Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2

hey nice pics Fmoore :|especially like #3 , i dont know what flower it is

i just like the color of it , i took 1 using the mac lens a month agoand it looks like its floating in space kinda like your's
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:16 PM   #3

Pics 1&2 are a trumpet vine.
rebelpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:53 PM   #4

Really nice pics, Fred. BTW: How are you liking the FZ5? There's a lot of hype here and elsewhere, but I'm keen to know how the FZ old-timers rate it.
erasmus41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:37 AM   #5

erasmus41 wrote:
Quote:
How are you liking the FZ5? There's a lot of hype here and elsewhere, but I'm keen to know how the FZ old-timers rate it.
Hey Bryan - Well, there's no turning back. The fz5 is much, much faster all around than the fz1. Faster startup - faster focus. The fz1 feels like its running on heavyweight oil a cold winters day in comparison.The stronger flash (the intensity of which is thankfully adjustable) and the focus assist lamp make it a much more enjoyable and accurate low light camera. I have particulary enjoyed taking night macro shots of flowerswith the onboardflash. Of course, the crop option and the increased detail as a result of the 5mpis a huge plus. The size and weighthave beennoticeablyreduced. It feels real good in an old fz1 users hands. I'm really very happy with the camera.

As we know, the fz's have auto focusing idiosyncracies and the fz5 is no different in that regard. In fact, as has been noted, the fz5 is quite a bit more difficult than the fz1. It tends to focus on the backgound at higher zooms. It's a matter of getting that optimum contrast point and I really feel that I will figure this out and get a better percentage of in focus high zoom shots with time and experience. But I think Panasonic needs to do some more work in this area. It's possible that 5mp isthe currentthreshold in such a small cameraand this lens/sensor system is not quite up to it. The new Canon S2 has the same problem apparently so I'm not about to jump ship for that.

I will be keeping the fz5 and shooting with it regularly. Except for its wonderful ir capability, the fz1 stays in its case....nearby. I'm a happy panyman!

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote