Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:56 AM   #11

I will keep an eye out for your answer from B and H. The Canon website had no info on it at all.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:52 AM   #12

Food for thought======== (:<]

I made a single petal hood from sheet plastic ,from a file folder,that looks somewhat like a "T" Think of the Pana petal hood, or the hood above in this thread,with all but one larger petal cut off but made of sheet plastic.

The top of the T is attached to the lensby a rubber band. Thinking of adding 'Velcro' like the band on a ball cap. The width of the upright part of the T, the petal,is about 1/2 the circumference of the lens.

Simple, cheap, folds to store and the best of all it works. Fits in my waist-pac next to my 72mm Hama hood. Would never get a 105mm or even an 86mm metal hood into the pac. My aluminum case is filled to the gills too!

I can change it for telephoto to wide angle shots by shifting it closer or wider to the lens's axis. Keeps sun/glare off lens's face.

Oh! BTW: The price is really right: ZERO!

STAN.

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:35 PM   #13

Hiroshi,

I searched a variety of web sites for telephoto lenses with 86 mm filter sizes.... Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Olympus...etc. I found only Sigma and Tamron lenses use 86 mm filters. I then studied the operator's manuals and found that nothing will work like the Contax number 5. This stinks, so I guess some modifications to other hoods or a self design is in order.

The Canon ET-86 hood you were looking at is used on the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens and this uses a 77 mm filter. My guess is it either screws into the filter (whichis thewrong size thread)oronto the lensover the filter (which means internal threads). Take a look at the pictures of this lens.

What I did find that may work bayonet style is the Tamron lens hood for the 200-500 mm F5-6.3 DI LD lens, Mfr. part number: RHAFA08, B&H photo part number: TALH200500.This hoodfits over an 86mm filter and has anoutside diameterof 93.5mm. Check the outside diameter of the tele lens and it should be somewhere around 90mm to 91mm if it is like my pana. Thismay be able to be modified to work. I may call up Tamron and ask some questions. Other than that, I have exhausted any possibilities I can think of.

imaruke
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:20 AM   #14

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi,

I searched a variety of web sites for telephoto lenses with 86 mm filter sizes.... Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Olympus...etc. I found only Sigma and Tamron lenses use 86 mm filters. I then studied the operator's manuals and found that nothing will work like the Contax number 5. This stinks, so I guess some modifications to other hoods or a self design is in order.

The Canon ET-86 hood you were looking at is used on the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens and this uses a 77 mm filter. My guess is it either screws into the filter (whichis thewrong size thread)oronto the lensover the filter (which means internal threads). Take a look at the pictures of this lens.

What I did find that may work bayonet style is the Tamron lens hood for the 200-500 mm F5-6.3 DI LD lens, Mfr. part number: RHAFA08, B&H photo part number: TALH200500.This hoodfits over an 86mm filter and has anoutside diameterof 93.5mm. Check the outside diameter of the tele lens and it should be somewhere around 90mm to 91mm if it is like my pana. Thismay be able to be modified to work. I may call up Tamron and ask some questions. Other than that, I have exhausted any possibilities I can think of.

imaruke
imaruke,

I think you found a winnerFor the price it's worth an experiment. Let me know if you find out more info on it.... It's worth a tweak:G... Sorry, I've been on the road and haven't had much time to pursue it. Thanks for your help and research. It's greatly appreciated

Hiroshi
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:40 AM   #15

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
I will keep an eye out for your answer from B and H. The Canon website had no info on it at all.
Why wouild canon have information , did they buy out Contax?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:46 AM   #16

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
imaruke wrote:
Quote:
No LoveLife, Imaruke is taking about this:
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:57 AM   #17

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Some 86mm hood is better than no hood.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:51 AM   #18

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife, can you give details about what you are making?

- diameter and length

-material

-thread size and type (fine or course)

Isthe 3 month deliveryperiod you mentioned earlier a definite time frame?

Sorry for all of the questions. Ihave been waiting a long time for the Contax hood and am ready to procede with a homemade hood unlessanother alternative is available.

FYI: Adorama has an 86mm Helopan rubber hood (over $50.00) but I think itis toowideand wouldn't be able to help with lens flare.

Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:15 AM   #19

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife, can you give details about what you are making?

- diameter and length

-material

-thread size and type (fine or course)

Isthe 3 month deliveryperiod you mentioned earlier a definite time frame?

Sorry for all of the questions. Ihave been waiting a long time for the Contax hood and am ready to procede with a homemade hood unlessanother alternative is available.

FYI: Adorama has an 86mm Helopan rubber hood (over $50.00) but I think itis toowideand wouldn't be able to help with lens flare.
TCON 14B lens hood

Material aluminum

Front OD 89mm ID 87mm

Rear OD 86mmfine thread .72 pitch ID 84mm

Total length 77mm including a thread height of 2.25mm

Inside scored with baffle rings and finished in a non-reflecting black.

Outside finished in black anodized

These are rough dimension and may change.

The hood length could have been a bit longer but I am leaving pouch room for a 2.5mm filter stack with 86mm polarizer and UV.

Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:39 AM   #20

Thanks for the info Lovelife. I do not think it will work on my setup.I have a Tiffen86mm UV filter on my pana lens. The pana lens does not havea threaded end andI added the filter so I can use it's threads.They are86C threads, which I am assuming from looking at them, means course.

My thinking is I need adeep hood because I can be shootingintothe sun at times.I orderedthe Tamrom hood from B and Husing credit from the discontinued Contax hood. I should have it in a couple of days.I will let you know how things work out.