Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1

Hi everyone, before everyone jumps on me... I have searched the forum for information and this is what I came up with --but before I drop the cash, I just wanted to verify that this is the correct adapter to add a uv filter, etc on to my FZ-20. I understand the Phayee is a qualty adapter as well -- but I will be in an outdoor vacation type environment very soon and need to protect the lens yesterday! lol

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The folks at B&H, while very helpful, were clueless as to what to do about the adapter tube issue a little over a week ago when I went in there. I know I've searched for the Raynox adapter on their site before, and the FZ-20 never came up... perhaps they've added this since then? Or I'm just very bad at searching things out! haha.

Is what I need? Or could someone else direct me to what to buy from B&H? THANKS!

smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone, before everyone jumps on me... I have searched the forum for information and this is what I came up with --but before I drop the cash, I just wanted to verify that this is the correct adapter to add a uv filter, etc on to my FZ-20. I understand the Phayee is a qualty adapter as well -- but I will be in an outdoor vacation type environment very soon and need to protect the lens yesterday! lol

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The folks at B&H, while very helpful, were clueless as to what to do about the adapter tube issue a little over a week ago when I went in there. I know I've searched for the Raynox adapter on their site before, and the FZ-20 never came up... perhaps they've added this since then? Or I'm just very bad at searching things out! haha.

Is what I need? Or could someone else direct me to what to buy from B&H? THANKS!

That is the Raynox model. That is finefor a UVand if you donot intend to use non Raynox lenses. The reason is you would need step rings and they reduce the quality of the TC.
bumbiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:29 PM   #3

The raynox rt5264p is an aluminum adapter designed for the fz10/15/20. The camera end diameter is 64mm and the filter end is 52mm, thus the model number. 52mm filters and converters are quite common so there is no reason to feel restricted by using this adapter. IMO, the use a step ring (were you to need it)is significant primarilywith a wide angel converter.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4

fmoore, do you have this adapter?

And is it true then that you can only use Raynox filters?

Are there any other B&H products that would work (theyre my dealer of choice)

THANKS!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:55 AM   #5

Check out the U.S. made Pemaraal adapter. They make them from 62mm on down. An important consideration if you're planning on adding a teleconverter and wide angle in the future. Telecomverters work best when closest to the camera lens. Step-up rings will add a little distance between the lenses and that could be crucial to getting sharp pictures.

For example, two very popular teleconverters are the 55mm Tcon 17 and the 62mmTcon 14B. With the Raynox 52mm adapter you would need a step-up ring. If for example you end up getting a Tcon 14B and a Wcon 08B (wide angle) they are both 62mm, so your best bet would be a 62mm adapter. The Tcon 17 and Wcon 0.7 are both 55mm, so a 55mm adapter would be the best choice.

If you have no plans of adding other lenses and just want an adapter to screw on a UV filter unto, the Raynox will do fine.

Here is the address for the Pemaraal site.

http://www.pemaraal.com

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:40 AM   #6

I have the Raynox adapter and I've never been in the least jealous of those who have other adapters.

I'll list a few of the reasons I'm happy with it:

It's well made, strong, fits perfectly and looks part of the camera, it's cheap, it accepts all 52mm threaded filters, lenses and other bits, it's cheap, it will take devices that don't fit directly with a suitable adapter ring (just like all the others do), it's cheap, it's metal, not plastic and, above all, it's cheap!.

I tripped on some broken concrete in the footpath & fell flat on my face, the camera went rolling end-for-end and the sole damage was a few easily fixed scratches on the adapter (plus I lost a fair bit of skin, of course, which eventually fixed itself.)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:17 AM   #7

id go with the 62 mm set up you can pick up a very nice 62 mm Filter set Hoya Deluxe nature set . Has 4 filters , UV , PP , ND FLD for it at Adorama
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:39 AM   #8

My own choice was the Parmarral PA55 adapter, Aluminum and with a 55mm front thread. I use it with a TCON17, or a Nikon 6T macro adapter. Also have saved money by using 55mm linear polarizer, UV filter and rubber lens hood. 55s are usually less expensive than 62, etc. Tom :-)
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:44 AM   #9

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
fmoore, do you have this adapter?

And is it true then that you can only use Raynox filters?

Are there any other B&H products that would work (theyre my dealer of choice)

THANKS!
Iuse the raynox adapter but not with the fz20. I use itto modify the fz5 stock adapter. Seehttp://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm

Certainly NOT true that only raynox filters will work with the rt5264p. The only difference in these various adapters is the front (filter end) diameter. As a rule of thumb, it is best to get filters/converters as close as possible to the camera lens. Step rings increase that distance. If you canstay away from using a step ring, do it. Is it all that critical? No.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:23 PM   #10

The Raynox 1540 pro is another teleconverter and it does an excellent job. [email protected] has shown time and again with his wildlife bird shots. It is a 52mm thread in the rear and 67mm in the front. I use this one since it fits directly on the adapter which is only $15.95 at bugeyedigital.com. Using a hood will vignette though at the widest angle. It goes away at about 2x. Minor to me since I do crop my shots or a simple cloning can fix it.

I use a UV filter on my 1540 pro and use a hood as well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote