Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:04 PM   #1

I prefer better optical quality lens before the maximal magnification factor, i.e good DOF, sharpness, low chromatic aberrations, etc.

Any suggestions, advices? Links to detailed comparison pictures?
klenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:20 PM   #2

i have the Nikon 6t, and am very pleased with it. all are good lenses, but remember that the Raynox DCR-250 is a much more powerful lens - i think it's like 8 diopter, while the 6T is 2.9 - so it produces much less DOF.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:12 PM   #3

What camera? For theFZ5 I would get the mcon40 for its 55mm threads if money is not an issue. If it is, I'd get the nikon 4t and a 55-52mm step down ring to attach it to theFZ5 adapter. There is a trade offbetween magnifcation and dof. What you gain aon one you lose on the other. The dcr250 (an excellent lens) is almost 3x as powerful as the others (+8 diopter vs +3) and you pay for it with extremely shallow dof. The nikon 3t might also be considered. At +1.5 diopter it will result in greater dof than the other at a sacrifice of magnification. The +3 diopter lens are probably the most useful, IMO.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:31 PM   #4

Oh, fmoore,

Sorry for my mistake (not saying what camera I have), it's an FZ20.

I will buy shortly the Phayee adapter, and Olympus WCON-07 with step down ring 62-55, so MCON40 will also be suitable for me (concernign thread size, it has the sam thread as WCON-07). The Nikon 6T has 62mm thread so it fits directly to the first part of Phayee, and Raynox has an universal snap-on mount, so it would be also suitable for me.

If the difference in magnification of Nikon 6T and Raynox is so big, I buy both.

And because I found the MCON40 in sale for the nic price about $57 (normally it costs about $140 here in my country), meybe I buy this one too.

Any link to some macro-lens comparison shots?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:49 PM   #5

I ordered both the Nikon 6T and MCON-40 (which was on sale for about ~$57 ), but the e-store sent me an reply, that the sale is over and the current price is ~$143

So, finally, I olny buy the Nikon 6T this time. I am impatient of the parcel (it should arrive in about 2 weeks).

Later, if I will go to Germany, maybe I will buy the Raynox DCR-250 too (it costs from 34 euro there, but in Czech republic about 120 euro).

Thank you guys for your opinions and info.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:55 PM   #6

klenot wrote:
Quote:
I ordered both the Nikon 6T and MCON-40 (which was on sale for about ~$57 ), but the e-store sent me an reply, that the sale is over and the current price is ~$143

So, finally, I olny buy the Nikon 6T this time. I am impatient of the parcel (it should arrive in about 2 weeks).

Later, if I will go to Germany, maybe I will buy the Raynox DCR-250 too (it costs from 34 euro there, but in Czech republic about 120 euro).

Thank you guys for your opinions and info.
You will be very happy with the 6T because it will allow you to take variable focal length macro shots from a distance of 12" These were taken with a 4T same as the 6T but a 52mm mount.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:32 PM   #7

I own a Marumi closeup filter which is +10 diopter - see at bottom of page at this link:

http://www.marumi-filter.co.jp/inter...p.html#closeup

I bought it years ago for my Sony Cybershot F505 and used it constantly but cameras in those days weren't a patch on what the Lumix range can do so I don't know whether I'm comparing apples with pears. I've just bought an FZ-5 and early experiments with macro are disappointing but I'm puting that down to user error, because I've just been a point-and-shoot user, til now. I've added a stepdown ring and taken a few shots, but so far the results aren't stellar.

My question is: since this closeup is +10 macro, will I find a Nikon 6T much more limiting - my aim is to shoot "ants arses" as my friend calls my interest in macro. :-)

Background info: My initial purchase of this macro cracked around the holding ring and the glass could be moved if shaken. The photo store promptly replaced it as they said that it shouldnot have ocurred. Sadly, the replacement lens has not been as good as the original. I can't put my finger on the problem but I don't get the crisp results I had previously come to expect.
nancye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:08 PM   #8

nancye wrote:
Quote:
My question is: since this closeup is +10 macro, will I find a Nikon 6T much more limiting - my aim is to shoot "ants arses" as my friend calls my interest in macro.
Welcome to the forum, nancye. The Marumi closeup filter appears to bea single element lens, which gives clear focus at the center but softness towards the edges. Dual elament lens such as the nikon 6t flatten the focus for clear sharp images to the edges. The nikon 6t is a +3 diopter lens and as such will focus from about a foot away. A +10 diopter lens will focus from about 4" away. Some would consider that short a distance to be a limiting factor; camera shadow, bee stings, etc. The raynox dcr250 is an excellent 3 element +8 diopter lens that will get your ants arses very nicely focusing at about 5" distance. It comes with an adjustable clip-on adapter that fits any diameter from 52mm to 67mm and does a great job with all the fz series including the fz5. It can zoom back to about 3-4x zoom before vignetting so it really is quite versatile. Nevertheless, I would consider also getting a +3 diopter lens (the 52mm nikon 4t works just as well as the 6t for less $) for those shots where that 12" working distance will make a difference.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:16 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
nancye wrote:
Quote:
My question is: since this closeup is +10 macro, will I find a Nikon 6T much more limiting - my aim is to shoot "ants arses" as my friend calls my interest in macro.
Welcome to the forum, nancye. The Marumi closeup filter appears to bea single element lens, which gives clear focus at the center but softness towards the edges. Dual elament lens such as the nikon 6t flatten the focus for clear sharp images to the edges. The nikon 6t is a +3 diopter lens and as such will focus from about a foot away. A +10 diopter lens will focus from about 4" away. Some would consider that short a distance to be a limiting factor; camera shadow, bee stings, etc. The raynox dcr250 is an excellent 3 element +8 diopter lens that will get your ants arses very nicely focusing at about 5" distance. It comes with an adjustable clip-on adapter that fits any diameter from 52mm to 67mm and does a great job with all the fz series including the fz5. It can zoom back to about 3-4x zoom before vignetting so it really is quite versatile. Nevertheless, I would consider also getting a +3 diopter lens (the 52mm nikon 4t works just as well as the 6t for less $) for those shots where that 12" working distance will make a difference.

Fred
Forum members, when they first start out complain about the DCR250 +8 diopter. Difficult to focus sharply and a very shallow DOF. Your +10 lens might be more difficult. One trick is to get the best focus you can with the camera, and then obtain a fine focus by moving the Camera in or out. I have no Idea what the DOF would be. What zoom settings have you been using? It might work better at the lower zooms.

Hear is what you can expect at full zoom with the Nikon6T, 28mm in the landscape position.

This is a 35% crop of the above.

Wait a minute, is this a one piece filter glass or is it made of 2 pieces of optical glass. If it is the former, forget it and buy a Raynox DCR250 or a Nikon6T.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:34 PM   #10

Thanx for the fabulous info, guys - this is really, really appreciated.

I'm not sure whether my Marumi is one or 2 elements (newbie showing here?) - it is about as thick as the bottom of a beer bottle, chunky and somewhat heavy. I suppose it would be obvious if it was 2 oieces?

You have me enthused to get out and experiment.
nancye is offline   Reply With Quote