the cost of printing. Can you please let me know the model and make of the 35 mm scanner? Thanks
pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:01 PM   #3

I too have a BIG box of 35mmnegatives that I`d like to scan into digital format! Negatives willfade & color shiftover time. I`d also like to know the make and model of said scanner,... please. JH :G

P.S. The FZ20 RAWKS!!!
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:11 PM   #4

Mine is a PIE 1800U. The 1800S comes with The SilverFast program, but is less commonly found. 1800 ppi files are 1691x2573, 1 to 3 mb normally. The little motor is the same as found on some of the best scanners, or so I've read. It does one slide, or negative or positive at a time. For 86 cents you get your negatives back in a strip or cut into strips and are ready to go as if you were starting to work with your memory card, except you choose the film type and speed of your film. You will sometimes find that you like aquiring the pictures from the scanner using a film type algorithm dfferent than what your film is. From that point on you treat it like any other jpg. The 1800 is a tiny little outfit, but does a big job. Two or three would fit into a boot box. Nick is quite happy with his 3600 ppi Epson, as I remember. Good cheap scanners, and they exist, are a perfect combination of the old and new photography.

Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:25 PM   #5

You will need 4800DPI to scan 35mm negs. for best resolution.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:04 PM   #6

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
I have never seen a decent quality color print or picture from a color negative that was scanned. Costco does it better and cheaper their equipment cost $45,000. It was.19 cents a print and they threw in a jpgCD for nothing.

I issue a challenge
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:33 PM   #7

boyzo, its enough for a 8.5x5.6" @ 300 dpi or a 12.9x8.5" at 200 dpi, right? I'll bet you know better than I. Personally, I cant see better than that these days. Maybe thats why I don't print and enjoy our photos on the big screen so much. Meanwhile the little girl above is 72 dpi or so . For me its enough. Help us if you can. I use the FZ almost exclusively. Its just that so many of us that have many years of film we can now introduce to the computer and do more with those old negatives, slides than we would have ever have guessed when we took them. That little girl now has her own little girl. BTW, her father is my father's son. Also, for $100 or less a person can get started into digital without a digital camera, making use of what they have.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:15 AM   #8

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
When I started filmscanning in year 2000, only a few upmarket scannershad that resolution. I bought an Acer Scanwit with 2720dpi, which I still use occasionally.It still gives me more pixels than my 3 or 5 Mpix digicams, from negs or slides. I typically end up with a 3600x2400 pixel image. Some of these are blown up to very large sizes and hang on our walls, and many of my earlier posts in these forums were from the filmscanner (though I always confessed.)

The only thing wrong with my particular scanner is that it has automatic exposure that you can't switch off, soyou're stuck with tedious & ineffective software twiddling if you want a matched set of images, e.g., for a panorama. You can fix the exposure manually in the camera, but the filmscanner will undo your efforts, and make the sky a different shade on each shot. However, panorama photography is a minority interest, though I love it and have many much-loved examples. See the 'Panoramas & stitching' forum here in Steve's Forums. Digicams do it better and quicker.

Otherwise a 35mm film camera plus a filmscanner is a valuable complement to a digicam. Don't underestimate the work involved, though. I think few folk ever achieve their objective of digitising their archive of negs & slides. I know I'll never get there with my own few tens of thousands, so I've given up trying.

When I send a 35mm film for processing these days, I always ask for the CD as well. However, the quality of the automatic results you get are a bit patchy, I find (all fully automatic, of course). If I want a really good image, I still have to use the filmscanner.

Good luck!

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:49 AM   #9

Thanks for the thoughtful input. The Prime Film 1800 calibrates for each scan and with Silverfast, or without for that matter, giving control that can bring negatives to life which otherwise would hardly have been recognizable as pictures. I wish you could see the film Leah shot, severely over and under exposed. Mostly over, way over. We saved her first try with a 35mm that would have been a waste of paper from a commercial printer. They have meaning to her. Thats what counts. Here is her attempt at a self portrait.

Attached Images

Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:41 AM   #10

:O Bull. I'm sure fuji would like to know the expert opinion of the $5.25 per hour clerk at walmart. Try ebay, b&h, adorama, etc.. If you don't want to screw around looking for a lab to do e-6 (even walmart can probably send it out), get the pre-paid processing envelopes as well.

Jeff
:G

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
. Wal-Mart has killed all the old camera shops for 70 mile in all directions. Now for the Wal-Mart bit. We decided to try some Velvia. They knew what it was, but didn't carry it. "no one does slides anymore."
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote