Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:50 AM   #11

Trooplewis - Good move! The c210 at ~$30 is a great deal. For the price, its lightness and power are amazing. Olympus must have discontinued production and are unloading the remainder of their stock. Not the best quality tcon out there by a long shot but certainly one of the most powerful and the quality isn't THAT bad. Highly recommended for the fun value alone!

Lovelife -
Quote:
Does the barrel have more then one position depending on zoom? Are you the one with the Raynox and the adapter chop? How do you handle the multiple positionsituations?
The fz5 barrel extends on startup to about 21.5mm beyond the front of the barrel housing. It then extends incrementally as zoom is applied to about 24mm at 12x. This 2.5mm incremental extension does not cause any interference with add-on lens using the stock adapter even if 1mm or so of unthreaded plasticis sanded from the front to get a better threaded connection. The stock adapter leaves plenty of room between the front of the fz5 barrel and the base of any add-ons (even with sanding).

IMO, there is too much room. In order to get filters/converters as close as possible to the fz5 lens, I sawed off as much of the front of fz5 adapter as I could without damaging the locking mechanism and slid a Raynox rt5264p aluminum adapter over what remained of the fz5 adapter. All the 55mm threads of the stock adapter were removed in the shortening process and were effectivley replaced with the 52mm threads of the raynox aluminum adapter which fits very securely by friction to the plastic fz5 adapter.

With the modified adapter attached,the front of the fz5 barrel at startup (21.5mm extended)is2mm or so shy of the front of theraynox. There is no physical interference withadd-ons. But as zoom is increased there is a chance of interference occuring. At full 12x zoom the front of the barrel (24mm extended) is essentially flush with the front of the raynox adapter. But, the outside diameter of the fz5 barrel is about 46mm and the inside diameter of the raynox is about 50mm. So there is approximately 2mm of open space all around between the outside of the barrel and the inside of the adapter. Depending on the add-on, that may or may not be enough space. The 52mm hoya uv filter I keep on most of the time is easily accomodated; no interference full 12x extension. So is the 52mm oly c210. My 52-55mm step ring for attaching 55mm add-ons such as the bmacro, tl55 and tcon17 is also easily accomodated. My 52mm nikon 3t macro lens, however,does interfere with the incremental extension at about 8x zoom. No harm done. When the fz5 barrel meets the least resistance, the fz5 evf/lcd tells me to turn the camera off and restart. When using the nikon 3t I keep the uv filter on and there is no problem at 12x zoom. The 52mm ricoh tc200m 1.5x tele also interferes at 8x, so I use the uv filter there as well. The 52mm Raynox dcr6600 .66x wa converter interferes with the barrel extension beyond 8x zoom. But since I don't use the wa lens at that high a zoom, I seldom run into problems there.

Actually, the only reason to do this modification other than to provide metal threads vs the stock adapter's plastic threads, is to get the raynox dcr6600 as close to the fz5 lens as possible to eliminate vignetting. With the stock adapter there is significant vignetting with the 6600 (partially due to the need for a 55-52mm step ring) and even some if I leave the 52mm uv filter on the modified adapter. (Sliding the raynox adapter over the fz5 adapter also locksthefz5 adapterin place better.)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:00 AM   #12

Lovelife, I do believe you are correct; at full 24x zoom, images are softer and darker than with the stock 12x zoom, at least when you shoot in "P" mode and let the camera make the choice. I would love to play with it and see if it will brighten up with a little tweaking of the shutter settings, but no time now.

Anyway, this lense is pretty cool for the money. I shot these with a tripod, OIS "off"

Then I cropped to the edges of the moon only, no other PP, USM, or digital adjustments.
I think in bright daylight this 1.9 TC will be a nice lense to have around.

Moon with 12x
Attached Images

trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:01 AM   #13

Same shot, tripod, OIS "off", but with the 1.9 converter installed.
Again, cropped to the diameter of the moon. Looking at where the edges
of the crops lie, I'm guessing this really is a 1.8 or 1.9 TC.

Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:28 AM   #14

trooplewis,

For $30 it is an excellent telecon lens, I think.

Can't you do some tests, whether it will work well on FZ20?
klenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:15 AM   #15

klenot wrote:
Quote:
trooplewis,

For $30 it is an excellent telecon lens, I think.

Can't you do some tests, whether it will work well on FZ20?

If that example satisfies you ..then the lens works with the FZ20..But the vignetting plus the loss of light do not make it a good choice for all around use.

Ihave a C210 and C180 and while they work ..there are much better choices.

It may well be worth 30 bucks but they are not excellent lens.

I paid 10 bucks for the C180 and that is about what its worth.

That said they do work on the FZ20

I am only tring to prepare you for what to expect from them, I am sure they work much better with a camera with a smaller lens.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:25 AM   #16

With the FZ20, you would probably get vinetting out to 10x.... the threads on the C210 are 52mm. But if all you use it for is for full 12x zooms, it might be ok.

On either camera, I would recommend setting the "picture adjustment" to "vivid" to sharpen up the shot as much as possible.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:56 PM   #17

Anyway, this lense is pretty cool for the money. I shot these with a tripod, OIS "off"...
-------->>>

Is the C210 "the best" tcon lens? (Laughs) no, of course not. But I think it's an outstanding value at $30-$40 for the "occasional" teleconverter user. Some CA, images are a little soft, it WILL vignette up to 12X zoom, but very workable images/decent prints, especially if you know your way around PS... Plus, it's nice and light.

1. It beats the HELL out of digital zoom.

2. Nice, not too expensive addition to the gear bag, that adds a lot of capability.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:13 PM   #18

Hey Nick, I suppose this is a newbie question, but clarify something for me, if you will
With a teleconverter, it would naturally let in less light because of the smaller field of vision and the light generated by that field. But, at least in "P" mode, shouldn't the camera compensate by adjusting either the ISO, the aperture, or the shutter speed so that the final picture is comparable in lighting to one taken without the teleconverter lense attached?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 6:33 PM   #19

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
With the FZ20, you would probably get vinetting out to 10x.... the threads on the C210 are 52mm. But if all you use it for is for full 12x zooms, it might be ok.

On either camera, I would recommend setting the "picture adjustment" to "vivid" to sharpen up the shot as much as possible.
On the FZ20 you get vignetting up to and including 12X , it has nothing to do with the 52mm threads..it has to do with the rear lens ( I think its called the pupil lens) is about the size of a dime and that is why it looses so much light (I think).

As Nick said its worth 20 to 40 bucks but thats about it.

And the camera does try to make up for the lost light by using a longer shutter speed which may not be the best thing to happen with a tele lens.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote