Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Hiroshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,749
Default

FYI. Anyone that was interested in purchasing a Contax #5 metal hood for their TCON 14B is out of luck.

I had special ordered one from B&H Photo about 6 weeks ago and wasjust informed that they are no longer available. Contax is out of business and their old inventory on the product is gone. Too bad. Does anyone know of another 86mm hood that can do the job without spending $100.00??????? B&H has another hood, a Canon ET-86 that I believehas 86mm thread (pic below) for $46.50...are any of you familiar with this product???

Hiroshi
Attached Images
 
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 7:57 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19
Default

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
FYI. Anyone that was interested in purchasing a Contax #5 metal hood for their TCON 14B is out of luck.

I had special ordered one from B&H Photo about 6 weeks ago and wasjust informed that they are no longer available. Contax is out of business and their old inventory on the product is gone. Too bad. Does anyone know of another 86mm hood that can do the job without spending $100.00??????? B&H has another hood, a Canon ET-86 that I believehas 86mm thread (pic below) for $46.50...are any of you familiar with this product???

Hiroshi
They show up on ebay from time to time. If you can wait 3 months Lovelife say he will be making them.
bumbiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,703
Default

Hiroshi, you might look at this. It would require an 86-77mm step down ring. Since I already have the step ring I am considering it. Ebay item no. 7500628165. If you look let me know what you think about it. I was considering stepping down and using my Hama 72mm hama hood. I can't copu and paste anything since the changes were made to this site. Am I the only one having that problem?
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 9:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,703
Default

Here is another one. item no. 3857952902
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hiroshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,749
Default

Thanks for the info Tcook.

I'm a little concerned about the 77mm size on the rubber hood, although it looks deep enough, I'm wondering if a 77mm would cause vignetting and also reduce the amount of light coming into the TCON 14B. The price sure is right!

The 86mm metal hood looks perfectexcept that it's too short. My main purpose for the hood is to keep sun rays from hittingthe glass.At 86mm, I think you need something more than 1"or1 1/2" to make that happen.

Thanks again for your help. Perhaps the more technically astute contributors to this forum will be able clarify my apprehensions.

Here's a pic of the 2 items together:
Attached Images
 
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
FYI. Anyone that was interested in purchasing a Contax #5 metal hood for their TCON 14B is out of luck.

I had special ordered one from B&H Photo about 6 weeks ago and wasjust informed that they are no longer available. Contax is out of business and their old inventory on the product is gone. Too bad. Does anyone know of another 86mm hood that can do the job without spending $100.00??????? B&H has another hood, a Canon ET-86 that I believehas 86mm thread (pic below) for $46.50...are any of you familiar with this product???

Hiroshi
It is one thing to find a 86mm hood. It is another to find a hood that is actually helps to cut sun flares and ambient light. Ambient light are the light rays that are bouncing off bright objects in front and to the sides of the front optic. The beams cross the focal light path washing out colors. If you watch any sporting events you will see the big lenses with big hoods on the end, the longer the zoom the greater the problem. My early experiments indicate that the hood must have a 86mm mount with a slight flare. I am in the prototype design phase and expect to have a product in 3 months. My hood will be as deep as possible, I want to be able to store the hood around the base of the Tcon14B so it fits in the pouch. The front of the hood will be large enough to accommodate Tcon14B's lens cap. I do not have a selling price but expect it to be under $48.00. I wish my timing could be better.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,703
Default

Since the price is right I decided to try the 77mm one.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Hiroshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,749
Default

LoveLife wrote:
It is one thing to find a 86mm hood. It is another to find a hood that is actually helps to cut sun flares and ambient light. Ambient light are the light rays that are bouncing off bright objects in front and to the sides of the front optic. The beams cross the focal light path washing out colors. If you watch any sporting events you will see the big lenses with big hoods on the end, the longer the zoom the greater the problem. My early experiments indicate that the hood must have a 86mm mount with a slight flare. I am in the prototype design phase and expect to have a product in 3 months. My hood will be as deep as possible, I want to be able to store the hood around the base of the Tcon14B so it fits in the pouch. The front of the hood will be large enough to accommodate Tcon14B's lens cap. I do not have a selling price but expect it to be under $48.00. I wish my timing could be better.
LoveLife, considering that there is noting on the market that does the job right under a $100.00, your timing is just right! :idea:
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:53 PM   #9
Member
 
imaruke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 97
Default

This is disappointing news. I have been waiting for a Contax #5 Metal Hood for 8 1/2weeks now.Just today I got an email from B and H that said they did not knowthe status of my order. I even asked them if it was still available because of what happened to Contax cameras. Go figure?

I aminterested in any ideas anyone has on another hood.Lovelife, it sounds like you have the right idea, I have the pana tele but the field of view on these lenses is very shallow. I added a homemade hood that was 1/2" larger than the O.D. of the lens and 5" deep and it works great without vignetting. Just won't hold up like a metal hoodwould. Count me in when you are ready to putyours on the market.

Hiroshi - The hoodin the picturelooks like it needs an adapter ring because it has no threads on the outside? Is a it a press fit or internal threads?
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Hiroshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,749
Default

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi - The hoodin the picturelooks like it needs an adapter ring because it has no threads on the outside? Is a it a press fit or internal threads?
I don't know. I need to call B&H and get the specs on it. I'm tempted to wait for LoveLife's hood if it's more substantial.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:16 AM.