Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:31 PM   #1

I bought a little 4 x close-up lense just to see how they work.....
Well...mine does not work at all. I seem to be only able top focus at 1x zoom and even then there seems hardly any difference with taking the pic from the same distance without the close-up. I don't know what I am doing wrong? Is there something I should know?????

Here are some flowers I enthusiastically "attacked" in front of my neighbours flat today and the camera just would not focus! Have I wasted my money in buying the lense? (the photos are pleasant enough I guess but really no different to ones taken without the lense)

Pic 1:

Attached Images

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:32 PM   #2

Pic 2 (after heavy duty photoshopping):

Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:33 PM   #3

pic 3:

Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:33 PM   #4

pic 4:

Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:17 PM   #5

Nice pictures. I don't see a problem here, the flowers are in focus, aren't they?

When using a close-up lens, the distance to the object is very important. Justtry to find out the distance where focussing is possible (6'' - 7''should work with your lens).
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:49 PM   #6

Great Pics...I do not see much of a problem with focussing here..

Well Jussi...my 2 cents on focussing with close-up lens (not that I know much:lol::lolI was having the similar problem some time back...the best thing to do is to move the camera horizontally front and back from the subject you are shooting. You will find a range where the subject may seem to come in focus...that is where you can use the auto-focus and nail :|the subject .
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:06 PM   #7

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
I bought a little 4 x close-up lense just to see how they work.....
Well...mine does not work at all. I seem to be only able top focus at 1x zoom and even then there seems hardly any difference with taking the pic from the same distance without the close-up. I don't know what I am doing wrong? Is there something I should know?????

Here are some flowers I enthusiastically "attacked" in front of my neighbours flat today and the camera just would not focus! Have I wasted my money in buying the lense? (the photos are pleasant enough I guess but really no different to ones taken without the lense)
At 1x zoom, you're right. The add-on close-up lens will have little if any effect. What do you mean by a "little 4x close-up lens"? If you mean it's a +4 diopter lens, then you would focus from about 10" away from the subject at higher zooms. Closer or further you will not be able to focus. That working distance is fixed by the diopter power of the close-up lens. Furthermore, the lens you're using is probably a single glass element lens and will give good focus at the center but soft towards the edges. A dual element lens such as the +3 diopter nikon 4t or 6t will flatten the clear focus out to the edges. A +3 diopter lens has a working distance of about 13" at higher zooms.

Thepppic is pretty cool. The last two are overexposed. But, yes, you could have achieved the same results without the close-up at only 1x zoom.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:37 AM   #8

Thanks for all comments!

fmoore,
Thanks for information. But I found the camera would not focus far or close at all outside of 1x....I have to try again today to see what is wrong.
I am sorry to be an idiot with this but I thought the close-up lenses do what macro does? What setting of auto focus should I use. I usually have mine at No.2 permanently.
I could see it focus for a tenth of a second and the lose it again like it was "confused" by the new lens?
Yes I meant +4. I was going to buy +3 but they were not in stock so took the next one up.
Has anyone good pictures to show what these close-up lenses can do?

Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:52 AM   #9

The camera should be in P, A, S, or M mode with the close-up lens; NOT macro mode. Sounds like that could be the problem. As stated, +4 should focus at about 10 inches away.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:50 PM   #10

I sort of managed to get "an almost in focus" shot of a cadle flame today from about 10" away and zooming I think 4x....I tried all modes and it seemed to focus best in M and P modes.
I realise I ought to try a tripod to keep steadier.

Attached Images