Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:51 PM   #1

I just purchased the Phayee adapter through Rong Jin on Ebay, and it'll probably arrive in a week or so. I looked at Shene's site (great information BTW, thanks!) and this 'warning' got me a little worried. I heard (confirmation?) that the Phayee adapter was a knock-off of Mr. Chen's adapter, and on Shene's site, it states:

Quote:
Mr. Chen knew there are some copycats in Taiwan and China producing very similar products. He pointed out that many of these products could jam the manual focusing ring or may not allow filters or converters to be screwed to the best possible position.

Can this be confirmed by anyone who owns the Phayee? I'm hoping it applies to other cheaper knock-offs, and not the Phayee in particular. Thanks!
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:04 PM   #2

The Phayee adapter is a well built adapter and although it does appear to be copied from the Chen adapter it is well made.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:39 PM   #3

Well Friend, I can say from my own experience that mine has not given me any problems at all in anyway, and I'm more than sure you will be very pleased. I have had mine since January 2005. oh yeah and its never been off the camera since.
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:04 PM   #4

The Clearance on my Phayee Adapter to Focus Ring is 0.55mm

Be Careful with what you Clean your Phayee Adapter with as the "Black Stuff"

comes off very easily.

Charlie_D

:-)
Charlie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:33 PM   #5

i have no idea whoShene is, but my Phayee adapter does not in any way intefere with the manual focus ring, and i have no problem with filters. the Phayee may be a copy, but if soit's a well made copy, and i don't believe you'll have any problems at all with it. like Hazz, i've had mine on my FZ20 since the first of the year, and see absolutely no reason to remove it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6

Charlie_D wrote:
Quote:
The Clearance on my Phayee Adapter to Focus Ring is 0.55mm

Be Careful with what you Clean your Phayee Adapter with as the "Black Stuff"

comes off very easily.

Charlie_D

:-)
It appears that the anodizing process of the Phayee is not that good. Mine has had very little use and the silver is starting to show on the edges. A true anodizing process would be more resistant. Otherwise the adapter works fine.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:35 AM   #7

Rhombuss wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased the Phayee adapter through Rong Jin on Ebay, and it'll probably arrive in a week or so. I looked at Shene's site (great information BTW, thanks!) and this 'warning' got me a little worried. I heard (confirmation?) that the Phayee adapter was a knock-off of Mr. Chen's adapter, and on Shene's site, it states:

Quote:
Mr. Chen knew there are some copycats in Taiwan and China producing very similar products. He pointed out that many of these products could jam the manual focusing ring or may not allow filters or converters to be screwed to the best possible position.

Can this be confirmed by anyone who owns the Phayee? I'm hoping it applies to other cheaper knock-offs, and not the Phayee in particular. Thanks!
It is true. All the people who buy the Phayee are robbing Mr. Chin of his profits. It is plain thievery. The Phayee adapter has a spotty production record with intermittent finish and fit problems, but people keep going for the cheap. They wait 2 – 3 weeks for a $17.00 difference. The newbie's then blow their saving on circular polarizer, multi-coated UV, and TCs ill suited for the FZ. What else is new? The Phayee is made in China like everything else in our US world, but it is one thing to legally produce things and another for black market forgeries. Someone on another forum said that their filters are counterfeits. All you hear from the newbie's is "I bought the Phayee adapter and it is the best thing since sliced bread. It is a 62mm adapter, which uses step rings to accommodate other sizes, and none of the hoods offered are deep enough for the FZ cameras. I think that every forum should boycott the Phayee product line. There are plenty of good adapters available, Pemaraal, made in the USA, Raynox and Yosheda from Japan, Chin from Taiwan and soon my own CRing made in the 90 % made in the USA and 10 % in India. Why do you think I am so angry? They had better not copy my design.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:22 AM   #8

Rhombuss,

I am in exactly the same position as you are in...I purchased Phayee by recommendations of all the forum members here.:?..Till this thread :shock:..I never came across any negative remarks and this discussion has got me worried...

Requesting Guys who have had Phayee for more than 5-6 months...feedback please..

Here is the link to what I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

BTW...I read the feedback of lot of people who have bought the same adapter from him...and not one has said anything negative about it...SO I am just keeping my fingers crossed..
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:46 AM   #9

Well Mr Lovelife, is it not possible that a Mr Chin copied from 'original' Permareel adaptor, and at about the same time the Phayee was too.

So both hit the market at about the same time, who copied who? I brought mine in good faith that it did what I was told it would do, which it does, then why, like most, would I want to pay 2 or 3 times the price for same from else-where.

I, again like many, did not know of the exsistence of any of the others, other than the ones Panasonic made, which here in Australia, cost more than having intensive surgery.
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:13 AM   #10

Well, I'll post my thoughts once it arrives, but the consensus is that the adapter functions well. Luckily, I bought a silver FZ20, so I'm assuming the silver adapter is clear anodized, and won't wear as obviously as the black. Definitely couldn't go wrong with price though, considering some step-up/down rings already cost like $10-15 depending on the range.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote