Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:28 AM   #1

[align=center]Tiger Lilies Night & Day[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:38 AM   #2

I really like the light in the second picture, although the flower would have benefited of a little sharpening
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 5:19 PM   #3

Very nice! I especially like the second one as well. Now that you've shown me a good photo of tiger lillies, maybe I'll try my neighbor's again. My first half dozen attempts left much to be desired. Glad to see that someonecan do it right.
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:22 PM   #4

Those are nice shots. Sorry to be a nitpicker, but those are Hemerocallis Fulva, the common roadside daylily.
CTPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:49 PM   #5

CTPhil wrote:
Quote:
those are Hemerocallis Fulva, the common roadside daylily.
Thank you, CTPhil. And apologies to pgunn for my earlier erroneous correction regarding the name of theselilies. I think tiger lily is a nice name for theseflowers butanother lily already has that name so we'll leave it at that. Here is what Iwas brought upto believe is a day lily (at night). What isit then?

Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:08 PM   #6

Nice shots Fred. But I'm confused...is the first one taken at night (closed) and is the second one taken during the day (open)? Cause if it is, it looks like it was taken at night (too dark) shouldn't it look more like this if it was a day shot?????

Hiroshi
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Here is what IĀ*was brought upĀ*to believe is a day lily (at night).Ā* What isĀ*it then?
That too is a daylily, one of nearly 40,000 named varieties. The "fulva" daylily is a non hybridized version. Daylilies don't "close" at night, each bloom only lasts for a day and then it is spent, as in the first night picture.
CTPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:32 PM   #8

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
But I'm confused...is the first one taken at night (closed) and is the second one taken during the day (open)? Cause if it is, it looks like it was taken at night (too dark) shouldn't it look more like this if it was a day shot?????
The second (day) shot was taken around 5pm with the sun at a fairly low angle, thus the darker (natural) color. Your tweaking, as it were, putsthe level of light at mid-daywhich was not the case.

Quote:
one of nearly 40,000 named varieties.

That's beyond the scope of my wife's garden.

Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:39 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
The second (day) shot was taken around 5pm with the sun at a fairly low angle, thus the darker (natural) color. Your tweaking, as it were, putsthe level of light at mid-daywhich was not the case.

Thanks Fred. Now it all makes sense to me, it also explains the warm hue which is typical when the sun is in that position.

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote