Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:08 PM   #11

I was looking at the first 2 shots with the feathers blurred. The 3rd pic, the bird is sharp, but the nest blurred which suggests to me that you got a good focus and tracking freeze on the bird, so the stationary nest looks moving. On a tripod the OIS hunts for shake, and introduces some if there isn't any! I've had my best tripod hots with the OIS off. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:17 PM   #12

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
I'm more at home working with sight systems than cameras. At a 100 yards we look at .001" of movement of the gun system or anything in the sight system affecting 1" of impact variation at the target. Freezing the camera for a 120 foot shot is probably fairlyessential at fairly lower shutter speeds. I'm running into pictures problemssimilar to yours at much close distance handheld.
anything that produces 1 MOA of "shake" would create horrible blurring in an optical system, even at ranges well under 100 yards, if it occurred while the shutter was open.normally, though,1/100 to 1/300of a second is a fast enough shutter speed that motion becomes unimportant, since the shutter would open and close again far faster than the movement would occur... i'm beginning to wonder if the OIS itself isn't contributing at those distances and shutter speeds. i've taken some very clear shots using the monopod and OIS mode 2, but at shorter ranges, and with more stationary targets...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:21 PM   #13

tswill2 wrote:
Quote:
I was looking at the first 2 shots with the feathers blurred. The 3rd pic, the bird is sharp, but the nest blurred which suggests to me that you got a good focus and tracking freeze on the bird, so the stationary nest looks moving. On a tripod the OIS hunts for shake, and introduces some if there isn't any! I've had my best tripod hots with the OIS off. Tom
actually, in full size, even the bird is a bit fuzzy in the 3rd pic... this was shot from a monopod, not a tripod. i'm wondering if the monopod is stable enough to fool the OIS into thinking it's a tripod, and causing the problem? like i said, i was using manual focus, with the lens "locked" on the nest itself, so it should have been clear, even if the bird wasn't. that's what makes me wonder...

next time out, i'm going to try using shutter priority, bumping the ISO up to 200, and turning OIS off when using the monopod for shots like this.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote