Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1

Any suggestions would be very helpful. I am looking for a camera I can take with me at all times.

wolves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:32 PM   #2

What kind of functionality do you want? Full manual controls? Optical viewfinder? etc.
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:32 PM   #3

I picked up a inexpensive Minolta Xt on ebay, and a leather case to carry it in, also on ebay. I have about $150 in the "kit" including memory & extra battery. It's a 3X internal optical zoom, and a 3 megapixel detector. Takes very good photos. Not as good as my FZ20, but I don't expect it to. It's 3 x 3.5 x 1.1 max thick in the case. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:05 PM   #4

I will beusing it indoors as well as outdoors so I wil need to be able to view the lcd to focus shots. Not sure how good the panasonic is since it doesnt have an optical finder. I use manual control on the FZ10, but will not be a must for the smaller pocket camera as long as there are some scene settings.
wolves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:33 PM   #5

My in-laws have a Canon SD500. If you don't mind dishing out $450 for a pocket cam then this would be my choice. One of the best all-around cameras I've ever used. Picture quality is superb, it s quite quick and responsive and has a ton of features for such a small package. If your not worried about sharing SD cards with the FZ10 and want something more inexpensive thenI would also look at the Fuji F10. Played with one at a store and it looks to have great battery life and it is usable at higher ISO than most (good for low light/indoor).
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:08 PM   #6

I have an FX7, a nice one for the money and it has OIS. THe nice thing is that if you have a Panny Lumix already, the menus are very similar so you will be comfortable with it immediately. It is basically a P&S 5 MPixel camera, very slim, no optical viewfinder, you have to use the LCD and you will need to buy at least 1 extra battery.

It also uses the same SD memory the FZ's use, so you can swap them if one card is full.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:41 PM   #7

I am in the same position. I have got an FZ10 but find many occasions when I can't be bothered carrying it around so I'm looking for a good quality ultra compact. There seems to be three options - the Canon SD500 (called the ixus 700 in the UK); the Casio Z750 and the newly released Panasonic FX8 (according to the LUMIX website this is not on sale in the US and Canada). The pana FX8 is a lovely little thing and they have apparently corrected some of the problems with the FX7 - it has double the battery life and a boosted 2.5 inch LCD to allow improved viewing in sunny conditions. It still only has 5mp however - the Canon and the Casio have 7mp. I am trying to weigh up whether I need the extra 2 mp or whether the Mega OIS on the Pana makes up for the pixels. It also sports the `Venus Plus` engine - this seems to be an improved version of the old Venus engine but not quite as capable as the Venus II found on the recent FZ's.
Can anyone help me make this decision? The FX8 does not seem to have been reviewed yet on any of the main sites and I am a little nervous laying out so much cash (£250) just on Panasonics own description of how wonderful it is. I am also wary of buying it only to find it superceded by a newer model in a months time (That happened when I bought my FZ10).
Powza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 5:18 PM   #8

I am in the same boat. Looking at all the test shots in different reviews, I would say Canon SD500 has the best image quality among the cameras I considered (Casio Z750, Fuji F10, Sony P200). It is so detail, that when I compared these images to the ones taken by bigger and more expensive cameras (SLRs included), the images of SD500looked on par or even better. How did Canon squeze such a good image quality into such a small body? I always had Canon's before and I just love their multi-point focus.The screenshows you multiple green boxes (9 maximum) on those parts of the image that the camera is focused on. Very convinient, you don't have to guess if the part of an image you want to be focused on is in focus or not. Most professional reviews put Canon SD500 ahead of all other pocket-size cameras. When I asked at thelocal stores which camera I should buy, I got the reply "SD500" eventhough it was not in stock. A big minus is a short battery life of Canon SD500: 160 shots per charge using the CIPA standard. It translates to 103 minutes of a continouos use in thecapture mode, with the LCD turned on. My previous Canon Powershot S50was rated at210 shots per charge and even that was too small. For comparison, Casio z750 can take 325 shots/charge, Sony p200 cn take 370 shots, and Fuji F10 can take 500 shots. Another downer for Canon is that its LCD is reported to be too fragile. I am not sure if that is a wide-sppread problem or not. But it has a significant consideration for me since I drop a camera quite often.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Casio z750 comes very close to SD500 in image quality and gives you manual controls (don't care) and a better movie mode (don't care either). Smaller size too. Fuji F10 can take very nice pictures in low light without a flash. Sony p200 also has manual controls and no red eye problem. But, the proprietary memory stick ... yak! For me, the choice really comes down to Canon SD500 vs Casio Z750. Still not decided which one.
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:25 AM   #9

I also have a FZ10 and after a lot of checking reviews, sample pictures and features I ended up with the Z750.

One of the things I like about it is the ease of use. I'm convinced Leica put the focus ring and nice manual focus setup on the lens, because the rest of the FZ10 is far below some point and shoot cameras for the control setup. You have to go to the menu for the simplest of things like flash modes and spot metering. The Z750 is exactly the opposite. It is a dream to use. The camera was obviously designed by enthusiasts.

The past movie mode is neat. You can wait for something to happen and then push record. It records the previous 5 seconds and continues recording until you stop it. So you don't have to grind away waiting for something to develop. And the MPEG4 uses only about a quarter of the memory space compared to cameras with the same resolution and frame rate like the SD500. And the movies are very good.

It has a focus mode where you can focus anywhere in the frame using the LCD. It also has a multi focus that focuses on the nearest thing in the frame regardless of position. I leave it in spot focus. I don't want to be guessing where it is focusing or fooling with the LCD and having to check it to make sure I didn't move the focus point. If the subject isn't in the center I just use the focus lock.

I like the way they use the internal memory. Much better than a throw-away little card. You can store a very large permanent photo album in the internal memory. You can also have your own custom settings with a photo to remind you what the situation was when you made the settings.

The earlier models had the default sharpening, contrast and saturation too high. It has a good range of settings for those and everyone was able to get the camera taking pictures they liked. Later releases didn't have the problem. Mine is subdued at default.

If you wear glasses for far vision the camera might not be the best choice. The viewfinder is small and has no diopter correction. It is fine if you wear contacts or have good distance vision.

Resolution is about a wash with the SD500 and a tad below the F10. From the dpreview standard resolution tests:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote