Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:44 PM   #11

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:38 PM   #12

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
fmoore, do you have this adapter?

And is it true then that you can only use Raynox filters?

Are there any other B&H products that would work (theyre my dealer of choice)

THANKS!
Well then you can only buy what they sell.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:47 PM   #13

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The Raynox 1540 pro is another teleconverter and it does an excellent job. [email protected] has shown time and again with his wildlife bird shots. It is a 52mm thread in the rear and 67mm in the front. I use this one since it fits directly on the adapter which is only $15.95 at bugeyedigital.com. Using a hood will vignette though at the widest angle. It goes away at about 2x. Minor to me since I do crop my shots or a simple cloning can fix it.

I use a UV filter on my 1540 pro and use a hood as well.
This lens is a sleeper. It produces woderful bright and sharp pictures, not as good as the TCON14B. But it vignettes without filter or hood, from 6.6X and down which is no big deal. The lens can be used from 6.8X and up without any problem, and that is the range it should be used in. Results will be worse when step rings are introduced so there are only two good adapters. The Raynox RT5264P and ....
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:39 PM   #14

Jake D wrote
Quote:
I used the raynox with a step up ring and a 62mm uv without any difference in picture quality that I could notice. I stopped using the adapter because after a while it stopped staying on firmly and I was always tightening it. Even more so when I had a wide angle lens attached. One of the problems in the design I felt was that you could screw it up against the focus ring, as opposed to having the threads stop short inside so you have some clearance. Turn the focus and friction will loosen the adapter a bit, then it wriggles loose some more with use. Actually the first phayee I received had the same problem, and because of the thicker material it was actually stripping the finish off the screw heads. The replacement did have some clearance and is working well.

I've never had any such problem with my Raynox adapter -- just checked it and there's a comfortable .020" clearance from the focus ring with the adapter screwed on tight.

Screwed on tight, it actually takes quite a bit of pressure to start unscrewing it.

There are two versions of the adapter -- one is parallel and the other is stepped down just in front of the rear thread, I have the latter.

That you had a similar problem with the Phayee as well makes me wonder if perhaps your focus ring isn't mounted quite right -- the clearance between the rear of the focus ring and the camera body is almost indiscernable on mine.

It would in any case be a simple matter to turn just a little off the end of the adapter and create sufficient clearance, the device should then never work loose.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:25 PM   #15

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:51 AM   #16

Jake D wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for checking Idle. It's been a few months since I used it so I double checked, there is some tolerance on the raynox, I can just get my nail under it. So ring friction isn't what is loosening it like I assumed. Might be the wide angle lens I was using was too heavy for it. Don't know but it doesn't stay tight for long no matter how hard I tighten it. With the phayee, the first one I received was defective, on the replacement the tolerances were completely different.
This could be a problem with the actual threads. If the thread pitch is not correct, the gap between the male and female could be too much and cause sloppy threads. Before you completely tighten the threads, can you jiggle the adapter from side to side? Exerting too much pressure when first installing the adapter can also cause this condition.The Raynox is cheap because it is made cheaply. The threads on the FZ may be bad. Take the original trim ring and see if that screws on tightly.