Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:43 PM   #41

Got a call from the wife and she said I received my Tamron hood today. It only took 2 days from B and H. I can't wait to get home tonight and check it out!.

I hope to have itreconfiguredover theweekend and will post pictures if successful.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:25 PM   #42

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Got a call from the wife and she said I received my Tamron hood today. It only took 2 days from B and H. I can't wait to get home tonight and check it out!.

I hope to have itreconfiguredover theweekend and will post pictures if successful.
I checked B&H yesterday and they were out of stock. I'll be waiting for your evaluation and results. The price is right if it works.

Thanks for all your research and for being the first one to take achance

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:49 AM   #43

I spent the evening evaluating how to connect the hood to the lens. The hood attaches to the Tamron lens using a twist to lock in placesetup. I used an exacto knife (hood is plastic) and removed the raised areas for the lock on the inside diameter of the hood. I then added a piece of rubber trim around it and force fit it on the end of the lens. This worked pretty well and showed me there is no vignetting at 6x through 12x (same as the lens was designed for).

I need to decide whether to use the rubber trim and force fitthe hood on the lens or make a clamp to attach to the end. The hood is just slightly longer than the Panasonic teleconverter. It makes the lens very long, but no more heavy than it was. I am really pumped about this working and will take pictures when I am done.

Enjoy the 4th holiday!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:59 PM   #44

imaruke, can you take the exact internal measurement of the hood at the base? I'm wondering if a step-up ring could be glued to the base, thereby converting it to a screw in.:idea:

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:52 PM   #45

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
imaruke, can you take the exact internal measurement of the hood at the base? I'm wondering if a step-up ring could be glued to the base, thereby converting it to a screw in.:idea:

Hiroshi
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #666666"http://price.pricesaving.com/product...PAN_700111.htm

This is the only steup ring I could find $54.00 at this size you are playing with the big boys. That is just for a ring.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:19 PM   #46

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:

Hiroshi
B&H has one used for $12.00 also new for $19.95 86/95 S/U Ring

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;sku=118556

STAN
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:53 PM   #47

The inside diameter of the hood is 93.5 mm. The outside diameter is 95.5 mm, but this changes to a 45 degree angle 1.5 mm from the end. The outside diameterof my filter is 90.

I am thinking of turning a collar with a 91 mm inside diameter and counter boring 93.5 diameter x 1.5 or 2 mm deep. A small slit 1/2 way through and a thumbscrew to tighten it around the filter housing. Then glue this to the hood.

I will not be able to finish this for another week though. The manufacturing plant I work in closed for a week holiday and maintenance. Have to wait another week!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:04 PM   #48

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
The inside diameter of the hood is 93.5 mm. The outside diameter is 95.5 mm, but this changes to a 45 degree angle 1.5 mm from the end. The outside diameterof my filter is 90.

I am thinking of turning a collar with a 91 mm inside diameter and counter boring 93.5 diameter x 1.5 or 2 mm deep. A small slit 1/2 way through and a thumbscrew to tighten it around the filter housing. Then glue this to the hood.

I will not be able to finish this for another week though. The manufacturing plant I work in closed for a week holiday and maintenance. Have to wait another week!
Quote:
An 86mm to 95 STEP UP ring is available from B&H See my post above. Used 12$ new 19.95$

STAN

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:57 PM   #49

imaruke wrote:
Quote:

I will not be able to finish this for another week though. The manufacturing plant I work in closed for a week holiday and maintenance. Have to wait another we
You have the brain the concept and the equipment, go for it.[/quote]
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:05 AM   #50

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
An 86mm to 95 STEP UP ring is available from B&H See my post above. Used 12$ new 19.95$

STAN
Thanks, I saw your post but do not know if it will work because of the coarse thread on my filter. It is 86C mm, not just 86 mm and I have been unable to find something in print that tells me if there is a thread pitch difference.My charts and reference books don't go this large. I have seached the web for a technical spec of some sort and came up empty. It does appearthis thread is used in the pro video industry, but this is allI could find out. I really need to look harder, but I am having fun designing something.

The company I work for has acustom machining room where we can make just about anything you could think of. A collar like I am talking about would be simple to make. Just draw it in CAD and feed it to a milling machine. Material cost is zero because it is small enough to be made from scrap.