Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1

1) I have an FZ5. What lens caps do you folks prefer? I have been using the stock "squeeze clip" one, but I don't really like it hanging around when I'm taking pictures.
I also have a screw-in one, not real convenient. I'm thinking that a flip-down one might work best. Found one mfg that makes it in 55mm. Any opinions?

2) Do you folks lubricate filter threads at all? Seems like the metal ones need a drop of WD-40 or silicone, unless you are fond of fingernails-on-the-chalkboard type noises.

Thanks! And here is a picture of the OpTech FastCap I found in 55mm. Supposedly has a spring-loaded cap and a dust-proof O-ring seal
Attached Images

trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:12 PM   #2

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
1) I have an FZ5. What lens caps do you folks prefer? I have been using the stock "squeeze clip" one, but I don't really like it hanging around when I'm taking pictures.
I also have a screw-in one, not real convenient. I'm thinking that a flip-down one might work best. Found one mfg that makes it in 55mm. Any opinions?

2) Do you folks lubricate filter threads at all? Seems like the metal ones need a drop of WD-40 or silicone, unless you are fond of fingernails-on-the-chalkboard type noises.

Thanks!
Not a good idea, getting Wd-40on the optics can cause big problems. How would you clean the rear element? A cloth could hit the threads and transfere a film to the filter.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:21 PM   #3

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!
Buy a little pack of those little velcro dots, place oneof the "spikes" part in the center of the lens cap with the"cloth"part of the velcroattached to your camera strap (the cloth part is easier to sew in). When you take the Lens cap off of the camera, just attach to the dot on the camera strap and its out of the way. Works like magic for me.

BTW, thanks for the idea on the silicone. My T6 is a bear to get off if I torque it a little too tight.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote