Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:27 PM   #21

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
I have a Tiffen86mm UV filter on my pana lens. The pana lens does not havea threaded end andthe filter is attached so I can use it's threads.They are86C threads, which I am assuming from looking at them, means course. I do not think your hood will work on my setup.

I am alsohoping for a deeper hood because I can be shooting into the sun at times.

I shoot birds and they are nearly into the sun many times. This is where I use my sheet plastic hood. Can be adjusted to be tubular or or a bit flared as shown. No vignetting or lens flare! No 'other side' to reflect sun back into lens!!

Hood shown on a TCON-14B Also use it on a WCON-085 105mm

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=29166

Attached Images

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:30 PM   #22

Is there a way to delete a post?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:21 PM   #23

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
While I welcome your ingenuity, your design is not affording the true protection of a lens hood. A conical shape would be more appropriate. They are two kinds of light that wash out pictures, the obvious sunlight and the not so obvious but insidious ambient light. Ambient light is the invisible bouncing light that is present all around the front of your lens. It does not present itself as a flare just washed out colors. You are shooting in excess of 640mm, and at sporting events, the big telephotos always have conical hoods. They may be ugly but are a fact of photographic life.

You can not delete the post but you can edit out all the infromation and leave 3-4 words.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:37 PM   #24

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
While I welcome your ingenuity, your design is not affording the true protection of a lens hood. A conical shape would be more appropriate. They are two kinds of light that wash out pictures, the obvious sunlight and the not so obvious but insidious ambient light. Ambient light is the invisible bouncing light that is present all around the front of your lens. It does not present itself as a flare just washed out colors. You are shooting in excess of 640mm, and at sporting events, the big telephotos always have conical hoods. They may be ugly but are a fact of photographic life.
Quote:
I like your description of "the not so obvious but insidious ambient light. Ambient light is the invisible bouncing light that is present all around the front of your lens. It does not present itself as a flare just washed out colors." I could and will make a tubular hood and try both on a tripod at the same setting. Less cutting to make a tubular one. I could make it quite longand still make an angle cut on the front so the sun wouldnot impinge on the inside of the 'hood' but long enough to keep out the ambient light. Very intriguing!
Quote:
Thanks you for the insight!
Quote:
STAN
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:29 PM   #25

No problem, glad I could help.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:58 PM   #26

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
"the true protection of a lens hood. A conical shape would be more appropriate."
Quote:
I looked your post again and see 'conical' and not 'tubular'!!! Most of the larger hoods seem to be tubular and not conical and quite short. Maybe too short to do the job.
Quote:
TCON-14B: What angle should a conical hood be set at for wide angle and full optical zoom to prevent any vignetting,I am thinkingof a truncated cone? How long should it be?
Quote:
IOW: The -14B is 3.140" in diameter. If the cone starts off at this 3.140" diameter, how do I figure the correct diameter at say 6" away from the front face?
Quote:
Thanks in advance
Quote:
STAN
Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:47 PM   #27

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
"the true protection of a lens hood. A conical shape would be more appropriate."
Quote:
I looked your post again and see 'conical' and not 'tubular'!!! Most of the larger hoods seem to be tubular and not conical and quite short. Maybe too short to do the job.
Quote:
TCON-14B: What angle should a conical hood be set at for wide angle and full optical zoom to prevent any vignetting,I am thinkingof a truncated cone? How long should it be?
Quote:
IOW: The -14B is 3.140" in diameter. If the cone starts off at this 3.140" diameter, how do I figure the correct diameter at say 6" away from the front face?
Quote:
Thanks in advance
Quote:
STAN
I had a poor choice of words tubular or cylinder is fine. The lens vignettes up to 3x 156mm, without any hood. I am designing my hood to function at 4X 208mm and above. It will have a 70mm over hang. I can see no reason why anyone would want to shoot even at 4x since the native Leica can do a better job. You will have to work out your approach. maybe the picture will help.
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:14 PM   #28

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
I shoot birds and they are nearly into the sun many times. This is where I use my sheet plastic hood. Can be adjusted to be tubular or or a bit flared as shown. No vignetting or lens flare! No 'other side' to reflect sun back into lens!!

Hood shown on a TCON-14B Also use it on a WCON-085 105mm

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=29166

Stnkline,

Here is a picture of my homemade hood. I have used it many times and it works very well. It is made of cardboard, foamcore, and electrical tape. Add paint and it looks pretty good. However it is not very durable and rain will make a mess of it.

To check for vignetting, roll a piece of paper into a tube of the desired size and length. Hold it up in front of your lens and see if there is any interference.
Attached Images

imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:21 PM   #29

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
I had a poor choice of words tubular or cylinder is fine. The lens vignettes up to 3x 156mm, without any hood. I am designing my hood to function at 4X 208mm and above. It will have a 70mm over hang. I can see no reason why anyone would want to shoot even at 4x since the native Leica can do a better job. You will have to work out your approach. maybe the picture will help.
Quote:
One more question and I think I will have all my answers. What is the inside diameter of the front end at 70mm [2 3/4"]?
Quote:
Thanks again
Quote:
Stan
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Stnkline,

Here is a picture of my homemade hood. I have used it many times and it works very well. It is made of cardboard, foamcore, and electrical tape. Add paint and it looks pretty good. However it is not very durable and rain will make a mess of it.

To check for vignetting, roll a piece of paper into a tube of the desired size and length. Hold it up in front of your lens and see if there is any interference.
Oh we are going to play my hood is better then yours. This is my development hood.It It is made from a deli container the inside is lined with the same photographic flocking used by NASA for their BIG cameras. It has a special poly primer and finished off in a silver spray. The cover is painted gloss black and functions as a hood cap.