Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1

so, i was out looking for something worthwhile to photograph today, and came across an osprey's nest. i was shooting in aperture mode, at between f4 and f5.6, with shutter speeds of 1/100-1/300, at ISO100. i had a lens hood and polarizer on, which reduced my shutter speeds a bit. i used manual focus to lock the focus on the nest (about 120 feet away), thinking that way if the birds were on or close to the nest, they'd be in focus. the birds were reasonably cooperative, but no matter what i tried, my shots just didn't come out clear. these look "okay" at this size, but at full size, they're not near as sharp as i'd like. any suggestions?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:48 PM   #2

I see what you mean. Wouldn't turning the ISO up to attain a faster shutter speed have helped, this side of a tripod and external release?
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:10 PM   #3

maybe... it didn't look like i wasn't having a problem with motion blur, though... the birds are 'frozen' in flight okay... it's just the overall focus doesn't seem to be as sharp as it should be. i focused on the nest, using manual focus, and even the nest is a bit fuzzy! it was far enough away that even af f4-5.6the DOF should've easily accommodated both nest and birds, but it seems like it didn't. i've had no luck at all trying to do this with auto-focus - it's nowhere near fast enough to focus and track with a moving target- but maybe the manual focus isn't as good as it needs to be for this kind of work either? maybe next time i'lltryshooting at ISO 200... or set it on auto and let the camera pick.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:40 AM   #4

Maybe you are asking too much from your FZ20.

Certainly I have seen many better shots of simuilar subjects, but I am sure they were closer.

I am sure yours could have been slightly better with some tweaking, but for sensibly better results I fear you'd needed a tele add-on lens.

Francesco

PS
Also I d tried to shot without polarizer: its use, united with a F4-5.6 aperture (fine for reducing CA and improving quality, but causing less light to enter) gives you a shutter speed which may not be enough at that distance and focal.
Maybe without the polarizer you got an UE of the subjects?
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:53 AM   #5

You almost nailed the second one. I would try auto focus, perhaps try setting to continuous mode. You really want to try to get your shutter speeds at least 1/500 for in flight shots like these, even if it means opening up the aperture more. Iso 200 would also probably be ok. It produces less noise at higher shutter speeds. Also, I would set the exposure compensation to -1/3 to -2/3 to make sure any of the highlights don't get burned out, too ( this also may get shutter speeds up a bit, too).

In flight shots are tough.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:11 AM   #6

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
You almost nailed the second one. I would try auto focus, perhaps try setting to continuous mode. You really want to try to get your shutter speeds at least 1/500 for in flight shots like these, even if it means opening up the aperture more. Iso 200 would also probably be ok. It produces less noise at higher shutter speeds. Also, I would set the exposure compensation to -1/3 to -2/3 to make sure any of the highlights don't get burned out, too ( this also may get shutter speeds up a bit, too).

In flight shots are tough.
thanks for the suggestions. canauto-focus change focus fast enough to track moving objects like birds, which are unpredictable in terms of direction? i'd hate to open up the aperture past f4, as i need the DOF, and i was already shooting at -1/3 EV to avoid blowing out the highlights... i may definitely try the higher ISO settings, though. if noise becomes a problem, i have ways to deal with that. i just want a clear, sharp shot! :sad:
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:49 AM   #7

It is also recommended to turn IS off when on a tripod. I'd go on shutter mode, and let the stop change. At that range, DOF should be plenty. Look up hyperfocal distance tables. Got a remote? Buy a Payee, they are cheap. Even on a tripod it should help. Use a tripod if you aren't. Your blurs are motion, not DOF. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:04 AM   #8

Those pictures are very good, in fact for full zoom and 1/200 to 1/300 of a second exposure andhand held they are amazing.

It is good to want perfection but sometimes it is very difficult to achieve.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:39 AM   #9

"Your blurs are motion, not DOF"

even the nest? it wasn't moving! :lol:

i was using a monopod, rather than atripod - i didn't knowthis nest was there when i went to this location, and didn't have a tripod with me. next time i go, i'll take the tripod... even if it makes it harder to take shots of the birdsaway from the nest. i had OIS set in mode 2, which is where i leave it 99% of the time. i know Pana recommends turning OIS off when using a tripod, but i didn't think a monopod would be stable enough to need to turn it off. i've used the monopod before with OIS in mode 2 with excellent results...

i'll try shutter mode next time, and see how that works out...
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:25 PM   #10

I'm more at home working with sight systems than cameras. At a 100 yards we look at .001" of movement of the gun system or anything in the sight system affecting 1" of impact variation at the target. Freezing the camera for a 120 foot shot is probably fairlyessential at fairly lower shutter speeds. I'm running into pictures problemssimilar to yours at much close distance handheld.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote