Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:20 PM   #1

Hi. I recently purchased a "refurbished" FZ20 on ebay and I'm not sure the image stablization is working on the camera. This is the first camera I've owned that had IS so maybe I was just expecting too much from it. Here is a picture I took using mode 1.

What do you think?
jchildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:45 PM   #2

Its looks like you really snapped the release hard and moved the camera sharply. Is it IS 1 or 2? :O
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:49 PM   #3

It's mode 1. I didn't move the camera anymore than normal. I think I was just using too slow of a shutter speed. I think I was expecting too much of image stablization. I was able to speed up the shutter speed and get better, less blurry shots but they were underexposed. I thought with the IS I would be able to take some pictures indoors without using a flash. I guess not.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:51 PM   #4

jchildr wrote:
Quote:
It's mode 1. I didn't move the camera anymore than normal. I think I was just using too slow of a shutter speed. I think I was expecting too much of image stablization. I was able to speed up the shutter speed and get better, less blurry shots but they were underexposed. I thought with the IS I would be able to take some pictures indoors without using a flash. I guess not.
You need to supply information to get the correct answer. EXIF info.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:52 PM   #5

The exif says the exposure was 1/2 second ...not even IS can do that.

Get the exposure to less than 1/4 second and you will see the result you are looking for.

I also prefer mode 2 but that is just my preference.

I also do not believe in locking the ISO on 80 I feel it causes more problems including noise but many will dissagree with me.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:05 PM   #6

Thanks for your responses. I kinda figured I had the shutter speed too slow and I understand the comments about ISO. I'm a novice and I just expected magic from the IS. I'm hoping I'll be happier with the camera when I take it to the zoo. I am very disappointed with the indoor performance of the camera. I gave up a fuji f10 to get this camera and that one took much better photos indoors.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:15 PM   #7

jchildr wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your responses. I kinda figured I had the shutter speed too slow and I understand the comments about ISO. I'm a novice and I just expected magic from the IS. I'm hoping I'll be happier with the camera when I take it to the zoo. I am very disappointed with the indoor performance of the camera. I gave up a fuji f10 to get this camera and that one took much better photos indoors.
That amount of light is not hat bad, ISO 100 give it a shot.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:47 PM   #8

Please do not be afraid to use a higher ISO .. I quite often use ISO 400 indoors and outside in low light. Sometimes I need to use Neat Image to remove noise but not that often and It is much easier to remove noise than to try and save a blurry shot.

I really feel that if you lock the ISO to a low number you are forceing the camera to do something It can not do.

I really feel the FZ20 takes great low light pictures and I also feel an underexposed photo has more noise than a higher ISO photo. ( at least for me)

Give it a chance it may not work the same as other cameras you have used.

Experiment ...its free.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:18 PM   #9

as has been noted already, 1/2 second is FAR to slow for even OIS to compensate. You need at least 1/15-1/30 of a second to get a half decent result. Also, try setting to mode 2. That way, OIS works only at the instant you take the picture, instead of trying to compensate for jitters all the while you're composing and focusing. it seems to work better. you'll find as you use your camera that a tripod or monopod (or both) will be a very valuable addition to your equipment list. you can take indoor pics without a flash, as long as your subject is still and you have a tripod, but no camera will be able to take clear indoor shots without a flash handheld... at least no camera short of a $3000 DSLR, and even that would require very high ISO settings.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:20 PM   #10

The fuji f10 that I had took good indoor pics without a tripod or flash. I was pleased with the indoor results. I do believe that the fun I'll have with this camera outside will more than make up for what I'm missing indoors.