Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:59 AM   #1

I searched the site for this, and have tried all of the recommended software. Nothing seems to fit the bill. So if everyone is up for another discussion on the subject, here goes.

I have d/l'd and trialed at least a dozen programs from free to expensive, and none seem to have the total package. Most are good at some things, but lacking some key function. Here's what I need:

**A slideshow that will autorun and play good quality images with DVD player/TV.

**The ability to randomize the slides, either in the work pane or when burned.

**The ability to burn to SVCD.

**The ability to select a "margin", so that the TV screen doesn't crop the images.

**It must loop the slideshow.

I won't list any more, as most software lets you add music, captions, etc...

Or...should I be thinking of using any slide show that will create the basic .mpg file, and use separate burning software to achieve the rest?

Thank you.
CTPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:44 AM   #2

SVCD is really for computer viewing. Unless you author using good DVD software you probably won't be satisified with what you see via a DVD player. It takes a long time to convert a slideshow into actual video for DVD AND you need a very good computer to do it even slowly. It CAN be done but it's not as simple as most think. If you haven't done so already, I suggest doing a search online for articles that explain the process thoroughly. I went through the process a little over a year ago, and it took months of reading and learning; it's not something that can be explained in just a few words. Sorry.

As far as software, I found that there is no one package that can do it all. Some claim to, but my experience is that they are the ones that have the most 'bugs'. I ended up making a series of smaller clips (5 to 10 minutes)with a program called 3-D Album (full of bugs though, very frustrating to use but cool results), converted them to video and then used VideoStudio8 to put them all together.

Wish I could explain more/better.

cjhCharlie
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer on slideshows, but I'll try to share what little I know.

It looks to me you need to burn two different slideshows. One for the computer and one for the TV/DVD player. DVD players don't autorun – you push the play button. Since autorun is a computer player function it appears you want to play on both the DVD and computer.

You run a slideshow on a DVD player as a SVCD. Basically you play a movie with a series of stills. I think any decent slideshow program that says it is for your TV would set that up automatically. There is no way to randomize that playback. Size shouldn't be a problem if you record it in the right format for your TV. I'm guessing that good slideshow recording software would give a choice of not only NTSC or PAL, but HD as well. If you record in HD I would think it will be cropped on a standard TV. Sound is part of the movie and any software that records slideshows to SVCD or DVD should include instructions for making the sound track. Looping would be a function of the DVD player.

I trust you have tried a SVCD on your DVD player. Not all DVD players will run them. Most will.

SVCD is an inefficient way to run a slideshow on a computer. With the separate images they can be randomized and adding sound is no problem. I think even Irfanview can do all that, but I think you have to use Nero to put an Irfanview show on CD. If the program doesn't have an autorun setting it is simple to put the autorun files in the root directory: http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/autorun.html There is a link to the files you need. If the program sets the slideshow up to autorun it would just do the same thing. The files are handy though as they can be used on any CD you write.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4

You might want to read this thread

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7593-0....ssageID=621365
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:13 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies and links. Whew! I didn't understand that autorun only applied to a PC show. I had concluded that a slide show for TV and one for a PC are two different animals. And, yes, the realization has sunk in that despite seeming on it's face to be relatively straightforward, this is a complicated proposition!

SVCD doesn't in fact look as good as I'd like on TV, but for my purposes, I am willing to settle to avoid the huge amount of time to make a DVD. Regular VCD just looks like crap on TV.

For slipe, when you said looping would be a function of the DVD player, what exactly did you mean? Some will, some won't, or is there a setting on all DVD players?

Also, I have made nice slideshows to autorun on my PC, it's the TV that is driving me nuts.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:16 PM   #6

There is a program called ProShow Gold, which you can download and try freely for 30 days. It is fully operational and creates beautiful shows. I'm new to the software so I can't say for sure if it will do all that you require. I have created a couple of practice shows, burned them to DVD directly from the program and they show beautifully on our TV. There is a very active Yahoo group for this software and someone there could answer your questions. There are several professional photographers who contribute to the list andwho share their knowledge of the program with the list members. To learn more about the proshowgroup group, please visit
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proshowgroup

The website for this program is:http://www.photodex.com/products/

I have no connection with this company, other than being a satisfied customer. Best of luck with your search.

Mary
maryleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:44 PM   #7

I don't know what proportion of DVD players will start back from the beginning automatically and effectively loop the DVD. Mine does.

If you compressed a full DVD movie to SVCD or VCD you will find the quality crappy. You are compressing around 4Gb down to 700Mb and running it for 2 hours. You can set the quality of SVCD to give only 35minutes on a 700Mb CD. The quality is evidently quite acceptable at that compression. Did you record your SVCD at the maximum bit rate?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:01 PM   #8

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Did you record your SVCD at the maximum bit rate?
I don't know. I burned it with MySlideShow, I didn't see options for bit rate. The only number I see, and I don't know what it means, is 29.97 fps.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:09 PM   #9

maryleek wrote:
Quote:
There is a program called ProShow Gold, which you can download and try freely for 30 days. It is fully operational and creates beautiful shows. I'm new to the software so I can't say for sure if it will do all that you require. I have created a couple of practice shows, burned them to DVD directly from the program and they show beautifully on our TV. There is a very active Yahoo group for this software and someone there could answer your questions. There are several professional photographers who contribute to the list and*who share their knowledge of the program with the list members. To learn more about the proshowgroup group, please visit
*http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proshowgroup

The website for this program is:*http://www.photodex.com/products/*

I have no connection with this company, other than being a satisfied customer. Best of luck with your search.

Mary
I did trial ProShow, but I don't think it was ProShow Gold. As I recall, I could burn VCD or DVD, but not SVCD, and there was no loop option. I'll have another look to see if the "Gold" version has what I need. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:15 PM   #10

I just found the followinginformation by searching my Proshow Gold archived messages:

From Photodex support: if you are burning a cd or dvd, if you check NO MENU, then you don't have to click anything to get the show started. It will load up and play. It is when no menu is checked that the show will also loop forever, if you check that.

from another message: I am now burning dvd/cd without a menu. It works better in that it starts right away and will loop.I also changed the desaturation to 80% as instructed by psg support, and this worked better too.

and from the ProShow Gold help file:

Supported Output Formats...

DVD, VCD, SVCD, XVCD, XSVCD, CVD, MiniDVD

It looks like ProShow Gold might be worth a look.

Mary
maryleek is offline   Reply With Quote