Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:55 AM   #11

The point to this exersize is to buy the cheapest that is "Serviceable"

and the Phayee fits the bill. Afterall when the FZ30 arrives soon the whole lot will be obsolete maybe.

It is true. All the people who buy the Phayee are robbing Mr. Chin of his profits. It is plain thievery. The Phayee adapter has a spotty production record with intermittent finish and fit problems, but people keep going for the cheap. They wait 2 – 3 weeks for a $17.00 difference. The newbie's then blow their saving on circular polarizer, multi-coated UV, and TCs ill suited for the FZ. What else is new? The Phayee is made in China like everything else in our US world, but it is one thing to legally produce things and another for black market forgeries. Someone on another forum said that their filters are counterfeits. All you hear from the newbie's is "I bought the Phayee adapter and it is the best thing since sliced bread. It is a 62mm adapter, which uses step rings to accommodate other sizes, and none of the hoods offered are deep enough for the FZ cameras. I think that every forum should boycott the Phayee product line. There are plenty of good adapters available, Pemaraal, made in the USA, Raynox and Yosheda from Japan, Chin from Taiwan and soon my own CRing made in the 90 % made in the USA and 10 % in India. Why do you think I am so angry? They had better not copy my design.

LoveLife, here in Aus we have 3 Chinese defectors who say that there are >1000

spies in this Country.

So what has this to do with Raynox etc well here in Aus we cannot even make own nickers, they are made in China also.

And yes Hazzarbonemy Driza Bone was yes shock horror made in China also.

Charlie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 9:21 AM   #12

I was going to add this before but decided against it.

I think all the MFGs. copied the measurments from the Yoshida adapter, that was, I think, the first adapter available , at least it was the first I found when the FZ10 came out.

And while the Yoshida is expensive it is very well made.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:20 AM   #13

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
It is true. All the people who buy the Phayee are robbing Mr. Chin of his profits. It is plain thievery. The Phayee adapter has a spotty production record with intermittent finish and fit problems, but people keep going for the cheap. They wait 2 – 3 weeks for a $17.00 difference. The newbie's then blow their saving on circular polarizer, multi-coated UV, and TCs ill suited for the FZ. What else is new? The Phayee is made in China like everything else in our US world, but it is one thing to legally produce things and another for black market forgeries. Someone on another forum said that their filters are counterfeits. All you hear from the newbie's is "I bought the Phayee adapter and it is the best thing since sliced bread. It is a 62mm adapter, which uses step rings to accommodate other sizes, and none of the hoods offered are deep enough for the FZ cameras. I think that every forum should boycott the Phayee product line. There are plenty of good adapters available, Pemaraal, made in the USA, Raynox and Yosheda from Japan, Chin from Taiwan and soon my own CRing made in the 90 % made in the USA and 10 % in India. Why do you think I am so angry? They had better not copy my design.
is it 'thievery' to produce a product similar to another one, and then sell more because the 'copy' is less expensive? nope. it's competition.if the originator cannot compete on price, and his product is not technically superior enough to sustain the higher cost he charges, he loses market share. perhaps you should have paid more attention in Econ 101... as for your own design, whether or not it will be copied will be determined by the marketplace. if consumers are as impressed with it as you seem to be, and if the demand for itis high enough, rest assured, there WILL be copies, and unless you have an ironclad patent, there won't be a thing you can do to stop it, so you may as well accept the idea of off-shore competition from the get-go. but don't take it too hard... after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:11 AM   #14

well said..

:G
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
is it 'thievery' to produce a product similar to another one, and then sell more because the 'copy' is less expensive? nope. it's competition.if the originator cannot compete on price, and his product is not technically superior enough to sustain the higher cost he charges, he loses market share. perhaps you should have paid more attention in Econ 101... as for your own design, whether or not it will be copied will be determined by the marketplace. if consumers are as impressed with it as you seem to be, and if the demand for itis high enough, rest assured, there WILL be copies, and unless you have an ironclad patent, there won't be a thing you can do to stop it, so you may as well accept the idea of off-shore competition from the get-go. but don't take it too hard... after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:44 PM   #15

This is what your post looks like on my screen. I'm sure it is fascinating reading but I'm never going to know.

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased the Phayee adapter through Rong Jin on Ebay, and it'll probably arrive in a week or so. I looked at Shene's site (great information BTW, thanks!) and this 'warning' got me a little worried. I heard (confirmation?) that the Phayee adapter was a knock-off of Mr. Chen's adapter, and on Shene's site, it states:

Quote:
Mr. Chen knew there are some copycats in Taiwan and China producing very similar products. He pointed out that many of these products could jam the manual focusing ring or may not allow filters or converters to be screwed to the best possible position.

Can this be confirmed by anyone who owns the Phayee? I'm hoping it applies to other cheaper knock-offs, and not the Phayee in particular. Thanks!
Attached Images

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:43 PM   #16

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:

squirl033 - I am incensed by your narrowly focused opinion. Piracy is rampant in China - doesn't matter if one has a patent or copyright; these forms of intellectual property protection are simply ignored in China... until they start being inventive themselves - then they will crack down on foreigners trying to copy their products!!!

My company spends an enormous amount of $$$ on R&D for developing new products/processes that we take to the market. We are happy to have a small percentage be successful and rely on that to make a living. IF the Chinese were to also copy our failures and so-so products, then perhaps I might half heartedly agree with you that it's "competition". But if you and the rest of the free world would get their heads out of their a$$es, you would see what's happening!

Unfortunately squirl, you are in the majority.... just keep shopping at places like Walmart (who has put several of my customers out of business by demanding lower prices that could only be met by moving their production to China) and then remember this flaming reply when you wake up one morning and find your job gone,and your fuel costs even higher becauseour natural resources will be owned by the Chinese (they are making bids for US owned oil reserves right now!).

Sorry for the rant... competition my a$$! It's flagrantly stealing and reaping the benefits of someone elses hard work and developmnet $$$'s.

WAKE UP PEOPLE B4 IT'S TOO LATE
habanero5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:45 PM   #17

I don't know who was the original and who is a copy. I bought my Phayee because of recommendations from a number of forums and I must say that I am very happy with it.

I agree with you Habanero5869 but for those of us who live in a small town, WalMart is the only place left to shop as everyone else is gone (bad but the facts of life)

There is a good chance that the Phayee is a copy but there is also a chance that someone copied the Phayee. Maybe someone should spend a week trying to find that out but I am one of those who won't.

If we allow China to buy the 2nd largest oil company in the US then we deserve to go down the drain because we are a lot more stupid than I thought.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:13 PM   #18

Ergh, let's try to keep this thread on-topic guys! It wasn't the intention that this turn into a copyright infringement debate :?
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:41 PM   #19

habanero5869 wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 - I am incensed by your narrowly focused opinion. Piracy is rampant in China - doesn't matter if one has a patent or copyright; these forms of intellectual property protection are simply ignored in China... until they start being inventive themselves - then they will crack down on foreigners trying to copy their products!!!

My company spends an enormous amount of $$$ on R&D for developing new products/processes that we take to the market. We are happy to have a small percentage be successful and rely on that to make a living. IF the Chinese were to also copy our failures and so-so products, then perhaps I might half heartedly agree with you that it's "competition". But if you and the rest of the free world would get their heads out of their a$$es, you would see what's happening!

Unfortunately squirl, you are in the majority.... just keep shopping at places like Walmart (who has put several of my customers out of business by demanding lower prices that could only be met by moving their production to China) and then remember this flaming reply when you wake up one morning and find your job gone,and your fuel costs even higher becauseour natural resources will be owned by the Chinese (they are making bids for US owned oil reserves right now!).

Sorry for the rant... competition my a$$! It's flagrantly stealing and reaping the benefits of someone elses hard work and developmnet $$$'s.

WAKE UP PEOPLE B4 IT'S TOO LATE
please feel free to be incensed. but please also feel free to do something about it, like working for trade reform, or taking concrete steps to force China to crack down on patent infringement (good luck with that one). or maybe you can influence Beijing to de-link the yuan from the dollar so it willfloat to its 'natural' level, which would increase the price of Chinese goods in this country, and help reduce the trade deficit...

don't get me wrong. i sympathize with your situation, and i hate seeing US jobs outsourced to Asia - or anywhere else, for that matter - but the laws of economics cannot be repealed by any one company or country, and until and unless governments can be persuaded to take the steps to correct such inequities as you describe, themarket willdecide, whether you like it or not. that may not be fair, but it is reality.

yes, the Chinese are trying to buy up US companies - like Maytag and Unocal - which could be a serious problem for the US refining industry (even if thatbid is successful, they will not own US oil reserves), IF they are allowed to go through with the deal. personally, i would hate to see ANY US company owned by the Chinese, but it ain't up to me. oh, and by the way - i NEVER shop at Wal-Mart!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:01 PM   #20

Phayee is a wonderful product I recommend it unequivocally It is as sturdy as a Chinese Junk and costs $29.00US including shipping, and takes 2 weeks for delivery. Then again, you can buy an adapter made in the US for $9.00 more and get it in 4 days.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote