Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:16 AM   #11

Lovelife,

Your macro shots are very impressive! If this is what the Nikon 6T can do, then maybe I will never need stronger macro lens. So I first will use the Nikon 6T and then see later whether I will purchase DCR-250.

But I noticed, that your shot of ruler contains chromatic aberrations at sides. In the center it is perfect, but at sides there are some aberrations. I start to worry about this issue. Does it appear also at lower than 12x zoom?
klenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:29 AM   #12

I am thinking of buying macro lens to use with fz20. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting either 6T and 5T or 250D, but haven't eliminated mcon or dcr150 either. I've been trying to find comparison between them on the internet but couldn't find any. I really want to know which one will give better quality images. Also will I be able to zoom through on all them without vignetting?

Does stacking 6T with 5T reduce the quality of the image?Will using step-ring with 250D cause vignetting?

Thanks.
skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:09 AM   #13

skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking of buying macro lens to use with fz20. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting either 6T and 5T or 250D, but haven't eliminated mcon or dcr150 either. I've been trying to find comparison between them on the internet but couldn't find any. I really want to know which one will give better quality images. Also will I be able to zoom through on all them without vignetting?

Does stacking 6T with 5T reduce the quality of the image?Will using step-ring with 250D cause vignetting?
The dcr150 and 250 will vignett below ~4x due to the small diameter of the lens. Both have 43mm rearthreads (49mm front). I would strongly recommend starting with the +3 diopter 6t (or 52mm4t). I have the +3 oly bmacro, the +1.5 nikon 3t, and the +8 dcr250. I use the +3 bmacro much more than the others mainly because the 12"focus distance is so much easier to work with.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:27 AM   #14

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:

The dcr150 and 250 will vignett below ~4x due to the small diameter of the lens. Both have 43mm rearthreads (49mm front). I would strongly recommend starting with the +3 diopter 6t (or 52mm4t). I have the +3 oly bmacro, the +1.5 nikon 3t, and the +8 dcr250. I use the +3 bmacro much more than the others mainly because the 12"focus distance is so much easier to work with.

Thanks. What is the different between b-macro, mcon-40 and mcon-35?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:25 PM   #15

klenot wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife,

Your macro shots are very impressive! If this is what the Nikon 6T can do, then maybe I will never need stronger macro lens. So I first will use the Nikon 6T and then see later whether I will purchase DCR-250.

But I noticed, that your shot of ruler contains chromatic aberrations at sides. In the center it is perfect, but at sides there are some aberrations. I start to worry about this issue. Does it appear also at lower than 12x zoom?
I got a better idea instead of looking at the ruler. Here is a link to my flower gallery all these shots except for seven were done with a Nikon 4T.http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/489871/1

This is a 4T shot.

Aperture: [/b]
f/8.0

ISO: [/b]

Focal Length: [/b]
29.4mm (176mm 35mm)

Exposure Time: [/b]
1s (10/100)

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:29 PM   #16

klenot wrote:
Quote:
Oh, fmoore,

Sorry for my mistake (not saying what camera I have), it's an FZ20.

I will buy shortly the Phayee adapter, and Olympus WCON-07 with step down ring 62-55, so MCON40 will also be suitable for me (concernign thread size, it has the sam thread as WCON-07). The Nikon 6T has 62mm thread so it fits directly to the first part of Phayee, and Raynox has an universal snap-on mount, so it would be also suitable for me.

If the difference in magnification of Nikon 6T and Raynox is so big, I buy both.

And because I found the MCON40 in sale for the nic price about $57 (normally it costs about $140 here in my country), meybe I buy this one too.

Any link to some macro-lens comparison shots?

Try to void step-down rings on WA and TCs they degrade the image quality.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
What is the different between b-macro, mcon-40 and mcon-35?
As far as I know, the bmacro and mcon40 are identical; +3 diopter, 55mm rear threads, no front threads.The mcon35 is +3 with 62mm rear and 72mm front threads.

Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:37 PM   #18

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is the different between b-macro, mcon-40 and mcon-35?
As far as I know, the bmacro and mcon40 are identical; +3 diopter, 55mm rear threads, no front threads.The mcon35 is +3 with 62mm rear and 72mm front threads.

Thanks. As you have used both Nikon and Olympus macro lens, which one do you think give better quality images? MCON-35 is more expensive than 6T but if it gives better quality image I'm willing to pay for it.

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Does step-down ring on macro lens also degrade the image quality? Should I also try to avoid it?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:40 PM   #19

Quote:
I've been looking at some WA and TP converters lately, most of which are around 55mm mounting threads, smaller than the 62mm that will accompany my Phayee on my FZ20. Is the only reason for decrease in quality using step-down rings because it increases distance between the lenses? From reading on several forums, it seems most people are using step-down rings to the 52-55mm range converters on their FZ20's. I knew it was a concern, but does it really affect quality significantly?
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:52 PM   #20

Quote:
As you have used both Nikon and Olympus macro lens, which one do you think give better quality images? MCON-35 is more expensive than 6T but if it gives better quality image I'm willing to pay for it.
Get the 6t. It does a great job with the fz20 and I have seen no indication that the oly is better.