Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:29 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm new to digital camera and I've a Panasonic FZ-20. I'm searching for a UV filter to protect my lens. I found a HOYA 72mm UV(N) HMC (Multi-Coated) Haze Glass Filter at an online store. I cannot understand whether I should buy a UV(0) filter or a UV(N) filter for my digicam. What is the difference between UV(0) and UV(n) filters? Can anybody please help me. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Sandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:07 PM   #2

i don't think there is much difference, since most people only put them on to protect the lens. there are also UV(a) and UV(b)filters, and you can also use a skylight 1a filter, or you can get a clear glass one. digital cameras, as a practical matter, are not very sensitive to UV light, so there's no need to specifically get a "UV" filter. a "haze" filter, or even just plain glass will serve for lens protection just as well. here's a useful site that provides information about UV filters for digital cameras...

http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm#uv

be careful using anyfilters with the factory adapter, though... it places the filter quite a distance from thefront element of the lens, and can sometimes result in lens flare or unwanted reflections. that's why many of us have discarded theplastic factory adapters in favor of aftermarket ones like Phayee orPemaraal or Raynox, which put the filter right up close to the lens whereit should be.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:39 PM   #3

A UV(0) filter claims to be a little better , claiming to transmit 99.7% of the light compared to 97% for the less expensive filter.. Kind of up to you weather its worth the price.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 7:50 PM   #4

Just another tip on filter adapters. I use a filter 55mmadapter from nextphoto.net ($30, with shipping) and I`m very happy with it. It`s about 3~4mm wide, snaps securely in place onto the lense barrell, and the filters screw in just as they should. You`ll enjoy your `20! Have fun, JH :G
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:48 AM   #5

Sandix wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital camera and I've a Panasonic FZ-20. I'm searching for a UV filter to protect my lens. I found a HOYA 72mm UV(N) HMC (Multi-Coated) Haze Glass Filter at an online store. I cannot understand whether I should buy a UV(0) filter or a UV(N) filter for my digicam. What is the difference between UV(0) and UV(n) filters? Can anybody please help me. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

The Hoya UV(0) is the standard dual coated The Hoya UV(N) is part of the HMC (Multi-Coated) description. The difference between the two filters is the number of coatings which results in a 5% increase in light. 5% is about 1/2 F-stop. Except for this the effectiveness of the filters are the same. At altitudes below 2000 feet they are neutral lens protectors.

bumbiebee is offline   Reply With Quote