Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:52 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm posting two pictures of crab spider.
Both pictures taken handheld (both with exposure time 1/160)
Hope you'll like them, all comments apreciated!

Cheers!

CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:35 PM   #2

Yes, I like them!

I think they're stunning close-ups, sharp & detailed.

Thanks.
birdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:51 PM   #3

Thank you birdyman for your comment!

Well you can always get them sharper :-) Well, ok almost always, but this is not this case. :-)
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:54 PM   #4

Very nice. Did you do these without an add on lens?
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:18 PM   #5

Thank you [email protected] for your comment.
I was actually using old russian (model MBS-10) binocular lens, which fits well for FZ-20. Only thing I had to figure out was how to stack it infront of camera's lens. There me helped an sports inventory - a wristband. With its help I could squeeze it inside original adapter and it is stuck there quite thight. But I still have to be careful because it actually fell out once.
The quality is quite good and the DOF is accptable, but then again I haven't used these popular lenses so I can't really compare. At the 12x zoom you have 8mm frame coverage through the longest side.
You can use this lens form both sides, but there is some differnce. One side is wider so vinegeting dissapears at 2x, but you are very close to subject - 5 cm or so. The other side has smaller opening and therefore vinegetting dissapears at about 4x-5x, but the working distance is some 3x further away. I usually use this side, and switch to other one if I have to take photo of larger subject or where I want to use 2x,3x or 4x zoom.
And yes, it is very heavy. Haven't weighted but it could also be around 400-500g so when stacked with camera, you hold in your hands overall weight about (but probably less than) 1kg :-)
One thing I have still to make is a difuser (or what do you call this thing for flash), and I actually like Stoney79's idea.
Here are two picture of this lens - alone and squeezed in adapter via wristband :-)

P.S. Sorry for bad english, haven't used to write such long "stories" :lol:

Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:57 AM   #6

Ingenious
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:26 AM   #7

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Ingenious
Thank you!
But this is mostly because I should to pay around 30$ for shipping to Latvia from USA and we can't get all those macro lenses in our local shops, so I just wanted to find another cheaper way to get macro shots. And yes, I haven't spent a cent for this setup - all things were at home, and so far I'm happy with it.
But I'm still planning to get either Nikon 4t/3t or Raynox DCR250, or all three of them. Just have to save money for that :-)

Cheers!
Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:33 AM   #8

Man, I think those are excellent results so pardon me for being a little slow but I got to ask.

Is the MBS-10 a binoculars or a microscope? I googled it and that's what I got. So, which part of the binoculars are you using - I'm a little confused.

Now, what do you mean by original adaptor and how do you attach it to the camera?? Could you show me a picture of the setup?

THANKS for your time.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:00 AM   #9

Cerambyx, for me these are fine but not amazing.
Not 100% sharp, but I can't tell if it's micro-moved blur (can happen at 1/160 sec) or slightly out of focus or the binocular lens which is ceretainly not as sharp as Nikon T series or Raynox DCR250.
Yet they are better than my first attempts with 6T, so it could be only a matter of practice to achieve perfect results

Nar
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:45 AM   #10

Hi narmer,
I have compared this lens to others (closeup forum).
It is a very(!) good multicoated achromat and it gives better results with my FZ5 than my old Leitz elpro achromats.
I would compare the quality of this lens to the olympus alife size achromat. In this case it is not sure that the nikon or raynox lenses will be better......
C. has made better pictures meanwhile! He had to fight with the heavy weight.
sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote