Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:10 PM   #1

Hi everyone!

I am going to be snapping shots of a 4-person vocal concert in a large cathedral style church this week. It will be at night, so the lighting will be somewhat dimmer then say a daytime mass service. (The lighting is incandescent, no flourescent i know of)

I have the FZ-20 with a recently purchased Sunpak 383. I should be able to move about the church with no problem (they have asked me to photograph for them)

I'm curious to knowwhat settings everyone would recommend. I guess you'd say I'm an "intermediate" with my FZ-20 and a beginner with the Sunpak.Should I purchase anything else for the evening? Should I bring my tripod? (just a sturdy little Slik that does the job nicely)

I would really like to be able to produce some great shots for them!

THANKS!

smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:27 PM   #2

I bought a Vivitar 285HV zoom just for such occasions. It is really bulky and I would have probably done better to buy the Sunpak and just try to get a little closer. It should do the job fine.

The recommended way to use a non-dedicated flash is with aperture priority or manual. Framing is a bear in low light though. The standard solution is to frame in program and switch to a constant aperture setting for the shot. A tripod might help with that. And a tripod might get you some decent non-flash shots when nobody is moving. Use the burst mode for that – it is amazing how often one of them will be good.

You need to practice before actually shooting the event. With my flash the recommended settings from the flash manual aren't always perfect. That is especially true using bounce. On the Vivitar for long shots I start with the f2.8 setting on the flash and use that on the camera. I often get better shots with the flash turned one notch down for direct shots and the highest sensitivity for bounce.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3

This is not a tripod situation. The 383 from what I understand will make for wonderful shots at sufficient speed for hand held work. The only addition thing I can think of issome kind of white cardboard contraption mounted on top of the flash to act as a light bouncing surface. The churchceiling isprobablyover 8 feet.
Many 383 users on the forum,will help with the fine points.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:58 PM   #4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...714&is=REG

Sto-fen #OM-422 Omni-Bounce

For bouncing as you mentioned?

...And I'm guessing I just encountered that viewfinder gain-up problem that everyone chats about on here

Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:11 PM   #5

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...714&is=REG

Sto-fen #OM-422 Omni-Bounce

For bouncing as you mentioned?

...And I'm guessing I just encountered that viewfinder gain-up problem that everyone chats about on here

This is what you could face without a flash.

Aperture: [/b]
f/3.3

ISO: [/b]

Focal Length: [/b]
72mm (432mm 35mm)

Exposure Time: [/b]
0.0666s (10/150)

Sitting in 10th row center, with myfeet on the chair and my knees up to my chest. The camera sits on top of my knees with my face pushed against the camera back for more support. I hope I never have to do 1/15 sec.again.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:19 PM   #6

Ow.

Given the circumstances... that looks quite decent!

You may have a bit of an advantage with that shot compared to me... there seems to be bright lights illuminating the singers. I may not have that luxury, I'm not sure yet.

I'm going to see if I can work out a little compromise. A few flashes here and there from afar (thank you 12x zoom!)...