Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:45 PM   #11

Wonderfull shots Nick, to me it has that film look, the bokeh is great (the grain is just visible in the out of focus areas.... typical of film)
Something about the tonal range that comes over well even on an LCD screen from a WEB forum mage.

D76 1 + 1 or Ilford ID11 is hard to beat... a few drops of wetting agent in the final rise water aids even emulsion drying

And yes pulling the finished neg. out and viewing the images that have obviously turned out well is VERY satisfying.

Hope to see some more images.... I loved using filters to darken skies and bring out the clouds in landscapes .... the bonus was a drive out to the country away from the city

Cheers

ps.

B&W can be expressive beyond "Kodak clolor" even with FILM grain and some blurr

Melbourne Arts centre Minolta srt102 slr 135mm / f3.5 @ 1/60th TRIX

Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:35 PM   #12

wow Nick these are spectacular , makes me want to hang on to my NIkon N80

and try all over again at learning film . But i hardly have enough time for digital tho

Look forward to some more film pics :|

Also Boyzo nice picture as well , looks like a photo from your younger years by the looks of the apparel . P.S. i see Hiroshi's go-t is sticking with ya :G
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:53 PM   #13

pappy wrote:

Yes its an Oldie ...... shhhh ......

Just shaved it off again

Quote:
Also Boyzo nice picture as well , looks like a photo from your younger years by the looks of the apparel . P.S. i see Hiroshi's go-t is sticking with ya :G
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:06 PM   #14

Very nice, Nick. It sure brings back memories....I have the same 3170 scanner, so if you can get these kind of results....maybe I should bring my 35mm cameras out of retirement

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:29 PM   #15

Thank you all for you very kind words! Too many to thank individually. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated. Boyzo... absolutely LOVE that photo!!! Fantastic. Thanks for the tips about adding the wetting agent and filters, too!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:08 PM   #16

Nick, you're a troublemaker!

After reading this thread, I've noticed that my 35mm cameras are calling to me. The voices are faint, so I hadn't noticed them until now.

There's no way I'm going to spend money on film equipment, so medium format isn't a consideration. But I do remember how much fun I had shooting Tri-X my Yashica Lynx 5000, a good rangefinder with a (non-interchangeable) f/1.8 46mm lens. I'm starting to wonder just how much it was cost to get it cleaned and in shooting shape...

But no, I'm gonna resist! My FZ20 provides just about all the photographic fun I can handle at present. (And my pocket camera, a Fuji F10, takes care of the rest.) I'll get by without having control over depth of field, but you and some others have inspired me to try shooting digital black and white, as a way to extend and enhance the camera's low light capability. That's as far as I'll go, and not one step further! (Today...)

Thanks for some inspiring and thought-provoking images.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:07 AM   #17

After reading all your comments my SLR's and old Leica Rangefinders are calling me.... specially I miss the precious "bokeh" that good film cameras are able to provide...

After 6 months with my FZ20 I'm very satisfied woth the camera but I still don't have the skills to control DOF...

What is your experience and tips about DOF?
guixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:11 PM   #18

Hey Nick, very nice work indeed !*You have inspired several of us on this forum it seems. Myself as well !My old 35mm manual Yashica FX3 has a new life. I am finding some great glass on ebay cheap !* Contax Zeiss lenses are also out there for a low price and are the same mount. * ** ** *I am also looking for a low cost entry to the med. format world. I found a nice old TLR that looks like I can purchase for very reasonable price.What have you started here ?Thank you for the inspiration !!Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:46 PM   #19

RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote