Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:36 PM   #11

the Fuji is also capable of ISO1600, and since it's a point-n-shoot, it probably auto-selected MUCH higher ISO settings than the ISO 80 you used with the FZ20... at ISO1000 or above, most cameras can take pretty decent shots in low light. unfortunately, the FZ series is rather limited in that regard... the camera is optimized for outdoor use, which makes sense if you think about it... who buys a cam with 36-432mm zoom lens to take pics across the living room?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:41 PM   #12

I didn't use auto iso with the fuji but the higher iso numbers were much less noisy on the fuji f10 than on any other camera I had ever used. I understood that the FZ20 wasn't going to stack up to the fuji f10 indoors. I decided to trade off the good indoor shots for the zoom lens. I just hoped the indoor shots would be at a little better than they are. I expected too much from the IS. I imagine that once I get to use the camera outdoors, I will be happy with my decision. I'll try experimenting with some higher ISO indoors and maybe try printing them out instead of just eyeballing them on the computer.
jchildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:26 AM   #13

The camera is capable of good indoor shots, but you definitely have to work at it a bit. I have found that making use of the hotshoe and another flash helps. I think part of the problem is also with the setup. Given the size of the CCD, I think Panasonic had to decide on sharpness vs noise and opted for sharpness. I've found that running indoor pictures through Noise Ninja or Helicon noise filter or whatever can get them closer to 'others'. ('course, I could be wrong about all of this too.)

jchildr wrote:
Quote:
I didn't use auto iso with the fuji but the higher iso numbers were much less noisy on the fuji f10 than on any other camera I had ever used. I understood that the FZ20 wasn't going to stack up to the fuji f10 indoors. I decided to trade off the good indoor shots for the zoom lens. I just hoped the indoor shots would be at a little better than they are. I expected too much from the IS. I imagine that once I get to use the camera outdoors, I will be happy with my decision. I'll try experimenting with some higher ISO indoors and maybe try printing them out instead of just eyeballing them on the computer.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:38 PM   #14

I find the camera is Ok indoors, but it does,t liketoo much zoomfor the indoor shots
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:54 AM   #15

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote