Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:24 PM   #21

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Phayee is a wonderful product I recommend it unequivocally It is as sturdy as a Chinese Junk and costs $29.00US including shipping, and takes 2 weeks for delivery. Then again, you can buy an adapter made in the US for $9.00 more
and get it in 4 days.
Are you referring to the Permaraal as the US version for $9.00 more? I ordered the silver Phayee with the extra cap, so it all came out to $22.50 + $2.50 + $6.50 (shipping) = $31.50.

Equivalently, I think the PA62H Silver matches the Phayee the closest, and costs...$48 + $6.50 (extra cap) + $4.00 (shipping) = $58.50.

Considering the investment of the FZ20 itself, a difference of $17 isn't that much, but considering they have the same function I don't believe the Phayee to be that poorly made. Still haven't seen it for myself, but from opinions of other members here, it can't be half as bad as what you make it out to be.

How about you just sell me your Phayee? I wouldn't mind having an extra just incase it really is as "study as Chinese junk"!
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:11 PM   #22

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Phayee is a wonderful product I recommend it unequivocally It is as sturdy as a Chinese Junk and costs $29.00US including shipping, and takes 2 weeks for delivery. Then again, you can buy an adapter made in the US for $9.00 more
and get it in 4 days.
Are you referring to the Permaraal as the US version for $9.00 more? I ordered the silver Phayee with the extra cap, so it all came out to $22.50 + $2.50 + $6.50 (shipping) = $31.50.

Equivalently, I think the PA62H Silver matches the Phayee the closest, and costs...$48 + $6.50 (extra cap) + $4.00 (shipping) = $58.50.

Considering the investment of the FZ20 itself, a difference of $17 isn't that much, but considering they have the same function I don't believe the Phayee to be that poorly made. Still haven't seen it for myself, but from opinions of other members here, it can't be half as bad as what you make it out to be.

How about you just sell me your Phayee? I wouldn't mind having an extra just incase it really is as "study as Chinese junk"!
I see you are referring to the napkin ring model, you are correct I was thinking of the $32.00 PA series because I do not even consider either napkin ring a proper hood for this camera. A Hama style collapsible hood is the deepest and gives you protection up to 250mm zoom. That is the best available today. Most people after getting the Phayee toss the napkin holder and get the Hama. I do not have a Phayee; I have my own design, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. It is different, of course, from all the rest. It will be going on sale next month. I am still working on pricing. I guess $33.00 for the 62mm CRing adapter, $9.00 for a 62mm Hama Style hood, $4.75 for a cap with a special stretch cord cap keeper and $5.75 for priority mail anywhere in the 50 states. That comes to $52.50 for a product that: weighs under 3.8oz with the hood, 2.2 without. It has an esthetic design and a non-slip slot for the cap keeper.The priority mail shipments will leave our local post officethree times per weekday and once of Saturday. There is more to the story but you will have to email me.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 8:35 PM   #23

Charlie_D wrote:
Quote:
The Clearance on my Phayee Adapter to Focus Ring is 0.55mm

Be Careful with what you Clean your Phayee Adapter with as the "Black Stuff"

comes off very easily.

Charlie_D

:-)
Is this a mine is better then yours? My adapter has a clearanceof .0231mm to the focus ring and I would replace my adapter if that happened. It is milled on programmable lathes out of 6061 T6 billet aluminum.[chest pounding]
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:22 PM   #24

Is this a mine is better then yours? My adapter has a clearanceof .0231mm to the focus ring and I would replace my adapter if that happened. It is milled on programmable lathes out of 6061 T6 billet aluminum.[chest pounding]

LoveLife, I went down an engineering path and removed the Phayee then replaced the Pana Plastic Funnel just to see how much clearance Panasonic gave it?

Answer 0.40mm

Conclusion: Put in an engineering mod to at least bring your Adapter up to Panasonic standards.

:?

Charlie_D

Charlie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:31 PM   #25

Charlie_D wrote:
Quote:

LoveLife, I went down an engineering path and removed the Phayee then replaced the Pana Plastic Funnel just to see how much clearance Panasonic gave it?

Answer 0.40mm

Conclusion: Put in an engineering mod to at least bring your Adapter up to Panasonic standards.

:?

Charlie_D
They do not have a choice they need the tolerance for injection molding. I am just guy who hasworked on operating systems design. I designed and built a fully functional 3,200 cubic foot solar greenhouse on the south side of a home. I have modified the heck out of a 1990 Nissan 240sx. I am a sticker for the illusive perfection. My manufactures programmable lathe can meet tolerances of .0001mm but I do not trust Panasonic. This is not an important number because this is only a trim skirt.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:05 AM   #26

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
My manufactures programmable lathe can meet tolerances of .0001mm but I do not trust Panasonic.
um... i think you mean .0001 INCH. one ten-thousandth of a millimeter (.1 micron) is beyond the capabilty of any NC lathe. most machine shops can routinely hold 3-5 tenths; maintaining one tenth is extremely difficult and costly, and except for ultra-precision work for biomedical, electronic, and some aerospace applications, is also totally unnecessary
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:54 AM   #27

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
My manufactures programmable lathe can meet tolerances of .0001mm but I do not trust Panasonic.
um... i think you mean .0001 INCH. one ten-thousandth of a millimeter (.1 micron) is beyond the capabilty of any NC lathe. most machine shops can routinely hold 3-5 tenths; maintaining one tenth is extremely difficult and costly, and except for ultra-precision work for biomedical, electronic, and some aerospace applications, is also totally unnecessary
Sorry for the error I am running my parts at +/- .035mm at reduced rpm. The adapter is done in 3 passes, 2 on the front 1 on the rear. It is a beautiful thing to watch. They just got a 3rd machine I have not seen it yet. I think he told be it can do two at a time. I could be wrong. I am going to the factory next week and will let you know if your interested.