Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1

I am looking to buy a wide angle converter to use with fz-20. I've found lots of info and comments on wcon-08b, wcon-07, dcr-6600pro and dcr-720 but could hardly find any info and comments on raynox hd-7000pro and dcr-5000 (apart from one Japanese site which has info on hd-7000pro).

Have anyone used these two wide angle converters? I would be interested to know how do they perform (vignetting, zoom range, image quality, sharpness, distortion, etc.)? Are they on par with wcon-08b?

Thanks.

skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:25 PM   #2

I am not sure this is an answer but the DCR 730 seems to be much better than the 720.

And a while ago I asked Raynox for o good quality WAlens that will perform good on a FZ10 with no vignetting even with a polarizer attached and they recommended the HD7000
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:49 PM   #3

I have the dcr5000 and have used it with the fz1 and fz5. At .5x, it is close to being a fisheye lens although it doesn't vignett at wa. Itexhibitssevere barrel distortion and soft corners. I don't consider it to be much of a wa lens with either the fz1 or fz5 and would expect it to be even worse with the fz20 although I don't know that. Obviously, the wcon08 is going to give betterimage quality, but at only .8x one wonders whether it is enough wide angle extension to bother with.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:20 PM   #4

Thanks genece and fmoore.

genece wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure this is an answer but the DCR 730 seems to be much better than the 720.

And a while ago I asked Raynox for o good quality WAlens that will perform good on a FZ10 with no vignetting even with a polarizer attached and they recommended the HD7000
Do you know any site where I can find more info on dcr-730 apart from raynox site? Do you know if dcr-730 has barrel distortion like dcr-720 does? Does dcr-730 give sharp images?

Do you have any other info on hd-7000pro? How sharp is the image and does it has barrel distortion?

Did raynox recommend hd-7000pro over dcr-730?

Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:32 PM   #5

skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:
Thanks genece and fmoore.

genece wrote:
Quote:

Do you know any site where I can find more info on dcr-730 apart from raynox site? Do you know if dcr-730 has barrel distortion like dcr-720 does? Does dcr-730 give sharp images?

Do you have any other info on hd-7000pro? How sharp is the image and does it has barrel distortion?

Did raynox recommend hd-7000pro over dcr-730?

Thanks.
The raynox site is the only place I saw the examples and they seemed much sharper than the 720 which I have but do not like.

The distortion seems about the same but I did not think it was bad on the 720.

And I do not believe the DCR730 was out at the time they recommended the HD7000

Email their support ..I found them to be helpfulbut a little slow to respond.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:37 PM   #6

I did a specification comparison between dcr-730 and hd-7000pro.

dcr-730

- 2-group/2-element hi index glass

- High resolution 375-line/mm

hd-7000pro

- 3-group/3-element high definition design

- High resolution 540-line/mm

What does #-group/#-element mean? Is 3 better than 2?

Is higher #-line/mm better?

Thanks.

Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:11 PM   #7

Generally ...I think ...more elements mean a clearer picture

and more lines of resolution mean its sharper

I guess the HD 7000 is better but I kind of got that idea from the price.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:08 PM   #8

genece wrote:
Quote:
Generally ...I think ...more elements mean a clearer picture

and more lines of resolution mean its sharper

I guess the HD 7000 is better but I kind of got that idea from the price.
Thanks.

To get maximum result, do I need to get raynox adapter to use with hd-7000pro? If I use phayee adapter with step-ring, will the image be degraded e.g. vignetting etc.?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:27 PM   #9

I would only be guessing but I do not think it would make much difference if you go a thin 62 to 58mm step ring. some are much thinner than others.

Or another option might be to see how close Lovelife is to marketting his adapter.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:29 PM   #10

genece wrote:
Quote:
I would only be guessing but I do not think it would make much difference if you go a thin 62 to 58mm step ring. some are much thinner than others.

Or another option might be to see how close Lovelife is to marketting his adapter.
Which step-ring brand is the thinnest? Thanks.